Thread: Education advancement

Default Education advancement

So, I'm finally at a point in life where I get a 4 year degree or I stagnate. That simple. The question was, where do I go and who gives me the best deal for that piece of paper and credit transfer from past endeavors. There were no ideal situations. Computer Science is my degree of choice and it simply isn't available anywhere that would take all my credits from 18 years ago, my ACE military and certification transcipt, etc. Basically, I could get an Orginizational Management degree from Bethel College starting as a junior. I'll be done by 2010 for a quite reasonable amount easily covered by benefits. Trying for a CS degree from IU in South Bend would require a lot more time and money. I thought the smart thing was to get the OM degree, then use it to get a CS degree after that. IU will take the Bethel degree. Of course the problem with that is that there is a maximum of 90 hours I can transfer to a CS degree at IUSB.

The Bethel degree will make me competitive in a short time, but won't be in a preferred major for my profession. I already have plenty of experience in my profession, and management is the next level though. What to do huh? Most people advised me to go the cheaper shorter route to the OM degree and worry about anything else afterwards.

What do you all think? Is having the paper sooner more important, or having it in a more closely related major?
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Hi Kenyth

I'm basically in the same boat (IT field without a Degree).

I've decided to go through the University of Phoenix:

http://www.phoenix.edu/

It's a combination of both online, self paced and at a campus location with regular classroom environment.

With my schedule and my "drive", I can't stand to be in a classroom.

The best thing about them is that they are ACT acredited. They also give credit for past courses, etc....

Hopes this helps

sammis

Thanks for the response Sammis. The problem is, Phoenix U. gets a mixed reaction from employers. That's the problem with a lot of non-standard/non-traditional schools these days. Your degree is only as good as the respect it garners from employers. In that respect, Bethel is a good compromise. It's respected enough to make you eligible, but someone with an IU degree will still trump you in a second. That's a lot of the variables I took into account. If I was looking for another job, I would probably go to IUSB and skip Bethel altogether. I think for my position, my current plan is solid, albeit a bit convoluted. I will get a four year degree by 2010 in Management, which makes me elegible for supervisory positions, then transfer that credit to IUSB (or another college) and work on the Computer Science degree, which is my career. I will need about one to two years of credits for that to happen. I'll have two degrees in just a little longer than it would take for just one, plus I will have one of those degrees by 2010.

I will have to start thinking about getting new certifications again to remain competitive. All mine are outdated. I'm working on the Cisco CCNA again right now. My employer is paying for the course with a government grant. I need to work on the Microsoft certs again. W2K is long gone.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

I got with the quick one then look into a MS instead of a second BS

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    I got with the quick one then look into a MS instead of a second BS

I was under the impression the BS in computers would be on the path to the Masters. I see that I'm wrong. I have not looked deeply into the requirements for a MS in MIT.

Blog Entries

I tend to agree with nhcigarfan.

I got my BA in CS a while back, but in hindsight, I could have gotten it in underwater basketweaving, and it wouldn't have made much a difference. What's important is that it is a bachelor's degree, and that I knew my stuff. That's all any employer I've ever met has cared about for any management position.

When I had the "I need more schooling" moment, it was easy - Master's. Don't collect Bachelor's degrees, collect Master's. For one, it's generally more accepted that working professionals will go after a masters degree online. Broadband connectivity and established guidelines for accreditation make this extraordinarily feasible. I went to Syracuse - an established school with a good online program - all at a discount of what the room and board students paid.

As for Bethel vs. IU - again, I don't think anyone will care where it's from, if you are staying within your company. If you plan on going on to grad school, try to make that school the established one. Doesn't Bloomington have a good online program?

Case in point, I know a guy who has a bachelor's in english, but two masters in the vein of CS. He's now employed as a video game programmer. It's not going to matter what that undergrad degree is in, it only matters that you have it.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

All a degree shows is that you can finish something that you started. If you can show you are competent and most important trainable you should be able to find a good job and start building your reputation from there.

I got a hard-as-hell degree in Construction Science, I now work for a construction company where I am 1 out of about 3 people that are formally educated on the subject - including upper management.
    End of line.

I spent 8 1/2 years getting my degree, and I'm still paying it off. Worth every penny...so far.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the input. Sounds like a good plan. Get the Bethel undergrad degree by 2010. I can then do a slow progression to the masters degree in Management of Information Technology if I choose. My wife didn't seem super keen on me continuing past the 2010 mark. I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Any evening activities put an extra burden on her, so I can't blame her. There's a lot in life to consider besides school. We still havn't decided whether or not we want to have another baby, and she has expressed a desire in the past to possibly get her masters as well. First things first. Get the undergrad degree to catch up with my career. Self study and certifications may also be a choice, though people seem less impressed by them these days.

Thread Information