Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Wooden Indian Expeditions

Blog Entries

Victor - Thanks!

SirPuffs - I stopped in at The Humidor on San Pedro and a couple of their satellite locations. The one you mentioned is near the mall, close to the Alamo.

-nick- Groovy.

Blog Entries

Default Episode #14 - Flame Cigar - Juno Beach, FL

Shop: Flame Cigars

This store is on U.S. 1 just south of Juno’s Loggerhead Marine Life Center and Jupiter’s Carlin Park over on Alternate A1A. Juno is funky little town. It has a mix of older homes and beachfront condos, plus a few new complexes erected during the latest construction boom. There are a few state land preserves and a couple county parks. It’s a little odd to see a ten story condo surrounded by state park land… across the street from the Atlantic Ocean.

Wooden Indian: OK. I may have to change the name of this thread to “the resin Indian expeditions.” At least the tradition is observed in some manner. These production models are available from the fine folks at Cuesta Rey, or you can purchase this very one from the owner of this shop. They’re not one-of-a-kind originals, but they’re still cool.

Note the smaller example over the Chief’s right shoulder:

Atmosphere: Flame Cigars is attached to a liquor store, so there are some space limitations. It has a formal feel, rather than a neighborhood club atmosphere. The shop is very tidy and well organized. Take a look at the layout and you’ll see what I mean.

Here’s a look from the front toward the smoking lounge and the humidor in the back. There is a bit more than meets the eye. You could walk past this place one hundred times and never know what the store holds.

Walk-in: This is a very well organized and well stocked humidor. You will find most of the major brands. The stock appears to be in very good condition and properly cared for.

Here it is:

Check out the Great Wall of Padron:

Additional offerings: In the main lobby you will find several display cases. They contain everything from lighters and cutters, to small travel humidors and desktop models. Once again, there’s more than meets the eye. (The photos are very poor, so I left them off. Sorry.) This may be the only place you need to stop to finish up your holiday shopping for cigar smoking friends.

Additional amenities: As I mentioned, the store is inside Flame Liquors. So, if you need a decent Scotch or other libation to enjoy with your cigar, you have it all in a one-stop shop. You could also load up the coolers and otterbox before you put in at one of the nearby boat ramps for an afternoon on the high seas. … Arrrrgh.

Summary: This is a good place to replenish your humidor or pick up a few single sticks. As I mentioned, there is a large selection of accessories. There is a lounge, but I can’t see it as a hang-out. Flame Cigars is a decent local resupply stop.

Disclaimer and Full Disclosure:
    Do not smoke too much; it is bad for you. I have the utmost respect for our Native American brothers. They never wear metallic armor. Ice cream is good. Sometimes I use Stay-Puft marshmallows in hot cocoa. I have no financial interest or ownership interest in any cigar shop, store, retailer, wholesaler, distributor, manufacturer, packager, shipper, stevedore, roller, farmer, harvester, or tobacco farm land lease holder, nor do I receive any other benefit, explicit or implied, from the inclusion of or review of any establishment herein named, referred to, or otherwise described. One guy did give me a free cigar. I watch the Big Bang Theory on CBS. We should have more old-school pirates. Arrrrgh. The most common commodity in this country is unrealized potential. I think Wooden Indians are cool. I wish more Cigar Store Indians were made from actual wood.

Blog Entries

Default Episode #15 - Coffman's Tobacco Shop - Stuart, FL

Episode #15 – Coffman’s Tobacco Shop

Shop: Coffman’s Tobacco Shop

Location: Stuart, FL – The Sailfish Capital of the WORLD. (Bet you didn’t know that…) The shop is on the SW corner of US 1 and SE Monroe, just south of the Super-Wally World plaza.

Wooden Indian: Yeah, kinda… sorta… They have a nice resin cigar store Indian in the smoking lounge near the entrance. Personally, I’m not a fan of the chalkboard menu part or the serving tray. The Chief looks a little embarrassed about it, too.

Atmosphere: This shop has an old school feel to it, with some up to date wiring under the surface. Back in the day, the owners of Coffman’s, the, um, Coffman’s… opened a store in Historic Downtown Stuart inside the original Post Office Arcade. You should hear the old man recount the story of the deal they got on the space. Ask him to tell you about it if he’s present when you stop by. I’m willing to wager he knows a few details of Stuart’s history that didn’t make it into the chamber of commerce brochure. Long story short, they sold the operation and moved down the road to gain additional space and an even better lease deal. Coffman’s has remained in the same plaza for decades now.

