Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you smoke a cigar?

Default How do you smoke a cigar?

I know we probably all have our own "technique" for smoking a cigar, whether we know it or not. A lot of it probably has to do with when we smoke and whether it's a few a day, or just a few a week. I smoke 2-4 a week, and only light up when I have nothing else to distract me and want to relax and get away for a while, so it is usually the main event. Yesterday I sat outside and tried to dissect what I do when I sit down for a smoke. I'd be interested in hearing some other techniques.

As far as what to select, honestly, that is kind of up in the air. I usually just open up my go-to humi and say "that looks good." Every once in a while I'll reach for a specific favorite, but unless I'm jonesin' for something specific it's pretty much a crap shoot. I do try to go for something lighter in the morning and heavier in the evening, but that's not cast in concrete either.

When it comes to lighting the cigar, I find that the "purging" technique I posted a while back actually works really well with a butane torch lighter. I toast the foot, then get the flame right up against the end and let it glow. Once it gets started, I touch up the edges then blow through it while holding the flame near the foot of the cigar. I know it's unconventional, but it seems to work well for me and gives me a consistently even light. It helps to blow on the end of the cigar to see how it is burning.

After that, I just sit back, relax and enjoy. I find the tempo of smoking is actually dictated by the cigar. I draw in some smoke, roll it around in my mouth a bit then let it all out through my mouth, Only then do I close my mouth and exhale through my nose while pressing my tongue against the roof of my mouth. That's when the flavor comes out. I don't really try to blow smoke out or up my nose. That just stings. I continue to taste the cigar until the finish starts to fade, then take another pull (usually about a minute apart, depending on the finish.)

I also keep the torch available for touch-ups. I keep an eye on how the ash is burning (remember, this is the main event for me) and if it starts to burn faster on one side, I simply touch the flame to the wrapper where it needs to burn a little quicker. The key, I have found, is to just quickly touch the flame to the wrapper. The cigar is usually burning under the wrapper and it quickly corrects itself. I rarely let the sides get more than 1/4 inch or so apart.

The last third or so of the cigar always starts to get harsh. The first indication is a peppery sensation in the back of my throat, enough to give me the urge to cough. When that happens I simply blow through the cigar and it settles right down. If it doesn't want to settle down, then I'll purge with a flame. I find that the last part of the cigar is usually the most enjoyable and blowing through the cigar occasionally keeps the taste alive without having the cigar become overpowering. That and attention to touching up the cigar will usually allow me to nub whatever cigar I am smoking.

So there you have it... a completely anal evaluation of the technique I have apparently developed over the last year and a half. If you haven't sat down and evaluated your technique you ought to give it a try. I found it to be very relaxing and eye-opening. If you have, or if you do, I'd like to hear about your particular technique.

I Go to the humi....browse for quite a while on what to smoke. Usually this process takes about 15 minutes(unless of course I Am jonesing for something also).

I rummage around the house looking for the last place I left my Xikar or just use the 3 blade cuban crafters if I can't find it. I snip the tip, admire at how I consistently cut it at an angle no matter how hard I try not to.

Lighting...I take my lighter and toast the foot very good. I keep the lighter on the foot till at least half of it is glowing then puff away to a nice even glow. I take a few good drags in the initial minutes seeing if anything "jumps" out at me in the terms of flavor or disgust. If all goes well I proceed to smoke in a calm resting manor just enough to keep it from going out. I hardly ever touch up unless the coal(center) starts to burn faster than the wrapper...noticable flavor diff of course. I then ponder the cigar, i think about how it feels in my mouth, how the wrapper has tasted(outside of the smoke), I look at the smoke plumes and cheer when I have a cigar that produces a rediculously thick plume.

I also compare it to other cigars within the same family, how it tastes similar, different, price differences is this cigar worth the extra/saved $$ compared to others in it's line. How does this one compare to a maduro/natural/cameroon of the same family etc.

Then smoke and enjoy till it gets hot. Once it starts getting hot is when I usually make my final determination on a good cigar. If a cigar tastes good hot it usally was fantastic throughout the length of the cigar and I am extremely pleased with it. If it gets a bit harsh or "stinky" then I chalk it up as a good smoke with a bad ending. I do try to purge cigars if they get harsh as to attempte the "good with bad ending" penalty. sometimes it works other times it doesn't.

I don't write anything down, I don't keep wrappers, and I surely don't write out reviews(although I have tried but words roll off my tongue like molasses rolls out of a jar in freezing temperature).

