Thread: looking for suggestions

Default looking for suggestions

What cigars would you suggest for a newbie? Here's what I'm looking for:

- Limit your suggestions to five.
    - Can be purchased individually.
    - Price no object.
    - Why you would recommend them.

I guess I'm looking for a dream list of what I should try, to get a sense of what's out there. And to avoid making bad choices on my own!

Thanks.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

Mild, med or full? There's some fine cigars you don't want to try on an empty stomach. For a nice medium maduro - Cao MX2 or Carlos Torano Virtuoso. For something spicey- any red label Tatuaje or an Oliva V in torp or double robusto. For a nice smooth med natural- Carlos Torano Exodus 1959. For milder- Perdomo Cuban Cafe(not a Cuban). None of these are over $10. For over $10, try a Padron 1964 or 1926 any size . Same for Ashton VSG . Any of thes cigars should be readily available at a good shop except for the Oliva V torp which is in high demand.
    Last edited by pub spears; 03-25-2008 at 04:56 PM. Reason: smile

Thanks for your list, pub spears. I'm surmising I don't want to try a full-bodied quite yet (probably kill me) but something mild to medium that a newbie can handle.
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

1) Punch Champion, cheap smoke, great smoke, classic domestic punch flavor that is enhanced with the figurado shape.

2) Carlos Toraņo Exodus 1959 Robusto- another value smoke that has great and consistent flavor.

3) Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story-4-5 bucks a stick, another figurado and absolutely delicious.

4) Arturo Fuente Work of Art Madure-Hard to find, again, figurado, flavor out of this world

5) Partagas Presidente ISOM-What do you know, another figurado, one of my favorite isoms.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Blog Entries

I felt compelled to share with you 5 cigars I have truly enjoyed since I started smoking cigars. According to your introductory posts, it looks as if we are about on the same page, and perhaps similar palate. Take each with a grain of salt, and I would hope you would be willing to share your favorites so far as well.

1) Padron #4000 Maduro - Nice cigar that isn't too strong, but definitely flavorful. Has a nice spiciness to it, and isn't overwhelmingly long, yet not short, either.

2) Rocky Patel Sun Grown - This was my first sun-grown, and now I'm hooked on them. The taste (to me) isn't quite maduro-ish, yet provides more flavor (in my experience and opinion) than non-maduro sticks. Oily wrapper that stayed together well the hour+ I was smoking it.

3) Partagas Black - Of the black cigars I've tried so far, this is my favorite. I've also tried a Gloria Cubana #6 Maduro and a Cohiba Black Supremo. The Partagas had a nice blend of sweetness that wasn't overwhelming, but noticeable. The Piramides have a very tight draw - I have to punch mine.

4) Arturo Fuente King B - The greatest thing I liked about this was taste. It just kept going, and changing throughout the length of the cigar. I've only seen these once at my local B&M, and the guy said he didn't know when there would be more.

5) Macanudo Vintage 2000 - I know Mac's aren't popular to real cigar smokers, and perhaps I'll see the light soon. But I enjoyed every inch of this cigar - burned very easily, good taste to the nub, not to strong, but not unpleasant, either.

There you go, from one noob to another. I have some definite dislikes, as well, but maybe for another thread.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thumbs up Suggestion

Greetings,
    I'll just throw one more in here in addition to the (very good) suggestions above:
    I would recommend the Romeo y Julieta Viejo. It is a mild-ish medium and has absolutely no bitterness. I'm not sure if it is carried by all the online vendors, but I got my last 5ver from Cigar International...I think they run about $5.
    I think it may be one of the mildest maduros I've ever tried.
    Happy Days!
    I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

Weldon

Blog Entries

Fonseca (just about all blends)
    Gispert maduro
    CT Casa Torano
    CT Vintage Cameroon
    Cusano 18 dbl maduro

IMO, all the above are mild/med yet flavorful......all are also very affordable.....they are always in my cooler or humi, at least a few of each. I really like the Gispert mad with my morning coffee.

AVO CLASSIC
    AVO XO
    ZINO CLASSIC
    ZINO SCEPTER
    SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL

Here are 5 cigars by one of the greatest boutique cigars makers, Davidoff. The cigars vary from light ,smooth and creamy .............to a solid medium body w/ cocoa with strong cuban roots. Enjoy the process.

Thanks for those great suggestions everyone, I appreciate your help. I'm compiling a list of all the suggestions.

I've hooked up with Cabaiguan Juan for a newbie exchange and it will be interesting to see what he chooses for me. All in all I should have a lot of options available, and sure to have a pleasant time trying them.

You guys rock!
    - Freddy

"Shut up," he explained.
    - Ring Lardner Jr.

Thread Information