Service: I have not yet found more knowledgeable tobacconists on the Treasure Coast. If the owners are away, Ron is usually running the place. He is well versed in all things tobacco and has traveled to several cigar factories to learn about the blending and manufacturing process. As an aside, he is also a talented woodworker.

Here’s a look into the store from the entry door. The lounge is to the right, the main counter is off to the left, and the walk-in is straight back through the open door. It doesn’t look like much from here, does it? When you step in, you realize that the entire store is a tobacco display with several display cases throughout the store. What don’t they have?

Walk-in: Honestly, these photos do not do justice to the sheer volume of inventory jammed into this humidor. Take a look:

Here’s a little cove in the back of the humidor. On the left, in the acrylic display box on the third shelf, is a series of house blend sticks. There are now a few resting in my humidor waiting for review. I am told that they are made in Hondo by the same torceadors that roll Camacho branded sticks. They look pretty tasty.

Additional amenities: Here is a view of the lounge. I really enjoyed looking at the old advertising signage and the photos the Coffman’s took with various celebs and cigar industry icons. (Notice the candy dish on Chief Resinola’s serving tray. Yep, that’s Halloween candy. *sigh* Better late than never…)

There are some interesting pipe tobacco blends, a variety of pipe styles, and just about any other accessory you may need.

Summary: There’s not much glitter here, but they probably carry the cigar or pipe tobacco you need. You’ll also find a trustworthy source of cigar-related information. I highly recommend Coffman’s to Stuart’s cigar enthusiasts.

Do not smoke too much; it is bad for you. I have the utmost respect for our Native American brothers. They never wear metallic armor. Ice cream is good. Sometimes I use Stay-Puft marshmallows in hot cocoa. I have no financial interest or ownership interest in any cigar shop, store, retailer, wholesaler, distributor, manufacturer, packager, shipper, stevedore, roller, farmer, harvester, or tobacco farm land lease holder, nor do I receive any other benefit, explicit or implied, from the inclusion of or review of any establishment herein named, referred to, or otherwise described. One guy did give me a free cigar. I watch the Big Bang Theory on CBS. We should promote more old-school pirates. Arrrrgh. The most common commodity in this country is unrealized potential. I think Wooden Indians are cool. I wish more Cigar Store Indians were made from actual wood.

Blog Entries

Default Bobalu's Cigar Co.

Location: Austin, TX. 509 East 6th Street, 2 blocks east of I-35.
    URL: http://livecigarrollers.com/
    Atmosphere: Very laid back with the zest and excitement of 6th street right outside.
    Locals and visitors alike coming in all through the day and night.

Bobalu's has 6 full time rollers most grew up rolling in Cuba.
    They are the only rolling school in the USA as far as I know of.
    CNN did a skit on them and at that time they were the only rolling school in the country.
    The fresh rolls are wonderful. They roll all their own smokes except for the pre-embargo Cubans they have from time to time. They will make you custom labels or a Cuban espresso.
    This shop has a great ambiance and live cams on the rollers.
    Here are some pics from tonight when I went with my fiance` and we had espresso and and I bought some pipe tobacco and 6 cigars. If you are ever in Austin do yourself a favor and have a fresh roll.
    No Indian. Great place. Great stogies.

These fresh rolls are Dominican Binder and Filler.

The Pre-Embargo Cubans from 1959 are wonderful!

Last edited by EdgeMan; 01-12-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo, added description to an image, added URL
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Nice post, Edgeman. Bobalu's looks like a cool little cigar factory. Too bad about the missing Indian, though.

I think there are still a couple small factories near Tampa in Ybor City, FL, that teach rollers. I'm going over that way in a couple weeks so maybe I'll try to stop by one. Who knows, I may even run into a celebrity or two.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Smoked! View Post
    Nice post, Edgeman. Bobalu's looks like a cool little cigar factory. Too bad about the missing Indian, though.