I log it to memory as "I liked it," "I REALLY liked it," "This is one of the best cigars I have ever had," "This cigar was disgusting and the person rolling these should be shot," and "This is a good everyday smoke I think I will keep a box on hand, nothing special nothing bad."
    Last edited by guado; 02-06-2007 at 04:54 PM.

usually spend a few minutes picking out the cigar... sometimes i'll look em up on the net if its one I'm not familiar with, so I know to expect a light, medium, or strong cigar.

usually I light up by lighting around the edges first just holding the cigar, then i'll get the middle once the edge is lit all the way around... if its not lighting easily I'll puff on it while trying to get the light.

when I smoke at a bar I usually draw pretty unevenly, depending on whats going on... into a conversation, or playing shuffleboard or pool. when I smoke them other times like while reading or just smoking and thinking I usually draw more often and more consistently, and dont have to relight as much...

and I usually smoke it till its not good, and i'll try to help out the end of the cigar by slowing down how often I draw or try purging it...

and I dont have a fancy ranking system or a journal... just take note of the cigar I like and dislike.

and also I found this video of 420seth showing off how he smokes cigars
    http://www.jschrodt.net/etc/smoke/Ho...0a%20cigar.wmv
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

Blog Entries

I cut it (usually with a punch), light it (with whatever is handy) then I smoke it.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Iif it starts to burn faster on one side, I simply touch the flame to the wrapper where it needs to burn a little quicker. The key, I have found, is to just quickly touch the flame to the wrapper. The cigar is usually burning under the wrapper and it quickly corrects itself. I rarely let the sides get more than 1/4 inch or so apart.
    I've found that a little patience and purging is all you need to do to correct uneven burns. No relights needed.

Smile

I get a good fire going in my pit. Toast the foot and smoke away. Pondering why the hell I have such a hard time discerning flavors. After it's done, I debate, wether I want another. Depends on how cold and how early it is. I usually head back in with a big smile on my face. Always a good experience.
    "No one can tell me what is a good cigar -- for me. I am the only judge. There are no standards -- no real standards. Each man's preference is the only standard for him, the only one which he can accept, the only one which can command him."
    ~ Mark Twain

I'm still pretty new to smoking, but I figured I'd offer up how my usual experience goes.

I almost always smoke at night, usually pretty late because it's the only time when I'm free. Recently, it has meant bundling up and putting on multiple layers. Then I typically select the smoke, which is usually dependent on my mood and how long I want to stay outside. I still have to watch to make sure I pair full belly with full smoke so I don't get .

The next step is setting up my smoking area on the porch. I usually grab a coke (with rum, scotch, or jack depending on what I have around), my video ipod, a small cushion I sit on, ashtray, lighter, cutter, and sometimes blanket.

Before lighting or cutting, I always make a point to smell the cigar. I find that it's easier to pick up the flavors in the smoke if I smell them on the cigar beforehand. They don't always correspond, but mostly they do.

After cutting I lightly put the foot of the cigar into the flame, making a point to rotate it. Once the entire foot is somewhat blackened I will take a few light puffs and then a deep one or two to get the cigar going strongly.

In the beginning I smoke somewhat fast, in order to make sure the cigar burns well. I always make a point take a few deep puffs and let the smoke stay in my mouth for a while to see if I can pick up any flavors. After a while, I typically get into whatever I'm watching on the ipod (The Wire, season 1 at the moment) and let the cigar burn slowly.

Typically I only smoke 3/4s of the cigar as the end tends to have burn problems and not be as tasty. I find it's usually too much effort so I let it die. All in all about an hour.

I generally look carefully at the cap and cut with a xicar, trying avoid cutting all of one end of cap off. I light with a torch or multiple matches. I always puts the foot in the flame directly, as i get it red-hot. Then I hit the center with the flame and puff. It initially tastes awful but the burn seems worth it to me. The rate I smoke is completely determined by the strength and how stuffed the cigar is. I tend to be a power smoker, unless its a special occasion.

selecting a stick isn't too difficult for me, i've got a few bundles and boxes that i'll smoke out of if i'm in the mood for a "regular" smoke, if i'm in the mood for something new, i've got a few singles i've picked up from the noob sampler and a few bombs/trades

i usually turn on the space heater in my screened porch before picking out a stick to warm up the room atleast a little bit, i also wear layers upon layers of clothing to stay warm.

i'm quite bad at lighting, usually scorch the end pretty bad, but it goes away after a few minutes. i haven't gotten myself to buy a torch because i'd rather spend that money on cigars.

i usually puff 2 times each time i puff, one small one which i exhale immediately while the stick is still in my mouth, and a longer one which i keep in my mouther longer and exhale a bit through my nose. the first small puff is just to make sure its burning well and that i'll get plenty of smoke in the second puff, which is for tasting

i tend to smoke them a little further than the band, i haven't had a stick that i've really felt the need to nub yet, but i'm sure it'll happen eventually

i smoke pretty slowly, usually a 1 hour smoke will last me an hour and a half or longer, i like to relax and puff slowly while reading a book or browsing the net on the laptop

i also bring a pitcher of ice water out with me and usually drink 1-3 glasses depending on the stick and wether it gets harsh or not

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I cut it (usually with a punch), light it (with whatever is handy) then I smoke it.
    Ditto. I probably have some kind of style developed by now, but I don't really pay attention to it. The other day, someone pointed out that I have a penchant for holding my cigar high up when I am sitting, level with my head. I told them I guess so, I hadn't noticed.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

How do I smoke a Cigar?

