Thread: Yet another one....

Default Yet another one....

Hi Everyone,

Been smoking for some time. But only recently stepped it up. Just bought my first real humidor a little over a week ago and am having a good time filling it. My first humidor was a small travel humidor. I'm also going to start growing my own tobacco and rolling my own cigars soon. Hope to have the first crop growing in the spring. I figure worst thing that could happen is that they suck. But it'll be fun to do regardless.

I'm a New York transplant living in Houston, TX. Been down here almost eight years now. My other interests are cave diving and taking care of my yard... Other than that I'm pretty boring.

Martin.

Welcome to the boards.

I've thought about growing my own tobacco as well, but once I looked into the fermenting process I got a little scared off.

Have you looked at the whole process? It's easy to just grow tobacco, it's the curing and fermenting process that's a whole lot more work. Not to mention the art of rolling as well. (Although the rolling is what I was really looking forward to, and of course the smoking.)
    Just a stay at home dad (retired until I choose otherwise, thanks Canadian Army medical pension) hanging out and enjoying the good life.

Yeah I've been studying the process for a while now. I figure I'll probably screw it up but it'll still be fun trying...

Martin.

Welcome from NY. Good luck with the crop.

Blog Entries

welcome from central Oregon.

Keep us updated on your tobacco pursuits.

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Welcome from South Louisiana. If you start your crop, remember to post pictures!!

Blog Entries

if i were to venture into growing and rolling my own tobacco, I think I would try to buy up some leaves first to practice rolling. I wouldn't want to put all that work into producing my own tobacco just to screw it up when i get to the final step.

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO. I wish I had the drive to start such an endeavor as growing and producing my own cigars. Let us know how it goes!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Welcome from San Marcos. I have a son down in Dickinson. I heard that Kemah got pretty torn up by Ike?

Yeah everything down by the coast got ripped up. The eye went right over me as well. But I lucked out and had no damage. A lot of my neighbors were not as fortunate.

I'm planning on getting some leaves and working on rolling before my crop is ready. I figure it may take as long as three years from the first planting before I have leaves that are ready for rolling after all the fermenting, drying and aging. Then at least another 6 months to a year before I can even smoke the first cigar. So I have plenty of time to figure out what the heck I'm doing.

Martin.

Welcome to the board. Growing and rolling your own cigars sounds like a fun project. At the very least it will help you realize all the hard work that goes into the process.

Welcome from California, I wish I was close enough to go see you roll your own stogies... it's always been a fascination of mine. Good luck with that

welcome.
    The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -unknown

Thank you for the warm welcomes everyone. I'll keep everyone posted on how good or bad my home grown endeavors turn out...

Martin.

Welcome from the UK. Good luck with your project.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information