Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the allure?

Default What is the allure?

I've seen a lot of people talk about how great a cigar is because it knocked them on their ass. This only happened to me once - my first LFD lancero. I had a box of them so I reluctantly lit up another a few months later. Happily, I did not have a similar reaction and have enjoyed many "strong" cigars since then without incident.

I don't find running for water, sweating, getting nauseous or getting dizzy too appealing. As I said, it only happened once and I hope it never happens again. So my question is simple... What is the allure of a cigar "knocking you on your ass?"

Blog Entries

Default allure

Maybe its a macho thing. I dunno.

You might be referencing a Padron 3000 natural that I had that "knocked me down" on one of my reviews.

I agree, it wasn't pleasurable at the moment. I guess I just wanted to note it to describe the kick it gave me. It was rather distracting. I've had one since, and the same thing happened down at the end. Otherwise, it was a great smoke.

Maybe its me being tired at the moment, or had too much beer, or being too much of a lightweight.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Maybe its a macho thing. I dunno.
    If so, that explains it. I'm too damn old to worry about macho!

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    You might be referencing a Padron 3000 natural that I had that "knocked me down" on one of my reviews.
    No, I've seen it several times by several people here and on other boards.

It's never happened to me before with a cigar. I have had dip cause me to get a little queezy but never a cigar. I think some people may use the term for the good buzz / chill they get off of a strong cigar. Who knows.

I've had this happen a couple times, and most of the times it was not a good experiance. I've just recently had it happen and havn't smoked since nor had much of a desire to (but I know that will go away... it always does). There was once when it was a good experiance - in this instance, I wasn't feeling naucious and weak, but light-headed like I had been drinking too much. I loved that cigar, and have since been trying to convince myself to pony-up the £200 for a box...
    "Celebrate Yourself!"

A Gran Habano Corojo #5 Gran Robusto 6x54 kicked my ass one time.

I have certainly witnessed the ill effects of a cigar knocking someone on their ass -- especially when coupled with more than a few drinks. When we host and people imbibe, I'm always reluctant to allow a non-smoker to take a cigar. On more than one occassion I've had people people kneeling before one of my procelain thrones for hours as they purge and recover -- the uninitiated always get "the speech," but I always leave the decision to them -- a policy I should rethink as the failure rate seems to be approaching 50%.

Blog Entries

I like strong cigars. I have gotten the nic sickness once, but I learned from the experience and have not had a repeat of that event. I found no pleasure in the sweats and vomiting.

Blog Entries

I got crushed by a smoke once and it put me down for about 3 hours with a queasy stomache. It was a miserable experience and I don't intend on letting it happen again. I tend to smoke faster than most people, so a really strong cigar is typically not a good idea for me.

What are some of the strongest smokes you guys have had?
    Smoke em' if you got em'

No allure for me.

The only cigar that did me in is the Opus xXx, Power Ranger. I don't smoke them anymore. Maybe I'll give them a shot in a year or two, but for me its like getting totally wasted on yager, and not being able to smell the stuff for years to come.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE View Post
    Maybe I'll give them a shot in a year or two, but for me its like getting totally wasted on yager, and not being able to smell the stuff for years to come.
    For me it's Whiskey, Jim Beam specifically. Now I can't even drink Scotch!
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUNBLAZE View Post
    No allure for me.

The only cigar that did me in is the Opus xXx, Power Ranger. I don't smoke them anymore. Maybe I'll give them a shot in a year or two, but for me its like getting totally wasted on yager, and not being able to smell the stuff for years to come.
    I haven't yet found the Opus to mellow much, though I don't find them really strong initially, spicy and full flavored, but not too strong to me.....but the most age I've smoked is 3yrs.

Strong cigars (to me):
    JdN Antano
    ERDM
    Camacho coyolar
    Habanos puros fuerte
    DC maximus

I'm sure there are more that I just can't think of right now.

I have to say, the power ranger was my first Opus and I was a little excited, had a ice cold 12 pack of Heineken, and the thing to put me over the top, I smoked it way to fast!

