Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The KC/DW Review Series

Default REO Robuston 5x52

Thanks again Chris for the REO. More Kudos to Rocky Patel for a joint effort with EO Brands to blend a really good cigar.

This is a medium/full-bodied box pressed cigar with a five year old Sumatra seed wrapper grown in Costa Rica. It is a blend of select Nicaraguan and Honduran long fillers. It has some impressive complex flavors, burns impeccably and has a really nice finish.

It toasted with hints of "toast", lit well and burned evenly. It was consistant throughout and never got bitter or harsh. Certainly a good cigar yet I won't ramble on because it falls in the quagmire of literally hundreds of good cigars and does not have a distinguishing characteristic that set it apart.

I'm sure this is a good seller because it is a good value for the price. I have not tried the other three vitolas by REO.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 8.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 09-01-2008 at 01:46 PM. Reason: That would be Robusto, Robots smoke Robustons!

Blog Entries

I like these, along with the very similiar Vibe Corojo, they have absolutely Beautiful wrappers on them. Thay can be had for very decent prices, and make great fish/yardgars.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Default Don Tomas Sun Grown Robusto Natural 5 1/2x50

Last evening I enjoyed this Don Tomas Robusto by General Cigars that Chris bestowed upon me. A few years ago I would shy away from Don Tomas as I had some less than pleasant cigars from them. I think construction and quality were to blame because they did not burn evenly and sometimes became bitter toward the end. Now, however things have changed for the better, especially the Sun Grown line.

The "Sun Grown" consists of aged Brazilian, Mexican and Honduran tobaccos grown in Honduras, blended and wrapped in a Honduran Jamastran natural leaf. Rich and spicy flavors, this medium to full-bodied puro has notes of cedar and wood, is well balanced with a good finish. I especially liked the beautiful wrapper with a slightly oily sheen and small veins, tightly and smoothly wrapped. The smoking experience was dead on with a pleasant toast, easy draw, plenty smoke, even burn and firm salt/pepper ash. The flavors were consistantly medium-bodied yet mellow and smooth. A very good value cigar.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 8.5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dtsgrobust-tn.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	871  

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I hope your taking some "fishgars"? One of those important items (fishing gear, bait, beer and cigars). Anything else like cell phone, extra change of clothes, boom box can be left at home. You won't need them.
    Oh, of course. Smoked a few cheapies and a nice stick or two. And did well with the fishes as well. :)
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Default Savinelli Special Selection 2005 Toro 6x52

I recently picked up a box of Savinelli's at a good price. They turned out to be a nice little surprise package. They're around $5 but I got them for $3.40. They are made by Oliva so "Duh" I wasn't really taking a big chance on getting some duds.

These are very limited edition Nicaraguan full-bodied, spicy, well balanced, savory, delicious cigars. The wrapper is Ecuadorian, dark, oily, medium veins. The Nicaraguan filler is long-aged vintage tobacco with a Nicaraguan binder.

It toasted well and surrendered hints of spiciness. The draw was near perfect producing creamy clouds of rich, earthy smoke. One can immediately appreciate the aged fillers which remain consistantly smooth and complex for the entire length. I actually considered taking a dinner break and smoking another last evening. It was that good. I had a Shiner Hefeweizen with this one. A Guiness would be a good choice as well.

I'm thinking the Savinelli's were a joint venture with Famous as the box had been opened and re-wrapped with a note indicating that it had been inspected for quality control. I'll be ordering another box to stash in the tupperdore for a little additional aging.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 9.2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CI-SSS-5TORN-200.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	877  
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 09-19-2008 at 07:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Nice review as always. Oliva doesn't seem to miss on many smokes.

Blog Entries

Where in the hell are you two???? I'm jonsing for some more quality reviews. Get your asses back on the job.

Please.

Blog Entries

Has anyone seen KingCatfish? His profile doesn't have him logged in since September 23rd.

DeeDubya?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

[QUOTE=ashauler;117396]Where in the hell are you two???? I'm jonsing for some more quality reviews. Get your asses back on the job.

Yeah, I think I'll email KC and shake him loose. Just reading between the lines, I think maybe a little spousal pressure in play there.

I'll smoke 7 cigars today and try to make up for lost time and post some reviews.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think I'll email KC and shake him loose. Just reading between the lines, I think maybe a little spousal pressure in play there.

