Thread: code - ASP vs. PHP

Blog Entries

Default code - ASP vs. PHP

So, I've been a PHP programmer for almost 3 years now. I really like it a lot. I started web database programming using ASP about 8-9 years ago for my undergrad senior project. My professor didn't really believe in the legitimacy of web programming at the time, and even though my code was solid, he only gave me a C. Well, I've kept up with web programming since, as I really enjoy it, and really liked how easy PHP was to incorporate into websites and Apache was free, etc., etc. Now I'm looking at a new job, and they are converting older ASP stuff into more modern Visual Studio, and I'm just wondering, for all you techies out there, how far off I am? Any tips on what I could be reading? I really just kind of left Microsoft altogether for open source just before .NET and C# came about.

Thanks

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

I've found some pretty passionate PHP versus NET arguments. I like them both, but think PHP is much more flexible. However, comma, I'm a big believer in MS-SQL. Your PHP talents won't help you much other than your logical thinking, stylesheets, etc. I think that the data handling capabilities of Studio are far superior to PHP and you're outside the limitations of NET. It should be a nice gig for you that you'll get the hang of quickly.

All you need to do now is ditch that communist rat bastid, Che.
    Bruce

Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice.
    Hanlon's Razor

asp.net is so far beyond classic asp and it isn't bad. I am generally a java man, so jsp, servlets, struts and jsf are my preferences.

If you have a handle on mvc and associated patterns then you should not have any problems.

Also, if you have the opportunity, do learn c#, quite a nice language to code in (at least over vb)
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the advice. I did a bit more research on the job, and found out exactly what I would be doing.

I've been paging and working through a couple books I picked up at the library the other day - one on ASP.NET and the other on C# (the principal languages of the job). They've helped clarify some of the technical and syntax differences in the languages, but so far (not too terribly far in either one, mind you), C# reminds me a lot of Java. Very similar in structure and OOP functionality. ASP.NET runs very similarly to the way PHP does, but it's a bit more lax. There are also tons of resources available online.

I think my interview is next week. I'm not too worried, I'm confident in my abilities in my current languages (PHP, C++, Java, just starting to pick up lua), but that job pays more and in a location that would make the wifey awfully happy. I just hope it's a reasonable interview. I had one once where the guy wanted me to code, in my head, on the spot, and spell out in syntax how I would write a method to solve a problem. Ridiculous.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Thread Information