Thread: Growing Tobacco in the Home Garden

Blog Entries

Default Growing Tobacco in the Home Garden

I was looking around for some Gardening Tips in my area, and stumbled across this guide the University of Florida put out:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/AA260

I think I'm going to look for some seeds and see if I grow a few plants next year jusr for fun. The area I live in conveniently had some shade tobacco farms up until the mid 1900's, you can drive around and still see some big tobacco barns out in the country side. I’m guessing the soil/climate conditions here should be perfect for tobacco.

Has anyone grown Tobacco before?
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I've been trying to convince my wife that growing my own tobacco and rolling my own cigars would be much cheaper, and I could chop up some leftovers for her cigarettes too.

Searching around I've found a couple of sites for seed, http://www.tobaccoseed.ca/ and http://www.coffinails.com/. The second site seems to have a better variety and a lot of information on growing tobacco as well as a decent set of forums, they also have a short primer on rolling cigars.

Another site that I've found that has a more extensive growing and rolling explanation is http://www.guerrillero.co.cu/sitiota...lesh/index.htm

Now if I can only convince my wife.
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Blog Entries

I would love to try, but where we live now, in the high desert of central Oregon, the growing season is very short. I would even have the blessing of my better half, as she's the one that got me interested in this hobby in the first place. But the conditions don't allow it here.

I've always wondered about the tobacco blending process, and what that looks like. I've read that several blends are first created, then sampled, before a new line of cigar is distributed and sold, but what I don't know are what kinds of tobacco make for better fillers, binders, and wrappers? I'm assuming there has already been a good bit of research done on this topic, but just don't know where to look.

Baking bread and making cheese, there are "bibles" of those hobbies well known to aficionados of every nuance associated with their respective subject, but I am not aware of any in the cigar world.......

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I grew up in a small town in the foothills of NC. There were ALOT of tobacco farms. One of the big old white houses on Main St. had 2 huge plants on either side of the front walk every summer. Yes I think we knew it was tobacco country. We even had a factory. I smoked alot of free Luckies and Tareytons when I was a kid. We had a Miller cannery too.

Hex, talk to diesel/chris, he's doing an experiment with it over on CPass right now. BTW, good to see you're alive
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Thread Information