I'll smoke 7 cigars today and try to make up for lost time and post some reviews.
    Spousal pressure is definitely a drag, right up there with purchasing bans.

7 stogies + 1 bottle of Tequila = Interesting Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Spousal pressure is definitely a drag, right up there with purchasing bans.

7 stogies + 1 bottle of Tequila = Interesting Reviews
    Well yes, when I said spousal pressure, that could be budgeting, health issues, too much self-indulgence, I don't know. Like I said, just reading between the lines, I might have missed the mark so I don't want to jump to dilusions.

Default Arturo Fuente Double Chateau Natural 6.7x50

On a whim I decided to try a Double Chateau last evening. Thinking that the cedar sleeve was the only real difference between it and the other Grand Reserva's, I didn't expect any surprises.

After removing the sleeve, and sniffing the length of the barrel I could really appreciate the spicey Spanish cedar influence. I have always dismissed cedar sleeves as more of a novel artsy display like any other fancy band. This time around I'm convinced that it really does impart some special flavors. I attribute this to aging. I've had this stick in the humi for some time, probably effectively doubling the time from rolling till it was smoked.

This is a lighter Connecticut shade wrapper that appears to be dry yet silky with practically no oiliness, small veins throughout, no soft spots and a firm solid roll head to toe.

Toasting produced some of the cedar and a goodly amount of bluish, thick smoke. After a few puffs of a cool blend of tobacco, cedar and toast I got a very slight metallic aftertaste. I write this off to my palate as it can be caused by some othe influence like medication (not that I am medicated), food or most likely the glass of cabernet I had with dinner. My son was on the phone waiting for me to light up (he's in Albuquerque and we often smoke a stog while we share our thoughts) so I didn't get to do my Tequila shot and properly cleanse the palate.

About midway I detected some grassy flavors but not so much to be concerned. Green grass flavors normally indicate a young (short aged) cigar and would also add some bitterness but this is not the case. It burned flawlessly with a near perfect white ash for the entire length. The strength and flavors did stack a little toward the end, but it is a fairly large vitola. I really enjoyed this cigar and intend to get a box and start to age them in the cooler for at least a year.

While not up there with the Hemingways, OpusX, Masterpiece, it is a great value at around only $4.50/stick. Just age them a little more and they are near perfect.

On a scale of 1-10 I rate this cigar 9.
    Last edited by DeeDubya; 10-17-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Nice review DW. I guess I will wait to smoke this one. Do you know how long you had the stick in your humi? Over a year? 2+?

Quote Originally Posted by logan37 View Post
    Nice review DW. I guess I will wait to smoke this one. Do you know how long you had the stick in your humi? Over a year? 2+?
    I know I've had it at least a year. But I don't know when it was rolled. The problem with singles is just that... you don't know the production date. Boxes are always marked, so if you buy some singles just look at the box and make note of the date. Some are aged in the box but then I've bought a number of boxes that are only a month or two old.

Thanks DW. I wont be able to find out when the box was packed because the shop I bought it at just refills the boxes/cases that are already on the shelves usually.

Blog Entries

Thanks DW. I wont be able to find out when the box was packed because the shop I bought it at just refills the boxes/cases that are already on the shelves usually.
    That's a very common practice, both my regular stores do the same thing.

Yep, that pretty much does it. I think Rob here at HCH tries to keep them in the original box, at least the high end sticks.

Default El Mejor Emerald Shaggy-Foot Robusto 5x50

Another cedar-sleeved cigar.
    KC did an "informal" review on this cigar some time back. I found one hibernating in my humi that I decided to try and compare to what he found. Now, given that he bought a bundle and immediately smoked them and this one has aged at least another 6 months might make a difference. I'm not sure if this is actually one that he had sent to me from the same bundle but I know I have had it at least that long.

I have no problem with the Shaggy-Foot. I toast and light them as any other stick. It would seem that they would flare up and start to burn crazy with all the loose filler sticking out but not so. They might even light better. I suspect it is more old-world novelty than function.

They are considered to be a premium handmade blend even at the low price of around $3-5 when bought on sale. There are so many factors that determine a cigar's price but of course the old faithful "supply-and-demand" theory is probably in play here with this line. If it catches on and attracts some attention, look out, prices are going up. It's a good cigar, it just needs a few more fans.

