Thread: Cusano P1

Default Cusano P1

So i picked up a Cusano P1 today at my local B&M today. It comes highly recommended by a few people, and at $2.99 i couldn't resist. Currently it is sitting in my humi to allow it to rest a little bit before i smoke it. Pre-smoke, the cigar has somewhat of a rough look about it, with a vein down the top center. To the touch the cigar is somewhat softer than normal, though the construction doesn't look to be questionable. it may just be a little wet so it should dry out in my humi (i keep it at 68%). Anyways i'll post a review after i smoke it (couple of days), but in the mean time any thoughts on this cigar?
    Mark 8:36

Quote Originally Posted by here'sjohnny View Post
    So i picked up a Cusano P1 today at my local B&M today. It comes highly recommended by a few people, and at $2.99 i couldn't resist. Currently it is sitting in my humi to allow it to rest a little bit before i smoke it. Pre-smoke, the cigar has somewhat of a rough look about it, with a vein down the top center. To the touch the cigar is somewhat softer than normal, though the construction doesn't look to be questionable. it may just be a little wet so it should dry out in my humi (i keep it at 68%). Anyways i'll post a review after i smoke it (couple of days), but in the mean time any thoughts on this cigar?
    Normally, wouldn't you smoke a cigar before posting a review of it? :P
    Last edited by King Catfish; 07-16-2008 at 12:39 PM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Cusano makes a pretty good cigar for the price. They are usually a bit mild for my taste, but I keep one or 2 in the humi for my non cigar smoking friends who want to light up every now and then. 68% should be fine for that cigar. Much lower and you may see cracking or peeling.

If you're just starting out it's probably a good cigar for you now. You'll probably find it a bit too mild in a couple of months.

Blog Entries

These are one of my dailys.....usually cafe' robusto size on Lunch or with the morning coffee. They are consistent, flavorful, and easy on the wallet.

Like Mark said, they are indeed a bit on the milder side and they do better in rh's above 65% for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by King Catfish View Post
    Normally, wouldn't you smoke a cigar before posting a review of it? :P
    Yes generally you would but you have to understand, as a college kid who currently can only get 16 hrs of work a week, i have tons of time on my hands. I'm actually gonna smoke it tonight and post the rest of the review tomorrow-ish. In hind sight i prolly should have waited but this way i'll get to see if it lives up to what you guys have posted about it. after reading these posts though i am going in with low expectations as i generally don't prefer mild cigars. we'll see though. also it's good to find out to keep it at the higher rh. it was soft enough to where i considered taking it out of the humi for a while to let it dry out. prolly just leave it though.

So here is the review, it's my first and i still am a big newb but here goes. The when i cut the cigar, the cap somewhat exploded. The cap leaf came off fine but the tobacco inside kinda came off in shards. The cutter was brand new but may have just been dull. This made small pieces come off in my mouth while i was smoking it (annoys the crap out of me). I toasted the foot and found a pleasant cedar aroma, this cigar smelled great throughout. The first third of the cigar was rather disappointing. The was almost no flavor at all, just the taste of the tobacco actually touching my mouth. The ash was nice and light gray, but somewhat fragile (held for about 1 inch) The wrapper burned a little uneven but was easily corrected. After this i set it down for a minute to get a drink (2 min tops) and it went completely out, cold as if it was never lit. The second third was better. i re-lit the cigar and found it much more flavorful. It was a mild-medium smoke with a hint of sweetness. the flavor was just an earthy tobacco with no real spice to it. Again there was a minor burn issue that again was easily corrected. Again after the second third it went completely cold having sat for only a minute. I blew out the cold smoke and re-lit again (got a huge flare up that almost got my eyebrows). The last third was much like the second and i put it out at about 1 inch ( also something big went down on campus and prolly 20 cops went screaming around my block several times with two search copters overhead so i decided i would be better served indoors).

Overall i'd give it a B, it had great aroma, was fairly well constructed, but just wasn't very flavorful. I would buy it again to keep on stock to give out if someone needed something.

So that was my first review, hope it's useful and tell me how i did

Yes generally you would but you have to understand, as a college kid who currently can only get 16 hrs of work a week, i have tons of time on my hands. I'm actually gonna smoke it tonight and post the rest of the review tomorrow-ish. In hind sight i prolly should have waited but this way i'll get to see if it lives up to what you guys have posted about it. after reading these posts though i am going in with low expectations as i generally don't prefer mild cigars. we'll see though. also it's good to find out to keep it at the higher rh. it was soft enough to where i considered taking it out of the humi for a while to let it dry out. prolly just leave it though.
    Of course; I was just poking fun at you a bit.

Nice job on the review, although I think you're being too kind giving this cigar a "B". If I smoked a cigar and the cap exploded it went out twice, I would be hard-pressed to give it more than a D. With those burn and construction issues it would have to taste like a mixture of how a new car and a 19-year-old cheerleader smell for me to give it more than that.
    Last edited by King Catfish; 07-17-2008 at 11:09 AM.
    Courage is rightly esteemed the first of human qualities... because it is the quality which guarantees all others.
    -Winston Churchill

Of course; I was just poking fun at you a bit.

Nice job on the review, although I think you're being too kind giving this cigar a "B". If I smoked a cigar and the cap exploded it went out twice, I would be hard-pressed to give it more than a D. With those burn and construction issues it would have to taste like a mixture of how a new car and a 19-year-old cheerleader smell for me to give it more than that.
    Maybe true, i was being generous b/c both burn issues were fixed with a touch of the lighter. Same goes for it going out, it was an easy relight. The cap thing was just weird, b/c although it exploded, and from time to time i would get a flake, the cut was not the worrst, it looked clean, and the wrapper held strong. I'm also compensating for my newbness, it was a strange smoke and i'll bet it wasn't all the cigars fault.

Maybe true, i was being generous b/c both burn issues were fixed with a touch of the lighter. Same goes for it going out, it was an easy relight. The cap thing was just weird, b/c although it exploded, and from time to time i would get a flake, the cut was not the worrst, it looked clean, and the wrapper held strong. I'm also compensating for my newbness, it was a strange smoke and i'll bet it wasn't all the cigars fault.
    Of course. I apologize if I came off as questioning your score on this cigar; I would not do that. My previous message did not come off the way I intended. Will you be writing a followup to tell us how the next one turns out?
    -Winston Churchill

Of course. I apologize if I came off as questioning your score on this cigar; I would not do that. My previous message did not come off the way I intended. Will you be writing a followup to tell us how the next one turns out?
    Hey no problem KC you are much more experienced than I at this, and i'm fine with criticism, thats part of why i wrote this to compare to what others would score. No need to apologize, i learned early on here that unless there is a f-bomb followed by your username, people here most of the time aren't hating you i appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback. I'm curious, have you ever smoked this particular cigar?

Hey no problem KC you are much more experienced than I at this, and i'm fine with criticism, thats part of why i wrote this to compare to what others would score. No need to apologize, i learned early on here that unless there is a f-bomb followed by your username, people here most of the time aren't hating you i appreciate you taking the time to provide some feedback. I'm curious, have you ever smoked this particular cigar?
    "Much" more experienced might be an exaggeration.

No, I have not tried this one. I am waiting for your followup before I try it.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information