I think there are still a couple small factories near Tampa in Ybor City, FL, that teach rollers. I'm going over that way in a couple weeks so maybe I'll try to stop by one. Who knows, I may even run into a celebrity or two.
    Yeah, no Indian but very cool place. Great smokes too.
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."
    ~Edward G. Robinson
    =====
    "Ain't nothin' better than a damn good cigar."
    ~EdgeMan
    =====

Blog Entries

Default Episode #016 - The Humidor, San Antonio, TX

Shop: The Humidor (soon to be Club Humidor – San Pedro), San Antonio, Texas

Location: The Humidor is located on San Pedro about a mile south of the 410 Loop in fabulous San Antonio, Texas. It is a stand alone building and has ample parking both in front by the road and behind the building. You can’t miss it.

Wooden Indian: Absolutely! There is an excellent Indian statue out front and a few more specimens inside. The only one I was permitted to photograph is a resin copy of a Plains Tribesman wearing a buffalo-horned headdress. It is not the best production on the premises. If this is a scaled model, the rifle appears to be some kind of break-action 50 BMG. That would handle a buffalo… or a light tank.

This shop was founded by Col. Rumbo and his wife back in the day. He established the business and added locations as the opportunities arose. The guys in the shop are awesome. It feels like a neighborhood smoke shack, but offers much more. I made two trips here during my stay in San Antonio. On the second visit, I remembered to bring my camera along. Unfortunately, one of the owners denied my request to photograph the interior.

The Exterior… from the parking lot:

Service: All the guys know their business and most are trained tobacconists. Even the customers are well versed in cigar-speak. This is a busy shop so I tried not to bother the staff.

Walk-in: The Humidor boasts “the largest walk-in in the Southwest”… or so I am told. Alas, no photos.

Cigars: You name it. There is a concentration on higher end merchandise, but they offer something for everyone. This chain of shops lays claim to the title of largest Davidoff distributor in the region. The regional sales representative, Chris, happened to stop in and he filled me in on the details. Their sales volume is so strong that the Davidoff people pitched in to build a Winston Churchill Cigar Lounge. Sorry, no photos.

Additional offerings: The Humidor offers a great selection of cigars as well as a broad range of accessories, toys, and gadgets - none of which I was allowed to photograph. *sigh*

Additional amenities: They are adding an AVO Lounge, similar to the existing WCL. Access to the AVO Lounge will require membership. They do offer a special “members only” AVO club cigar. However, no photos are permitted.

Summary: Despite my sarcasm about the photos, this really is a “must see” shop. Next time you’re in San Antonio, haul your butt up to The Humidor and plan to spend a little time browsing and hanging out in the lounge. IMO, it’s the second best cigar lounge in Greater San Antonio. Who is tops? I’ll tell you later.

Do not smoke too much; it is bad for you. I have the utmost respect for our Native American brothers. They never wear metallic armor. Ice cream is good. Sometimes I use Stay-Puft marshmallows in hot cocoa. I have no financial interest or ownership interest in any cigar shop, store, retailer, wholesaler, distributor, manufacturer, packager, shipper, stevedore, roller, farmer, harvester, or tobacco farm land lease holder, nor do I receive any other benefit, explicit or implied, from the inclusion of or review of any establishment herein named, referred to, or otherwise described. One guy did give me a free cigar. I watch the Big Bang Theory on CBS. We should promote more old-school pirates. Arrrrgh. The most common commodity in this country is unrealized potential. I think Wooden Indians are cool. I wish more Cigar Store Indians were made from actual wood. Please, no flash photography.

Blog Entries

Default Episode #17 - Club Humidor - San Antonio Quarry

Episode #17 – Club Humidor – The Quarry

Shop: Club Humidor – The Quarry, San Antonio, TX

Location: This edition of Club Humidor is located in the Quarry Shops off 281 and Basse Road - Deep in the Heart of Texas! Special note: This is one of five local shops owned by the same family. Take a look back at Episode # 16, “The Humidor”, in post # 67.

Wooden Indian: Yes! Here is a fine Cigar Store Indian proudly displayed on the walk in front of the shop. There are also a couple old-school Punch statues inside. Check out this fine example:

Atmosphere: The Quarry is a high end shopping destination that includes retail, dining, entertainment, and anchor tenants such as Whole Paycheck Foods, Gap, Old Navy, and Victoria’s Secret – Ooh, la, la! or… whatever… should have taken some photos there…

Here’s a Punch guy in lieu of pictures from Victoria’s:

The other Punch guy is near the front door:

Service: The youngster at the counter that day introduced himself as Ed. I liked his style. He allowed me plenty of time to snoop around and fielded all my questions with big-league skill and reasonable responses. He demonstrated a thorough knowledge of his stock and of the cigar trade in general. My impression is that he is very honest in expressing his opinions. No nonsense, no hedging – just good responses.

