Thread: Big differences between hygrometers

Default Big differences between hygrometers

Hi everyone!
    I need advice. I have two analog and two digital hygrometer. Analog shows the ten percent more than digital. When I tested them in a bag with salt, showed almost exactly the analog hygrometer. Is it possibl, that much more expensive and higher quality digital hygrometer showed poorly?
    And one more question - can I use cedar wood from the pack on the distribution of cigars in humidore? Can this harm anything?
    Thanks for your answers!

I am so sorry! Twice I have published the same. Do you know how this can be deleted?
    Last edited by whitedog; 02-22-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: I want to delete this thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whitedog View Post
    Hi everyone!
    I need advice. I have two analog and two digital hygrometer. Analog shows the ten percent more than digital. When I tested them in a bag with salt, showed almost exactly the analog hygrometer. Is it possibl, that much more expensive and higher quality digital hygrometer showed poorly?
    And one more question - can I use cedar wood from the pack on the distribution of cigars in humidore? Can this harm anything?
    Thanks for your answers!

I am so sorry! Twice I have published the same. Do you know how this can be deleted?
    I doubt the spanish cedar used in boxes, I presume, will harm anything.
    Back to the hydrometers, nothing surpises me in this day and age of manufacturing.

About the double posting, nothing gets deleted. Hopefully, you won't get a newbie ass peelin' (like we all do)

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

From my experience I haven't seen a huge difference in hygrometers when it comes to expensive and inexpensive ones. The one that I liked the most is the Diamond Crown one. Though the Diamond Crown was the most expensive it was spot on the correct humidity straight from the box. I picked up one from Heartfelt and it had a pretty bad reading, something like 15-20% off. I think the Heartfelt was ~$10. I picked up another small one that is an adjustable puck and off the bat it was +5% but its adjustable so I corrected it accordingly. This one ran I think ~$10

As far as analog hygrometers I have never seen one that is accurate. So I usually stick with digital ones as much as possible.

As far as the cedar goes, the sheets that come from boxes are safe to use in humidors. You can also use the sheets they wrap around certain cigars. The sheets are good for separating cigars from each other and adding some material to retain a little humidity in humidors.

Blog Entries

I use a Western Caliber digital, 100% accurate right out of the box with a Boveda calibration kit. I've never even owned an analog hygro.

Pitch the analog, do a precice calibration on the digital, buy yourself some humididy beads, sleep well at night!

I always save the cedar sheets, I tuck them around the edges in my coolers. It's really not necessary with all the boxes in there, but I do it anyway.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

My humidor came with an analog adhesived to the spot on the lid. It seems to only be about 10% low. Im considering just smashing it out and getting a digital to put in its spot, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I got a hygrometer with the humidor, and other than being very nice to look at, I don't think it does much of anything. I did the salt "calibration" (it has adjustment) and the needle never got higher than 40%, so I set that to 75%, and now it never moves...

I did some reading, and settled on the Western Caliber III Digital Hygrometer. The instructions say that it is calibrated from the factory, and that you were not to do the "salt" calibration. There doesn't seem to be any adjustments on it at all. I did set it in my son's room with a high end humidifier, and it read the same as the humidifier and the hygrometer across the room (son has a clock with a temp / humidity gauge on it).

I keep the analog one in the humidifier, 'cause it looks good... but I also have the digital one.

Currently, after adding the Heartfelt bead tubes (70%), the humidity is up to 63%... seems to increase about 1% a day since i added it (4 days ago).

Blog Entries

I use cheap non-digital hygrometers that are adjustable. Funny thing is I've seldom if ever had to adjust them. I really have no use for expensive digital hygrometers. Can digital hygrometers be adjusted?

If you use beads then you'll notice your hygrometers rarely move anyway so being accurate to the exact degree isn't necessary.

When the hygrometer reading starts to fall, all you have to do is add a very small amount of water to the beads and you're right back at the perfect RH level.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

I also have a Hygro-Set digital that's fully adjustable

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I have a half lb of 65% beads in my large coolador but the hygro always shows 70%. Lately I've heen having some wrappers split within a few minutes of lighting up. For me, too high RH would cause wrappers to bust. Which do I believe, the hygro (70%) or the beads (65%). I think I'm going to let things dry out a little. I've got around 15 full boxes at stake in this cooler. BWA? Anyone?