It is composed of a blend of heavy Nicaraguan long-fillers with a rich Ligero core and wrapped in a lustrous Honduran Corojo. Contrary to KC's "bundle" they are supposedly box aged for 6 months prior to distribution. This may be traditional oak box aging from which they are removed and re-packed to sell. It certainly had some oak wood flavor and really nice spicey finish. It had an unattractive salt-pepper ash but burned evenly and firmly. Overall it smoked very smoothly, producing thick creamy clouds of smoke with little effort. I enjoy a smoke just a little more when I don't have to coax it to burn properly.

I would consider this stick to be another "good value" at this time. KC gave this cigar an 82/100. I'm going raise the pot a little and attribute it to the extra aging.

Blog Entries

I have no problem with the Shaggy-Foot. I toast and light them as any other stick. It would seem that they would flare up and start to burn crazy with all the loose filler sticking out but not so. They might even light better. I suspect it is more old-world novelty than function.

Yet another fabulous review. I have two questions.

One: Do you think the shaggy foots seen now in the more boutique brands more of a novelty, and what function could they possibly serve?

Two: Care to perhaps go a bit more in depth of the way you light a cigar? I'm still a newb. I just torch the fucking thing until I'm sure the end is entirely lit, and I know I'm doing it wrong, but all searching the forums only brings up vague descriptions. I sometimes use a torch, but most often, use matches, lighting the cigar (of course) after the sulfur burns off (but could be 5-10 matches). Thanks.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    Yet another fabulous review. I have two questions.

One: Do you think the shaggy foots seen now in the more boutique brands more of a novelty, and what function could they possibly serve?

Two: Care to perhaps go a bit more in depth of the way you light a cigar? I'm still a newb. I just torch the fucking thing until I'm sure the end is entirely lit, and I know I'm doing it wrong, but all searching the forums only brings up vague descriptions. I sometimes use a torch, but most often, use matches, lighting the cigar (of course) after the sulfur burns off (but could be 5-10 matches). Thanks.
    Good questions but I'm afraid I will fail the first. I have not found a solid answer for why "Shaggy-foot" other than "Old World Tradition". I suspect it might go back as far as the first cigars. Now, yes I think it is just a novelty.

Properly lighting a cigar is probably as diverse as smoking one; But, I have some solid "Must do" and "Must not do" rules.

Lighting media - Get away from sulfer matches. They are only better than rubbing two sticks together. Basically, any match or torch that can introduce any contaminates to your cigar can and will taint the taste. It is almost impossible to avoid contaminates, mainly soot, so that's why it is so important to:

Toast - Use a blue flame torch or cedar spill to get the best results. Hold your cigar in one hand (not your mouth) and the torch or spill in the other. Keep the foot just above the tip of the flame where it is the hottest and most contaminates have been consumed. Slowly roll the cigar above the flame until you see an ember start to glow. Do not allow the flame to light the wrapper, just the very end of the foot. When it starts to glow, pull the flame away and blow on the foot, watching for a full ember. If you see some dark spots or it looks uneven, toast a little more and blow again. This really takes much less time than you might think and will vary with each vitola. A robusto would take longer to light than a corona. As soon as you have a full ember, puff away. Because you already have a full ember you won't have to draw very hard, it is already well lit. I promise, it will be become a natural and you will appreciate the result over time.

The Results - Because you have not drawn any contaminates into the cigar it will be in it's purest state. Let's take an extreme case with a sulfer match. Strike the match and immediately start to light your cigar. The burned sulfer is pulled completely through the entire length of the cold tobacco filler. As it does it condenses on the cooler tobacco and remains there. You have ruined an otherwise good cigar and it will not change as you smoke it. Oh, you will probably not notice it after a few minutes because you are now used to the sulfer taste. I am so picky that I can even taste the soot from a soft flame lighter if it is allowed to blacken the foot of a cigar. Zippos? Don't even ask. This is a cigar not a cigarette. You are in a different league.

Spills - The correct name for a cedar splint or stick or even the rolled up cedar sleeve you just removed from you cigar is a "Spill". Use one to toast your cigar. It is not as easy as using a torch because they sometime burn faster than the time it takes to toast. I like cedar spills but they also produce a lot of soot and sometimes pop and shoot little embers which can also be a challenge. Some justify the extra effort with an improved taste.

I hope this will help. I don't claim to be an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have picked up some helpful hints along the way. Quite a long way I might add.

Thread Information