Thread: The Dark Side...

1. Default The Dark Side...

So, we've heard about members' choices when it comes to what they think is the best cigar in the world....What about the other end of the scale?

What would be your all time worst cigar in the world? Which cigars in your opinion should be avoided at all costs?

2. Default

Well my friend its really all a matter of trial and error and taste. I have had cigars that were rated high in magazines but tasted like crap to me. I have had 10 dollar cigars that were nasty and 1 dollar cigars that were awesome. So its really hard to tell.

I smoked a don juan And I also smoked a Shefield and son once
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Definitely some cigars I bought in Ybor City, Florida back in the boom days...they were a Don Nobody in a box where the glue used to hold it together (bad enough on its own) flavored the cigars. Which were rolled by poorly trained clams, judging by the quality. Those were some dark days for bad cigars. Haven't had anything terrible lately.
    KOTL--grow your own and smoke it!!!!

5. Default

During the boom I smoked something called Alkazar. It was supposed to be a maduro. Come to find out the tobacco was dyed. It turned my lips and teeth black when the dye became moist. Tasted like pure crap.

I was never impressed with any Macanudo I've ever tried. Maybe it's just a matter of my personal taste.
    An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play, it is always possible to get worse.

I remember Alcazar and it did suck...I was told back then by my local shop that it was Fuente made...never verified that...well strike that, just did some quick research and they are still for sale and are a Fuente related product!:

"This cigar was introduced in the fall of 1998. This all-maduro line includes 5 different sizes including a 6 x 52 Torpedo. The cigars are sold in bundles of 25, similar to the company's other popular line: La Unica. The Alcazar is mild to medium bodied with flavor nuances of earth and wood, similar to many Nicaraguan cigars."
    Last edited by KingoftheLeaf; 06-08-2005 at 10:59 AM. Reason: found new information
    KOTL--grow your own and smoke it!!!!

Blog Entries

Don Mateo

Anything "Thompsons" (their own label)
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Oh Man! This topic brings back some memories. Back in the days when I didn't have a lot of coin to spend on cigars, I used to smoke a stick called Londonaire. It was made by Rigoletto and at the time, it was rolled in Tampa, FL. It was inexpensive, came in its own plastic tube, looked nice and, to be honest, had a fairly nice taste for my novice palate. The problem was when they rolled the cigar, they included everything short of the soil the leaves grew in. Aside from the veins in the stick, there were large sections of leaf stalk. When the cigar cherry hit one of these things, the stalk would burn like a dynamite fuse. There were times when I didn't know whether I was smoking a cigar or a Fourth of July sparkler. Supposedly, they have improved and are hand rolled in Honduras. I think I'll skip these. Fun thinking about them though.

Default I have to agree with CC.......

Thompsons IMHO, overall has got to be the worst place to do biz with. I went in with my buddy one time on a "deal" which included some T house brand stuff and it was terrible. Worse than TeAmo!

Their catalog is seriously hokey and their pricing is ridiculous. Of course, again, in my opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    Thompsons IMHO, overall has got to be the worst place to do biz with. I went in with my buddy one time on a "deal" which included some T house brand stuff and it was terrible. Worse than TeAmo!

Their catalog is seriously hokey and their pricing is ridiculous. Of course, again, in my opinion.

LMAO, not just your opinion but the opinion of tens of thousands of cigar smokers!!

Thompsons is just plain terrible......
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Worst cigar I ever had was a Calle Ocho torp. Frigging thing was awful and to boot it was $10. I was PISSED. I think I smoked about an inch of it before I just couldn't take it anymore.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

The winners in this catagory have to be

Swisher Sweets and good old Dutch Masters

Thread Information