Well, first of all it has to be either a Friday night or a relatively boring/stressful situation where I can get away with it.

I go to my humijar (yay) and have a good sniff. Then depending on the situation choose. If I got the time and right atmosphere I go for a robusto, if not, a petite coronas.

I take me Cigar gear to somewhere like a table, cut my Cigar using either a single bladed cutter or a scalpel blade.

I used to torch the end, these days I am content to just toast it and puff gently to light it. I much prefere matches over anything else. I always let the phosphorous burn off first.

When I smoke I take a few small puffs like a kiss letting air mingle with the smoke. I dont like it to get too hot so I keep puffs to a minimum to get those nice hidden flavours.

Then when Its stale I let it die on its own in an ashtray so it doesnt cream out the place.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

I'd give up cigars if I had to put as much thought and effort into it as some of you guys do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo View Post

I'd give up cigars if I had to put as much thought and effort into it as some of you guys do.
    I guess it depends on what you are trying to get out of smoking cigars. There was a thread a while back that described why we smoke. To me, part of the enjoyment of smoking is the solitude. Stopping to think about what you're enjoying, and why, is enjoyable in itself. It helps to clear my mind of other things and occupies it with something that relaxes me. Kinda like stopping to smell the roses.

But, hey... if you get enjoyment out of cutting, lighting and smoking, then do it! To me that was kind of what it was like smoking cigarettes. There was no enjoyment in that. And I did eventually give them up.

By the way, I haven't had a cigarette since Jan 22 and I am to the point where I don't miss them at all!! Hooray for me!
    Last edited by Shelby07; 02-08-2007 at 09:45 AM.

crack open the humi, pick a stick, cut it ( I prefer a cut over a punch), fire it up with whatever is around and smoke it until it burns me or I decide to toss it.

On pcking the stick - I do put some thought into it but I am usually more concerned about the time I have over time of day, strength, etc.

I'll toast the foot of larger ring cigars but right now I'm going more for the smaller cigars that don't require the toasting.

I guess it depends on what you are trying to get out of smoking cigars. There was a thread a while back that described why we smoke. To me, part of the enjoyment of smoking is the solitude. Stopping to think about what you're enjoying, and why, is enjoyable in itself. It helps to clear my mind of other things and occupies it with something that relaxes me. Kinda like stopping to smell the roses.
    I can, and do, relax and unwind and thoroughly enjoy my cigars, I just don't have such a thought out process for doing such. I grab a stick, fire it up and park my tookis wherever I decide I am tired of standing. I fired one up before going out to mow the lawn and ended up sitting stretched out on the snapper rider in the middle of the yard for an hour enjoying a smoke I intended to smoke while working in the yard. Guess I just don't get the whole thought out proces to enjoy a cigar concept. At least not on a regular basis.

I can, and do, relax and unwind and thoroughly enjoy my cigars, I just don't have such a thought out process for doing such. I grab a stick, fire it up and park my tookis wherever I decide I am tired of standing. I fired one up before going out to mow the lawn and ended up sitting stretched out on the snapper rider in the middle of the yard for an hour enjoying a smoke I intended to smoke while working in the yard. Guess I just don't get the whole thought out proces to enjoy a cigar concept. At least not on a regular basis.
    Ain't nothin' wrong with that!

For me, it's always a long thought out process because I tend to look forward to it for most of the day. I'll often find myself daydreaming about the process (what I'm going to drink, smoke, etc). But this is also because I tend to only smoke once a week, if I smoked more frequently I would inevitably not put as much thought into.

Ain't nothin' wrong with that!
    You haven't seen me sprawled on a snapper!

Is it just me or when you guys smoke, do you seem to block everyone and everything out? An atom bomb could explode on the horizon but if you have a real nice Cigar you wouldnt notice or care.

That is what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbawubba View Post
    Is it just me or when you guys smoke, do you seem to block everyone and everything out? An atom bomb could explode on the horizon but if you have a real nice Cigar you wouldnt notice or care.

That is what it is all about.
    Yes. I get entranced just watching the swirls of smoke. Every watch them? It's interesting to watch the whorls curl and dissipate.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information