Thread: New guy here

1. Default New guy here

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and finally decided to say hello to all you nice folks.

I'm still very new to cigars, but I have found little else that is relaxing as sitting on the patio, smoking a cigar, and forgetting the stresses and responsibilities of life for an hour or so. As to what I enjoy, the list of cigars I have sampled would probably be much more expansive if I weren't a poor college student. That being said, I would rather purchase one excellent cigar than spend the same amount on several of dubious quality.

I'll include a list of cigars I have tried below, disappointingly short as it is. Have I been buying decently regarded varieties, or have I been deceived by clever marketing and random internet blogging? I've paid anywhere from ~$3 up to around $10 a stick, and $7-10 seems a fair price for good quality, but as mentioned before, I may be mistaken.

So I ask you gentlemen (and maybe a few ladies), what can I try that will give me a standard to judge other cigars by? I know what I like, and I don't buy again that which I don't, but the experience and recommendation of far more experience connoisseurs would be greatly appreciated.

My list:
    Montecristo White (Purchased today, as a ring-dunk smoke. Any other Ags on the forum?)
    Romeo y Julieta Cedro de Luxe No. 2
    Romeo y Julieta Churchill (I enjoyed these)
    Romeo y Julieta Habana Robusto (I haven't smoked this one yet, probably will Sunday afternoon)
    Taboo Habana Sun Grown Corona (Recommended by a shop in Grapevine)

The Taboo was my first, and I can't say it was bad, but I can't say it was good either. I've since stuck with R&J, which was recommended as a brand for good quality and a decent price. The Montecristo was purchased mainly on the basis of brand name and the cool aluminum tube it came in. Shamelessly, I can be easily swayed by pretty packaging, a trait that can be seen in past romances and some very ill-advised wine purchases.

Thanks for reading my rambling introduction; I'm looking forward to reading and spending more time on the forum.

Welcome to the forum! I'm pretty new too.
    I liked reading your post.
    I agree, not much is better than sitting on the porch, after work with a good slow cigar!
    There's only 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who don't!

Welcome to the boards.

Welcome from North Carolina

Welcome from Lancaster, PA.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board.

Welcome from Columbia, SC
    sammis

Blog Entries

Welcome from CO. There is plenty to learn here and I'm sure you will find a lot of good recommendations for any budget.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Welcome from bitterville, PA. Nice intro.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Welcome from the UK - I'd have to say I've never liked RyJ; they always seemed a little bitter to me. But then again, I've only had the ISOM variety...
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Welcome from Central Texas

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board from northwest Louisiana.

I would say you're off to a good start, based on that list you provided. The Habana Reserva line is my favorite of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by tagmill View Post
    Have I been buying decently regarded varieties, or have I been deceived by clever marketing and random internet blogging? I've paid anywhere from ~$3 up to around $10 a stick, and $7-10 seems a fair price for good quality, but as mentioned before, I may be mistaken.
    That's a pretty good gauge. Just like you touch on a bit later in your post, though, cigar smoking is subjective. There are some very expensive cigars that I simply do not care for. The key is to try many different vitolas and many different blends made by many different manufacturers. Even then, things like what you are drinking, how recently you've eaten, and even the kind of mood you are in can all have an effect on whether or not you like that particular cigar. Not to mention if, by some chance, you just got a bum cigar. How you arrive at your opinion is your journey, and others may differ from your opinion, but none of that matters. It's all in what YOU like to smoke.

So I ask you gentlemen (and maybe a few ladies), what can I try that will give me a standard to judge other cigars by? I know what I like, and I don't buy again that which I don't, but the experience and recommendation of far more experience connoisseurs would be greatly appreciated.
    Like I said before, your list was respectable, but very limited. Try picking up cigars from different regions, like the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras, Mexico, etc. Try maduros, sun-grown, natural. Try smoking the same blend, but in different vitolas (sizes). Don't be afraid that the cigar you are smoking isn't going to be what you expect. Drop all expectations. This isn't a contest, you've said so yourself, just relax and enjoy it.

The Montecristo was purchased mainly on the basis of brand name and the cool aluminum tube it came in. Shamelessly, I can be easily swayed by pretty packaging, a trait that can be seen in past romances and some very ill-advised wine purchases.
    Well, that's one way to pick out cigars. Another way is to check out the Newbie Sampler Thread in the Exchange section of the forum. That's a great way to not only establish some cred on the board, but also gets you some really nice smokes. You should look into it.

Welcome again.

Grapevine? - Texas?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Hey, I'm new like you so I might not have too much to help. With my undeveloped tastes I've enjoyed the Henry Clay really well though I can't find any around where I live so if you can find it... I've really enjoyed the H. Upmann line. The Special from the Dominicans are great and I've been able to find some great deals on the Signatures from Honduras.

Some popular trivia about the Upmann - the day before the trade embargo Kennedy reportedly ordered his press secretary to pick up 1,200 cigars from Cuba. Most of them being H. Upmann.

Some not so popular history - the Upmann is the cigar used by Clinton to make Monica a happy woman.

Welcome to the forum!

Kris

Welcome to the board!

Pablo
    All my ex's live in Texas.

Blog Entries

I've been lurking around for a few weeks and finally decided to say hello to all you nice folks.

I'm still very new to cigars, but I have found little else that is relaxing as sitting on the patio, smoking a cigar, and forgetting the stresses and responsibilities of life for an hour or so. As to what I enjoy, the list of cigars I have sampled would probably be much more expansive if I weren't a poor college student. That being said, I would rather purchase one excellent cigar than spend the same amount on several of dubious quality.

I'll include a list of cigars I have tried below, disappointingly short as it is. Have I been buying decently regarded varieties, or have I been deceived by clever marketing and random internet blogging? I've paid anywhere from ~$3 up to around $10 a stick, and $7-10 seems a fair price for good quality, but as mentioned before, I may be mistaken.

My list:
    Montecristo White (Purchased today, as a ring-dunk smoke. Any other Ags on the forum?)
    Romeo y Julieta Cedro de Luxe No. 2
    Romeo y Julieta Churchill (I enjoyed these)
    Romeo y Julieta Habana Robusto (I haven't smoked this one yet, probably will Sunday afternoon)
    Taboo Habana Sun Grown Corona (Recommended by a shop in Grapevine)

The Taboo was my first, and I can't say it was bad, but I can't say it was good either. I've since stuck with R&J, which was recommended as a brand for good quality and a decent price. The Montecristo was purchased mainly on the basis of brand name and the cool aluminum tube it came in. Shamelessly, I can be easily swayed by pretty packaging, a trait that can be seen in past romances and some very ill-advised wine purchases.

Thanks for reading my rambling introduction; I'm looking forward to reading and spending more time on the forum.
    Welcome from Ottawa, Canada!

As for standards, I have a few. I'm not saying these are the best smokes in their respective price ranges, but they are pretty good and very consistent. There are just so many different tastes and flavours out there that somebody else can totally disagree with me and be right - for their tastes.

Bundle-priced: Flor de Oliva (Gold, Maduro, Corojo)
    In fact, everything branded as Oliva in the respective price ranges.

Everything Padron in the respective price ranges, although, honestly, you may not get your money's worth from the 1964 and 1926 series until you've smoked more.

Sub-$5, newer palate: Rocky Patel Vintage 1990 or 1992 Seconds
    Sub-$5, not-so-new palate: Gran Habano Corojo #5
    Sub-$5, experienced palate: Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970

Then there's Fuente, whatever Don Pepin Garcia is making, and, of course, Cubans .
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Hello from Sidney, Ohio!

Thread Information