Walk-in: The walk-in is fairly large and well stocked. They offer all the expected brands. This is the first look I had at the recently introduced Xicar Havana Collection cigars. I haven’t smoked one yet, but they offer a few different wrappers and sizes to suit tastes from mild to wild. Ok, maybe not that wild.

Additional offerings: There is an excellent selection of humis, cutters, pipes, oh my! You will find everything you expect in a high end shop.

Additional amenities: There is an indoor lounge with comfortable seating, a giant television, and a variety of cold and hot drinks available. You will also find strategically placed seating out front. I ran into a group of guys enjoying cigars out on the benches. You can see them on the right in the first photo. There was a lawyer, a retired gentleman, a businessman, and an Army Staff Sergeant. We conversed for twenty minutes or so about cigars, cigar guys, and the lost cigar shop community. When you run into people that enjoy cigars, they aren’t strangers for long.

Summary: It is worth a trip to visit if you’re in town. I suggest that you ditch the female wimmin types at the shopping center and spend some quality time in the smoking lounge.

Do not smoke too much; it is bad for you. I have the utmost respect for our Native American brothers. They never wear metallic armor. Ice cream is good. Sometimes I use Stay-Puft marshmallows in hot cocoa. I have no financial interest or ownership interest in any cigar shop, store, retailer, wholesaler, distributor, manufacturer, packager, shipper, stevedore, roller, farmer, harvester, or tobacco farm land lease holder, nor do I receive any other benefit, explicit or implied, from the inclusion of or review of any establishment herein named, referred to, or otherwise described. One guy did give me a free cigar. I watch the Big Bang Theory on CBS. We should promote more old-school pirates. Arrrrgh. The most common commodity in this country is unrealized potential. I think Wooden Indians are cool. I wish more Cigar Store Indians were made from actual wood. Please, no flash photography.

Blog Entries

I agree with your assesment! Great place to come and enjoy a smoke.

Blog Entries

Default Episode #18 - Club Humidor, Huebner Oaks Plaza - San Antonio, TX

Episode #18 – Club Humidor, Huebner Oaks Plaza - San Antonio, TX 78230

Let’s try to shake up the formula a little.

This is the Huebner Oaks edition of the Club Humidor family of stores. If you are familiar with their location in The Quarry, you can see the family resemblance. It is nothing like the Mother Ship down in SA off San Pedro (The Humidor – please, no photos.)

My visit was on a Saturday back in November of ’09. There was quite a crowd gathered around the giant TV watching the Longhorns issue yet another beat down to a hapless conference foe. The Big 12 ain’t what it used to be… There were quite a few men and women enjoying the football game and a cigar, as well as the soft drinks and caffeinated beverages available in the store. This is exactly how a local cigar shop should work.

I chose not to take photos while the shop was jammed with customers. I estimated the mix at about 60/35/5 (male/ female/ indeterminate). My thinking was that if I whipped out the camera and started snapping candids, some of those frenzied football patrons might take exception, rough me up, and toss me out of the store, ala Ron White. … Some of the dudes looked pretty tough, too… and no one wants to get tossed out of a cigar shop by a bunch of girls… or an indeterminate bipedal hominid.

I was surprised at the traffic volume during my brief visit. There was a steady flow of customers in the walk-in humidor and at the accessory cases. Some of the volume may be attributable to holiday gift shopping, but I bet this store is turning in solid numbers year-round.

The photo below is the only one I have to offer. You can tell from the façade that the store is in a fairly new shopping plaza. Most of the other tenants are boutique and specialty shops. The Humidor fits in perfectly with this retail market segment. I left this image full size so you can zoom in a little and pick out a few details. If I had a 10x10000 lens like some people, you could see the UT logo on the shirt of the guy just inside the door.

What you can readily see is that the plaza is clean and well-maintained, the signage is easily visible, and the disabled are encouraged to park right up front. What you can’t easily spot is the fine Wooden Indian just inside the entry on the right and the fat little Punch statue on the left, facing out.

