Thread: Homemade mini stinky cigar ashtray

Default Homemade mini stinky cigar ashtray

After getting a little frustrated trying to track one of these down at a good price it hit me, why not just make one? I mean its pretty much just a salad bowl. So i went to Walmart and picked up a $2 stainless steel bowl, went home and cut up the metal cap from one of my empty bottles, glued it all together with a glue gun and voila!

Might add more 'stirrups'? and reinforce them with some solder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03396.JPG 
Views:	1625 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	788   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03395.JPG 
Views:	818 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	789  

if you aren't worried about aesthetics... grab you a coffee can and a pair of pliers, use the pliers to bend in the coffee can in at least one place to make a built in stirrup (grab the can about an inch down from the top and bend toward the inside until the spot your bending is perpendicular to the rest of the can.)... i have me a 3 stirrup 'rusty' ashtray for my backyard use.

Quote Originally Posted by ReV View Post
    if you aren't worried about aesthetics... grab you a coffee can and a pair of pliers, use the pliers to bend in the coffee can in at least one place to make a built in stirrup (grab the can about an inch down from the top and bend toward the inside until the spot your bending is perpendicular to the rest of the can.)... i have me a 3 stirrup 'rusty' ashtray for my backyard use.
    Indeed. I've been using a coffee can as my go-to outdoor tray for years.

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    After getting a little frustrated trying to track one of these down at a good price it hit me, why not just make one? I mean its pretty much just a salad bowl. So i went to Walmart and picked up a $2 stainless steel bowl, went home and cut up the metal cap from one of my empty bottles, glued it all together with a glue gun and voila!

Might add more 'stirrups'? and reinforce them with some solder.
    Good idea, and the stainless will last forever, however, you won't be soldering it. Lead solder will not stick to stainless. You might look at some cheapo stainless tea spoons, snip off the handle, place the spoon over something like an old axle and hammer it into a stirrup. Then just pop rivet or epoxy the stirrups to the bowl. Just a thought and don't curse me when you hit your finger.

Looks great! And Functional!! Love it!!!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

Very very nice.

NICE JOB! Never thought about making my own. Thanks for sharing.

That is one bad ass ashtray! ill think ill have to try this.

Thanks for all the comments. I have had 3 cigars with it and its around half full. I used to use an old cigarette ashtray that would be overflowing after one and a half gars.

"Try is for yourself, it's a good thing"

Thread Information