Thread: Rugby anyone?

Default Rugby anyone?

Well I've never played, but next year I'm going to Drexel University (actually in September) and I think I'm gonna try it. It isn't big here in south jersey and we don't have a team for my high school, but I used to play football and I'm athletic so I think I'm gonna give it a try.

Does anyone here play? and if so any tips for a new player? I've already started lifting and running again.

I've never played it but I have watched the world cup a couple of times. That shit kicks ass and that dude Jonny Wilkerson is a hoss. All I really know is that you can run forward with the ball, lateral it backwards, and drop kick it forward. You can also go for a touchdown by crossing the goal with the ball, or you can go for a field goal at any time by drop kicking it through the uprights.
    End of line.

Yea like i said, i've never played and some things are still confusing, but it looks like a kick ass sport.

Blog Entries

I played it for one practice on a city summer team. We played a game called "sevens". It was pretty physical, but I played lacrosse for a couple of seasons, and football and basketball before that, plus I'm a pretty good sized guy, so I thought I could hang. While I got in a few good shots, I can humbly say that I got my shit pushed in that day.

I then proceeded to drink more beer than I've ever drank in my life with the team (it's "part of practice" as they put it), from about 30 minutes after practice ended (around 6 or 7) until almost 4 AM (gotta love Louisiana drinking laws). I wasn't even 19. Anyway, I made the decision that I just couldn't hang, and stopped playing.

Forget the weights and running. Start drinking. Those guys are nuts.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Played for years but gave it up during High School after our team got banned for fighting.

Go for it, you'll have a blast.

2nd the drinking training advice.

We're going to the All Blacks vs Ireland game on Saturday night, and there'll be a ton of drinking after that! And quite a bit throughout ot too no doubt.
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

I used to play sevens and union when i was at school and for a couple of years after, has to be one of the most fun and punishing team sports going.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Guy where I used to work played and tried to get me to go out for the team. He said it is a blast. But every week he would come in with a new broken bone, black eye or concusion. Like the other said drinking is a big part. If he played a perfect game and didn't get a scratch on him he would still come in hurting from the hangover. Needless to say I never went out. Fun to watch thou

Thread Information