Also inside is a large accessory case on the back wall, the main service counter, and a well-stocked humidor that takes up most of the bay to the left of the main room. There is an excellent selection of all the national brands and premium cigars you expect. The conditions are perfect and the stock appears to be in excellent shape. I picked up a couple figurados for the trip home.

This location is quite a drive from downtown San Antonio, but if you have a reason to travel up to Huebner, you should definitely stop here. If you live nearby and enjoy watching sports with other cigar smokers, put Club Humidor in Huebner Oaks on your list.

Blog Entries

Default Episode #19 - Latin Gold - Rivercenter Mall, San Antonio, TX

Episode #19 - Latin Gold - Rivercenter Mall, San Antonio, TX 78205

Shop: Latin Gold - San Antonio 78205

Location: Rivercenter Mall – Downtown SA, up the street from the Riverwalk.

Wooden Indian: Uhhhh… negative. The place is called Latin Gold. The logo depicts a type of Aztec pyramid, so perhaps an image of Quetzalcoatl would be more appropriate. I’ll have to brush up on my fourteenth century Mesoamerican history.

I respectfully submit for your approval the ancient Aztec Deity, Quetzalcoatl.

Atmosphere: It’s in a mall… next to Macy’s. <p>

Service: Maybe I made the guy a little nervous. I don’t know. He seemed suspicious at first, but after I explained the TWIE thread, he lightened up. He probably thought I was an insurance inspector or BATF agent. My impression is that most of their business is online, by phone, and through mail-order.

Humidor: There are climate controlled display cases in the customer area of the shop rather than the typical walk-in. This type of display seems appropriate for the setting. Yes, Latin Gold rolls their own. At first, I thought they had only a small selection of private label hand-made cigars. They offer many blends, shapes, and sizes. There is also an assortment of flavored cigars for those who are so inclined.

Additional offerings: The focus is obviously on the house blends, but they also keep a small stock of national brands. You can see some display humidors and related accessories for sale in the photo. I saw some nice pipes on the wall display to the right. Smoking is prohibited in the mall, so there is no lounge or cigar smoking area.

One cool feature at Latin Gold is the cigar roller at the front of the shop. The poor guy must feel like he’s working in a fishbowl. He does attract a fair amount of attention from passers-by. There’s no way to know if all the production is done on site, but the dude can turn out some product on short order. I noticed he had a few short stogies set aside for the way home. I didn’t hassle him. He looked pretty handy with that sharp-ass blade.

Summary: Is it a destination or just a local depot? Actually, I was surprised at the amount of stock Latin Gold has on hand. I picked up a couple robustos. IMHO, Latin Gold maduro robustos are a solid smoke, but not exceptional. If you’re in town and you get dragged to the mall by your shopaholic wife, ditch her at Macy’s and stop here.

A little SFW cigar p0rn:

Maduro Robusto, 50 x 5

Blog Entries

Default Episode #20 – C.I.G.A.R., San Antonio, TX

Shop: C.I.G.A.R., San Antonio, The Woodlands, TX 78232

Location: The club is located off Thousand Oaks, a few miles east of Highway 281/37. It is in a plaza on the north side of the road. If you take the curve too fast you’ll drive by it and have to double back. <sigh> Here’s a photo:

Wooden Indian: Maybe the guys across town bought up all the Indian statues. C.I.G.A.R. earns partial credit for their Cuesta Rey chalkboard chief. He looks a little embarrassed about the whole sandwich-board thing.

The emphasis is on the Diamond Crown Cigar Lounge. It is for members only, but one of the owners gave me a full tour of the place. No photos inside the lounge are included out of respect for the members present at the time. This is an exceptional cigar lounge and club.

We entered through the locker room just past the main retail service counter. It is a well lighted, conditioned storage space which serves as a members’ entrance to the DC Lounge. The lockers are custom made and designed specifically for cigar storage. They are large enough to hold several boxes of fine smokes and are tall enough to hold upright a refreshment container the size of a two liter soda. Draw your own conclusions. Rentals run from $575 - $775, and include annual membership to the club. It’s worth it.

The interior lighting is a little dim. Once my eyes adjusted, I could see the various seating areas and all the expected smoking accessories. There are several televisions, wireless internet, and even a pool table. (Please, no wagering.) You can see the entry to the lounge in the background of the lobby photo.

Service: These guys are experienced and knowledgeable. Equally important, they are accommodating and friendly. C.I.G.A.R. is both a store and a members’ club. I believe the owners and personnel are fully aware of the distinction between customers and clients.