Blog Entries

More 65% beads?

Maybe another 1/2 lb mixed in without moistening them would help stabilize things.

I keep a full pound in each of my 48qt coolers, keeps them right at 65%. 15 full boxes is a significant investment, another $20.00 worth of beads would be a small price for the peace of mind. Though I wonder why they're splitting at 70%? that's really not that high a number.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Am I missing something here? Cuba's annual national average RH is 78%. That mean's it would be in the 80's or 90's at times. Understand this is not happening with all the cigars in this cooler, but it seems to be occuring with more regularity.

Blog Entries

I never really understood that myself

70% would seem ideal if you listen to all the "experts". Are the cracks isolated to a particuliar? I have the most trouble with Cameroon wrappers... very delicate IMHO.

~ Col. Sanders ~

~ ashauler ~

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I have a half lb of 65% beads in my large coolador but the hygro always shows 70%. Lately I've heen having some wrappers split within a few minutes of lighting up. For me, too high RH would cause wrappers to bust. Which do I believe, the hygro (70%) or the beads (65%). I think I'm going to let things dry out a little. I've got around 15 full boxes at stake in this cooler. BWA? Anyone?
    Wrappers split because moisture builds up in the cigar as you smoke it. This moisture expands the tobacco in the bunch, placing pressure on the binder (maybe) and the wrapper. The moisture builds up because tobacco leaves with a moisture content equivalent to roughly 65% RH or more block moisture. Thus, the binder blocks the transfer of moisture, but the wrapper is getting dry (and brittle) because the ambient RH is sucking the moisture out of the wrapper. The dry wrapper tries to constrain the expanding cigar, and sometimes gives way with quite a "pop."

Thus, the major factor affecting wrapper splitting is the difference between the storage RH/Temp and the RH/temp of the environment that you smoke in. In addition:
    - some wrappers are just not as thick/strong as others, e.g., a thick sun-grown broadleaf wrapper is less likely to split compared to a thin shade-grown Connecticut.
    - if there is too much reliance on the mold to shape the cigar bunch when the cigar was made, then the binder won't resist the cigar expanding as you smoke it, placing more stress on the wrapper.
    - an oily wrapper or binder is going to block the release of moisture.
    - all other things being equal, heavier cigars - those packed with tobacco - are going to expand more than cigars rolled with less tobacco, i.e., a premium is more likely to split than a bundle smoke.
    - ligero absorbs and retains more moisture. The more ligero, the more the cigar will expand during smoking.

The old-school solution is to slobber all over the wrapper before lighting to make the wrapper more pliable. Now some folks dry-box for a couple days (cello off, and cut the cigar for faster and more even drying.)

Myself, I smoke a lot more Maduro in the winter ... and keep one humi in the low 60's RH (62%RH at the moment)
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

I'm sure I need to lower the RH a little, but am still confused why the 65% beads are allowing the RH to hover at 70%. Could be that Heartfelt got some beads mixed up? I might order up a half lb of 60% and try that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDubya View Post
    I'm sure I need to lower the RH a little, but am still confused why the 65% beads are allowing the RH to hover at 70%. Could be that Heartfelt got some beads mixed up? I might order up a half lb of 60% and try that.
    I actually had the opposite problem with these. I first had 65% beads in my cedar humi, but the Rh hovered around 60% and my smokes were too dry. I switched to 70% beads and the Rh now is around 65-68%, smoking perfect. In my Tupperdor, I always used 65% beads and the hydro reads around 65%.

I've been with XIKAR over 4 years now and I can tell you that the conditions of the humidor, environment and the hygrometer all work against you to find that "perfect" humidity level you are looking for.

All this advice sounds good to me - and I might add that sometimes it takes a few weeks, not just days, to get that sweet spot that you want. HOWEVER, don't forget about your humidity level after you get the sweet spot - stay on it for a few more weeks to be sure you'll get consistency. After all, it is consistency that you really want. A few degrees here or there every week won't hurt like a 20% drop will.

Hope this helps.

- Andy (XIKAR marketing guy)

Thread Information