Thread: Starting a Cigar Shop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by islcigar View Post
    Been in the business for a looooooong time.......... good luck! My advise - save your money and do something you know. I have seen too many people lose everthing. If their is a spot that doesnt have a cigar store....... their is a good reason for it. It will not work. I am sure you are not the only person who had this idea and will not be the last. Unless you have verrrrrrrrrrrrrry deep pocket - don't do it. Though, I also think opening any business in our current economy is a big mistake....never mind cigars. Remember......the grass is always greener.
    I have to agree with islcigar regarding your plan. Very deep pockets are needed. Plus, be ready to work 100+ hours a week.

I was in the cigar business with four factories and am very happy to have gotten out several years ago. My coffee shop keeps me busy 100+ hours a week...plus I've got a big internet division that adds time to my week.

Sorry for the bad news, but I'd hate to see anyone get buried in debt getting into the cigar biz.

Quote Originally Posted by MrJerry View Post
    Sorry for the bad news, but I'd hate to see anyone get buried in debt getting into the cigar biz.
    If nothing else this is my advise - take a risk when you can afford to take the loss.

I'd hate to see anyone get buried in this economy at all. You go down now it might take a while to get back up. When investors went down during the depression they took a leap - from a high building. Now's the time to work hard in something stable. Get you knuckles bloody, get your boots muddy.

What is it? About 80% of all restraints fail within a year or two? Hate to see that statistic on luxury stores. Within 10 miles from me is a fancy cigar shop with a built in humidor. You can't smoke indoors in Delaware even to taste a cigar in a cigar shop (and maybe that hurts them) but I've only ever seen one employee (the owner works all hours alone). Every time (every time) I walk in he's on the phone and I overhear him complaining about not having money or being able to pay bills. I feel bad for him, so I try to give him as much business I can (every time I've ever walked in I've been the only customer in the store) even though the JR Cigars in DC has a better selection and better prices.

If you're independently wealthy do what makes you happy. If you need a job get something secure like a government job like dept of trans, or dept of corrections. If you've already got the store and made a payment on it do what you know is best - only you know what that is.

Again, if nothing else this is my advise - take a risk when you can afford to take the loss.

Thread Information