Walk-in: I really like this style of display/walk-in humidor. It gives the shop an appealing ‘open look’ and still keeps the merchandise in top notch condition.

C.I.G.A.R. also offers a full array of smoking related accessories and merchandise. They will gladly acquire for you any item that they do not stock. Unfortunately, I failed to photograph the entire left side of the retail area. You can see some of the displays in the photo above.

Additional amenities: Along with the DC Lounge, they offer beverage service and soft drinks. Texas has strict laws on liquor licenses. Since the club is close to a school, they are not permitted to serve alcohol. Here in FL, I believe they serve it with the school lunch, but that’s just speculation based on student S.A.T. scores.

Oh, yeah, there is a deck out back for use during events and when the weather cools.

Summary: If you’re on the North end of town or out in Hill Country, stop in at C.I.G.AR. If you’re on the South end, take a drive up that way. IMO - This is the best smoking lounge in San Antonio… but there’s still a larger humidor in the Southwest. I’ll tell you about it later.

Blog Entries

Nice job indeed. I have driven past this store several times since my local dive shop is literally across the street. I've been wanting to stop by and check them out but the fact that the lounge is for members only kind of bums me out. I do want to go in there and smoke one on the deck once the weather warms up a little bit....this should happen in a couple of weeks here

Nice job smoked!

Blog Entries

Default Episode #21 - Fincks Cigar Factory Outlet - Castle Hills, TX

Shop: Finck's Cigar Factory Outlet – Castle Hills, TX 78213

Location: The factory outlet is located on the north side of the 410 loop off West Avenue in the thriving burg of Castle Hills – population 4,202. Hee-haw! It is directly across the street from Aggie Park, for those of you who are familiar with the Greater San Antonio area.

Wooden Indian: Jackpot! Yahtzee!
    I’ll add a show-n-tell post right after this review.

This is the outlet store for Finck's Cigar. The production facility is actually located near downtown San Antonio. Finck's claims to be the oldest cigar maker in the Texas, founded in 1893. There is a detailed company history and some interesting local history on the company website.

I stopped in on a Thursday on my way to the airport. The store is about two miles west of SAT. There was far more to see than I expected. Here’s a photo of the building and the logo.

Finck's has set up shop in what may be described as a converted residence. I call it a complete upgrade and renovation. In any case, the building has five rooms and some private office space. The following photos show the layout.

CIGAR ROOMS

This is the main room behind the small foyer and register desk. The employees have a couple tables set up for use in routine tasks and for stock maintenance. I really liked the kids at the counter. They were friendly, engaging, and helpful. What more can you ask? In this room, they stock an array of national brands. I noted some Padron Anniversary boxes and AF premium blends. Tasty. (You can see a few of those in part two right next to the Punch guy.) Except for the displays in the foreground, the entire room is filled with popular brands. This single room is larger than most retail cigar stores. Note the gianormous humidifier on the back wall.

Just behind the main room and work area is the accessory room. They offer all kinds of tobacco related merchandise and they seem to have decent prices. I picked up a ten cigar travel case for about twenty bucks. Maybe next time I’ll try one of those fine corncob pipes hanging above the second shelf near the other pipes. Perhaps not.

Check out the cabinet on the back wall. A local carpenter custom manufactures them. I have no idea if his prices are even in the ball park, but he can certainly build a fine piece of furniture. On the right-hand side, out of view, are shelves full of humidification devices and hygrometers. There are types I have never before seen. Oddly, there were no beads.

Cigars: Some of Finck's trademarks include Travis Club, Cheroots, Casino Club, and Alamo Sweets. Despite their swisheresque appearance, I felt compelled to purchase these. They mysteriously went missing from my checked baggage – ding-danged Homeland Insecurity! … (I know you’re reading this, and I know that you know that I know you’re reading this. Kiss my Tex-ass, you swisher snatchers! I hope you inhale! Fokkers.) Well. That’s better.

Ever heard of Moonshine Crooks? Nor have I, but they have them in stock if you’re curious. Along with the missing Alamo Sweets, I picked up some Travis Clubs and a couple barber-pole cheroots to try out. It was an impulse buy. They looked cool.