Rich

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I've seen a lot of people talk about how great a cigar is because it knocked them on their ass. This only happened to me once - my first LFD lancero. I had a box of them so I reluctantly lit up another a few months later. Happily, I did not have a similar reaction and have enjoyed many "strong" cigars since then without incident.

I don't find running for water, sweating, getting nauseous or getting dizzy too appealing. As I said, it only happened once and I hope it never happens again. So my question is simple... What is the allure of a cigar "knocking you on your ass?"
    Perhaps it is more "could have knocked?"

Anyhow, I think whether someone is affected has as much to do with the conditions at the time as the cigar.

That being said, JdN Antano 1970's are just too strong for me. They're great smokes - rich, flavourful, and I'll put one down within an inch every time
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

I used to get a slight "buzz" from stronger cigars when I first started smoking and at the time I may have referred to that as being knocked on my ass by a cigar. Never really thought much of it, as to whether it made the experience more enjoyable or not back then.

But I will tell you this, after smoking a Camacho Coyolar, I truly know what being knocked on my ass by a cigar is and it was not very pleasant. That is why i haven't smoked a Coyolar since and have no desire to.
    Yay! Cigars!

Blog Entries

I like strong flavors in everything, beer, wine, food, and of course, cigars. Maybe I just feel like I'm getting more for my money!

Only been really hurt by a cigar once, and I was working with solvents at the time, so that probably was a factor.
    "We're at NOW now... everything that's hapening now... is happening NOW!"

~ Col. Sanders ~

"I guess all we need to do now is give a shit what you think. I'll work on that."

~ ashauler ~

I get a slight nicotine buzz occasionally - I can live with that, but if I had my choice I'd avoid it, too. It seems to be very dependent on smoking conditions (usually a hot day and an empty stomach.) But I don't consider it being knocked on my ass. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

I like stronger cigars too. A while back, I had a JDN Antano that knocked me for a loop. Hadn't eaten much and was kind of tired. Didn't like it at all. I've smoked these cigars since, but they're not on my favorite list - for me they seem cloying. The green 601 is a fairly strong cigar that I like a lot, and the San Cristobals too. Having said that, I just pulled the trigger on some Casa Royales that are on the light side of med/full and they are excellent cigars.
    Last edited by basil; 07-09-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

I hate to admit it but it happened to me the other night. I didn't eat any supper except for an ice cream cone and drank a few beers with my cigar later that night (it was a Romeo y Julieta, reason why I don't want to admit it is because its not a strong cigar and I don't want to appear weak amongst the real men here). I went to bed and woke up an hour later feeling extremely sick to my stomach. Had no idea what could have caused it because a cigar never affected me like that before. Now I think it was the cigar.

I'm hesitant to try a RyJ again because of this, but I did enjoy the cigar. I'm hoping I got sick because I didn't eat supper (and not that I'm a weakling)

EDIT: I guess I should add that I did not enjoy this and has no allure for me. In case you couldn't tell.
    Last edited by TravPSU; 07-14-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Additional info
    Each day I break my previous record of consecutive days alive.

Quote Originally Posted by TravPSU View Post
    I hate to admit it but it happened to me the other night. I didn't eat any supper except for an ice cream cone and drank a few beers with my cigar later that night (it was a Romeo y Julieta, reason why I don't want to admit it is because its not a strong cigar and I don't want to appear weak amongst the real men here). I went to bed and woke up an hour later feeling extremely sick to my stomach. Had no idea what could have caused it because a cigar never affected me like that before. Now I think it was the cigar.

I'm hesitant to try a RyJ again because of this, but I did enjoy the cigar. I'm hoping I got sick because I didn't eat supper (and not that I'm a weakling)

EDIT: I guess I should add that I did not enjoy this and has no allure for me. In case you couldn't tell.
    I think it happens to every new cigar smoker at least once. Don't let it scare you away if you enjoyed the cigar. Maybe just take it a bit slower next time.

Thread Information