Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nub

Default Nub

Anyone try a NUB by Oliva yet? Looks like an interesting smoke. nubcigar

I haven't tried one yet but I REAAAAAAALLY want to. They sound great.

Interesting concept, can't wait to try one.

Says it smokes as long as a Churchill

Creative marketing. Sell you less tobacco for the same price. Check out this:

This is in relation to Wrigley's new packaging, but the concept transfers.

Brian Morgan, senior research analyst at Euromonitor, Chicago, concurred: "[Package shrink] is the strategy that has been used in many categories to accomplish a price increase without consumers really noticing or to smooth over the negative reaction."

Morgan added that, in the gum category more so than in other categories, consumers would likely respond positively to slimmer packaging: "Packaging innovations like that do make a difference, independent of what that does to the price."

Though the new packaging is, in effect, a price increase, Wrigley is hailing it as a packaging breakthrough. "Consumers like the fact that [the envelope] is slim, sleek; it feels very contemporary," said Chibe.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Interesting BigMac

Only one way to find out. I'll let the cigar do the deciding for me

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU View Post
    Creative marketing. Sell you less tobacco for the same price.
    There is a LOT of tobacco in a 4x64 cigar...probably as much as in a typical londsale, and certainly more than in a typical robusto (or corona, PC, etc, obviously). These are supposed to retail for around seven bucks, and are apparently quite good. I'd pay $7 for a good lonsdale/robusto/etc, so I don't see the problem here. Innovative =/= gimmicky.

8. Default

Ive had a few. Good cigars,worth finding and trying

FWIW I had some before any of the cigar live crew of asshats even heard of em
    The older I get ,the better I was

I am not a huge fan of large girth cigars, but I may have to give them a try in the future.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Blog Entries

I'll try them, but if you think about it, if you don't actually NUB it, there's a lot of tobacco left in a 1" X 64 butt, as opposed to a 1" X 48 lonsdale.

I Have heard good things, and I love big cigars. Usually longer vitolas though.

Smokes as long as a churchill, huh?? I bet they smoke really cool
    Last edited by bigwhiteash; 04-01-2008 at 09:22 PM.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    I am not a huge fan of large girth

I would like to try one though I do think the idea of hitting the cigar "sweet spot" right off the bat is a little ridiculous.
    Originally Posted by Heftysmokes:
    Maybe I should do a movie review on Apollo 13 and tell you all "that's as real as it gets" since I'm a fucking astronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by JFellows View Post
    There is a LOT of tobacco in a 4x64 cigar...probably as much as in a typical londsale, and certainly more than in a typical robusto (or corona, PC, etc, obviously). These are supposed to retail for around seven bucks, and are apparently quite good. I'd pay $7 for a good lonsdale/robusto/etc, so I don't see the problem here. Innovative =/= gimmicky.
    Depends on the size you get. Their largest ring gauge works, not their narrower ones. (Site had three different gauges). Also larger leafs that are good enough to be wrappers are more expensive, these won't require leaves as large, so the wrappers are less expensive on smaller vitolas too.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

The hype has gotten old on this cigar. Like to smoke Olivas, want to try this new one, but getting wary of the hype. After the sucess of the V and it's resulting scarcity, Oliva is sure to sell these out weather they're that great or not. The are supposed to be constructed of the finest wrapper, binder and filler, but still be affordable and be a long burning, short cigar? Now I'm all set up to be dissapointed because it doesn't live up to the hype. Maybe they will take some demand off the V's and we can stock up on those.

DELETED

Double posted b/c I was working from my wife's crackberry.
    Last edited by BigMacFU; 04-02-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    I do think the idea of hitting the cigar "sweet spot" right off the bat is a little ridiculous.
    I agree, the site says this would happen but I don't think it will. The "sweet spot" usually occurs after smoking the cigar for some time. The smoke/tobacco/flavor travels from the foot of the cigar towards the head and the flavor builds up.

Blog Entries

I like Oliva's.......but, I don't believe the hype on this smoke and lean more towards this being a creative marketing ploy and little else. I might try one, maybe, but I have many other smokes in that price range I would rather pick up, and large ring gauge cigars are not my first choice.......unless of course they are imported and purchased on free Yahoo internet.

Well, any cigar that you can stand on it ash would have to be pretty well rolled. Why you would want to stand one on end beats me.
    The Nub: http://nubcigar.com/intro_nub.php
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT%20Nub%20Stand.JPG 
Views:	177 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	786  

They are nice! Our store carries all 3 lines: Habanos, Conn. and Cameroon. So far the most popular size is the torpedo.

I like Olivas and would like to try one of these. It would have to be very good for the price. I'm not looking forward to convinceing the wife, though.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

20. Default

I wonder...If you hit "the sweet spot" upon lighting just how complex is this cigar? A cigar develops from where it is lit to the end. I fear there is more hype than actuality in this cigar. I'd try one...Just don't think I'd buy a box.

It will be interesting to see how this thing goes.

Thread Information