Another view showing the lockers and lounge:

Lockers and Lounge:
    This is one of the best features of Finck's. You can see the lockers to the right, just below the panes of glass that separate the store from the smoking room. They offer excellent rates on lockers and some kind of “free cigar” arrangement for locker renters. If you’re nearby, it may be worth investigating.

In the lounge, I ran into a guy named Keith who is the Sergeant at Arms of the “The Happy Place Cigar Club”, of which I am now a proud card-carrying member. Based upon my impressions of the members I met on that day, this club represents exactly what the WIE thread is all about. It is a gathering place open to cigar smokers of any stripe.

So, why is the lounge walled off, you ask? Apparently, Texas has some fairly strict smoking regulations. Some of the laws have truck-sized loopholes. Bottom line – If you have a social club, you may designate a smoking area in your establishment for the use of that social organization. Keith told me that a few regular visitors to Fincks are attorneys. The arithmetic is simple. I think San Antonio locals may enjoy attending club sponsored events.

That’s Ernie sitting there on the left. Interesting cat. You can see about two-thirds of the room in this photo. Out of view is a counter with a coffee maker, some beverage service, and a restroom. It is similar to what you may find in a typical office break room. It’s not too shabby. Look at the giant torch on the coffee table. Dang. That’s Texas size!

Summary: Next time you visit San Antonio, plan to spend some time at the outlet. It is well worth the trip.

Do not smoke too much; it is bad for you. I have the utmost respect for our Native American brothers. They never wear metallic armor. Ice cream is good. Sometimes I use Stay-Puft marshmallows in hot cocoa. I have no financial interest or ownership interest in any cigar shop, store, retailer, wholesaler, distributor, manufacturer, packager, shipper, stevedore, roller, farmer, harvester, or tobacco farm land lease holder, nor do I receive any other benefit, explicit or implied, from the inclusion of or review of any establishment herein named, referred to, or otherwise described. One guy did give me a free cigar. I watch the Big Bang Theory on CBS. We should promote more old-school pirates. Arrrrgh. The most common commodity in this country is unrealized potential. I think Wooden Indians are cool. I wish more Cigar Store Indians were made from actual wood. Please, no flash photography. Yahtzee!

Blog Entries

Default Episode # 021 – Part Two - The Indians of Fincks Cigar Factory Outlet.

Part Two - The Indians of Finck's Cigar Factory Outlet.

This Indian statue is just inside the main entry in the foyer. I like the buffalo cape, but those are some loud pants, Chief.

Here is a closer look.

Shorty, here, is just inside the door to the humi…house. He is about three and one-half feet tall, and the detail is fairly good. You can see an eagle design on the breastplate with some turquoise beading. I wonder what the significance may be. The blue suede shoes are a nice touch.

This Indian almost escaped my notice. He is partially hidden behind a closed cigar case that contains Acids. Sealing Acids off from everything else is definitely a good idea. Even the chief looks a little nauseous.

Would you leave this Punch guy guarding the Padrons? I’m not sure that’s such a good idea. Look at those shifty eyes. He does seem to be a popular figure here in San Antonio. So far, just about every shop has had one on display. Or maybe he’s following me…

Blog Entries

I drive by fincks to and from work everyday. Its pretty fun on fridays since everybody comes out there to smoke after work. Their prices are amazing as well.

Blog Entries

Default New Episodes!

There are more expedition reports, updates on previous entries, and new debriefs to file.

Watch this space!

Blog Entries

Default Episode # 22 - Ybor City Series - King Corona Cigar

Episode #22 - Ybor City Series No. 1 – Ybor City, Florida… Hee Haw!

I was fortunate to have the pleasure of making this trip with the one and only badwhale during his sunny, funny visit to fabulous Florida. (Do not challenge him to a game of shuffleboard. Consider yourselves warned!) There is plenty of info online about the Ybor City neighborhood and the Tampa cigar scene in general. In light of the current economy and with the fact that Greater Tampa is flat on it’s financial a$$, the retailers and factories of Ybor are doing well just to stay in business after the collapse of the local real estate market.

Speaking of real estate deals, this area was revitalized in the late 90’s using the city center concept. What is “revitalization?” Well, I’m glad you asked. Revitalization is a process whereby well-connected landowners and politicians pitch an economic stimulus package in order to secure Public Funding, Government Grants, CRA tax exemptions, and subsidized Commercial Loans for the purpose of inflating the values of their slum property holdings and to build new malls nearby. Streets get resurfaced, new highway ramps are added, brokers and bankers float a mountain of debt to tax-advantaged yield hungry investors and unwitting REIT purchasers, politicians get re-elected, developers get rich and move to Vegas, and the targeted neighborhood gets a thorough cleaning along with a new paint job… plus a complimentary window wash and some coupons. Everyone wins. Except America. … Have you guys ever played Jenga? Never mind.

