Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I know I should probably use WPA2, but I can't get it to work with all OS's in the house. I wasn't aware that masking your SSID or MAC filtering were an ineffective security measure now.
WPA is still good enough. The actual encryption key used constantly changes with WPA. That makes the actual cracking of the encryption almost impossible. Instead, they use brunt force type attacks to try and crack the passkey (think password). That's why making a good long complex random passkey is a good idea. Your router is the next place you should set access security. Use a good password for your router access. Turn off wireless access and public network access to the router control console. That way, you have to hook up to the router with a physical ethernet cable in order to access the controls. You can also set up the option for each connected wireless node to be segmented into it's own LAN. That way, if a wireless device does connect, it can't access other wireless devices on the network. If you need to have multiple PC's or wireless nodes on your network talk to each other (like a wireless printer), don't enable this option.