Ybor is one of the oldest Tampa-area neighborhoods. It was built back in the late 1800’s by real businessman with real profits from actual manufacturing and sales. Fascinating concept. (Sorry about the rant. I blame badwhale’s ADHD.) Ybor City currently attracts thousands of tourists, hundreds of local weekend revelers… and at least two cigar junkies.

We visited eight cigar shops on Seventh Avenue, which is the main road through Ybor. At the west end there was a mall-type shopping area called Centro Ybor, but we skipped that part. We also made a short excursion to Tampa ‘Closed on Monday’ Sweethearts, which is located a couple blocks away. They’re closed on Monday. Did I mention that?

Basically, the program worked like this: a) park and then walk both sides of the street, b) stop in and flirt with cigar girls, c) double back and buy stuff, d) snap a few photos. Things don’t always work out the way you think they will. We spent a few hours browsing and chatting with shop owners and staff. I didn’t take enough photos. Also, most of the cigar girls apparently had the day off.

King Corona was the first stop. This shop gets my “best overall cigar-related establishment” rank. I’m certain they’ll be delighted to learn of this prestigious award… or whatever. It is actually two businesses under one roof. There is a cigar humidor side and a café side with seating, beverage and bar service, and a café style menu. Wait. Did I say two businesses? There’s a third one if you include the barber shop. Yes, there’s a barber shop in the cigar store.

King Corona Cigar

There is a cool neon AF sign over top of the entry. I don’t know how long this sign has been up there, but the fittings look very weathered and the style fits the ‘period look’ the re-development people were going for. I would guess it is patterned after something from the late 1950’s or 60’s.

Outdoor seating – I’m pretty sure all six of those heavyweight banker types seated out front fell out of that sleek silver ’01 Saturn - clown car style. The excess weight may explain why the driver’s side rear hub cap popped off. Nice. … Classy.

At last! Finally, we have a cigar shop with an actual Wooden Indian statue made from actual wood! Oh, you can see the barber shop over his left shoulder. Here he is! Chief Corona:

King Corona is probably the most complete and spacious store/café/bar/barber shop on the street. They offer many national brands, but no house blend. There are private lockers behind display case. Check out this tourist trying to lift a few souvenirs on the five finger discount program. Miscreant.

Cool little window mural w/ street images/old tools/menus:

As we worked our way east on Seventh, We came upon perhaps the best non-cigar related display on the avenue:

Save the TaTa’s – this is my kind of town!

In the image below, check out the bra above the right side of the banner. That, my friends, is some serious rigging. All kidding aside, Save the Ta-Ta’s is a decent organization working toward an admirable goal. The Susan G. Komen organization has a bit more reverent approach, but you have to sell ideas to people in different ways. I am certain neither organization would mind me poking, um, making a little fun since I support them… fully… much like the devices in the display. In honesty, my own family has been affected by this scourge. Both are on my list for charitable financial support. I have enjoyed participation in a couple of the local Race for the Cure events sponsored by the latter group.

Next up: Ybor Cigars Plus. You’ll like this one, too!

Blog Entries

LOL. I give my gut a rating of 3.5 on a scale of 10....give it a few years

yBor was truly one of my vacation highlights. Thanks for hauling my butt around Smoked!

Not cigar related, but I think lunch was pretty noteworthy where 2 slices were ordered, and basically a 1/2 a pie came out...

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Yeah, I have a couple more shots of "The Shoplifter" coming up.

I forgot about the pizza! We ate all that, too. Holy Cow.

The other thing I would add was the stop by Tampa Sweethearts. I don't have enough material to make a separate post because they were closed on Monday. Did I mention that? There was someone in the office out front, too. I saw him at his desk on the phone. I'm pretty sure it was Artie or Lil' Carl. Really.

Here's the sign out front. Look at all the killer brands they manufacture. Wow. Frickin' Monday...

Thanks for joining me on the trip. Sorry for referring to you as a miscreant. ... Reprobate.

Thread Information