Thread: help with humidor

1. Default help with humidor

Hello Everyone,
    Im a new member here and would like to say hello to everyone and ask a couple of questions about humidors.
    I've been a casual cigar smoke for a few years now and uasually buy a couple cigars a week.Someone gave me a humidor and showed me a couple of web sites where i can get some good prices and larger quantities.My questions are; should i put something in the humidor to keep humidity level up? And when i store my cigars should i take them out of wrappers, tins, glass tubes,etc?
    thanks inadvance for any help you can give me.
    Anyone buy there cigars online ?anyone recommend a good site?
    ROLLMAN

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rollman
    Hello Everyone,
    Im a new member here and would like to say hello to everyone and ask a couple of questions about humidors.
    I've been a casual cigar smoke for a few years now and uasually buy a couple cigars a week.Someone gave me a humidor and showed me a couple of web sites where i can get some good prices and larger quantities.My questions are; should i put something in the humidor to keep humidity level up? And when i store my cigars should i take them out of wrappers, tins, glass tubes,etc?
    thanks inadvance for any help you can give me.
    Anyone buy there cigars online ?anyone recommend a good site?
    ROLLMAN
    In terms of sites, I'm a big fan of Cigars International. Be sure to also check out the advertisements section, which will steer you to really good deals. A new source for cigars is vcigar which has some competitive prices. Personally, I'd leave the cigars in their wrappers. It's useful for keeping them in good shape. Ditto tubes and tins. And yes, you should use something to keep humidity levels up. Check out this for help on beads. There are numerous other companies that offer them as well, just google by typing in "humidity beads." and you'll be good to go. In the meantime, you can go the cheap route by using foam from hobby places that people use for flower placement.

SFG75 Guest

Oh, and....welcome to CSmokers!.

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    Oh, and....welcome to CSmokers!.
    Ya know, Scotty - I was worried you weren't going to do that.... I'm sure our new friend here would not want to come back until he got your warm greeting!!!

Sorry - Please ignore Scotty... He's not taken his meds today... He has a tendency to be a bit sensitive...

I also keep my individual wrappers on the cigars, whatever the material. And even just a shot glass of distilled water will help keep the wood moist until you can get it filled with cigars and put a proper humidification device in it.

And welcome to the board!!! Enjoy your stay
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Welcome to CigarSmokers.com.............

Scotty's link for beads didn't work, buy your beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com .

Never put a shot glass of distilled water in the humi, get a small piece of anti-bacterial sponge ( the same type you use for the dishes) and soak it in distilled water. If you use a shot glass filled with water and someone bumps into the humi you now have very wet cigars and the wood would probably get ruined.

Taking the cigars out of whatever wrapper they come in is personal preference, some sticks I take out and some I don't. I like to have the cello on my cigars just in case I decide to take one or two with me. It keeps them protected. If ya decide you need a bigger humi.... best bet would be to buy a cooler

www.cigarbid.com is always a good site for cigars at some decent prices sometimes..... they are the sister company of www.cigarsinternational.com.

Stick around here, some people are very knowledgable about cigar smoking.

Default [URL=http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=home]JR Cigars[/URL]

Welcome aboard brother! I hear very good things about the beads as well, though I haven't picked up any yet (I've been slacking). The sites Bk linked to are great. Here are a couple others for you:

Famous Smoke Shop
    JR Cigars

As for keeping the smokes in cello or tubes, it's all up to you. I like mine nude in the humi for some reason.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Blog Entries

In terms of sites, I'm a big fan of Cigars International. Be sure to also check out the advertisements section, which will steer you to really good deals. A new source for cigars is vcigar which has some competitive prices. Personally, I'd leave the cigars in their wrappers. It's useful for keeping them in good shape. Ditto tubes and tins. And yes, you should use something to keep humidity levels up. Check out this for help on beads. There are numerous other companies that offer them as well, just google by typing in "humidity beads." and you'll be good to go. In the meantime, you can go the cheap route by using foam from hobby places that people use for flower placement.

LMAO, our resident Dork (SFG75) is trying to suck up to vcigar, a retailer who just joined this site YESTERDAY that he has no experience with. Don't pay any attention to him, he's famous for this, posting just to hear himself talk and sound "important" and "informed"

The large internet sites that most people use and have had good experiences with are:
    JRCigars
    CigarsInternational
    Famous-Smoke
    AtlanticCigar
    SeriousCigar

You can try vcigar if you like but don't take Scotty's word for it because he just found out about them yesterday when the guy who owns the place posted here.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-30-2005 at 01:31 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Hey, Scotty - what have you purchased at vcigar??? You wanna fill us in? Did we miss something???

SFG75 Guest

So tell us Rollman, what cigars do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    LMAO, our resident Dork (SFG75) is trying to suck up to vcigar, a retailer who just joined this site YESTERDAY that he has no experience with. Don't pay any attention to him, he's famous for this, posting just to hear himself talk and sound "important" and "informed"

The large internet sites that most people use and have had good experiences with are:
    JRCigars
    CigarsInternational
    Famous-Smoke
    AtlanticCigar
    SeriousCigar

You can try vcigar if you like but don't take Scotty's word for it because he just found out about them yesterday when the guy who owns the place posted here.

Hey CCat . . . you forgot to tell him about CBid! BWAAAAHAHAHA the evil money sucker of all those who dare type in their URL.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Hey CCat . . . you forgot to tell him about CBid! BWAAAAHAHAHA the evil money sucker of all those who dare type in their URL.
    Do we really want to expose the newb to CBid? Before we do, I think we need to consider his marital status and income level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Same company as CigarsInternational so in a way I did

Cigarauctioneer = Famous-Smoke

So Scotty, you never DID tell us about your experiences with vcigar? I will conclude that the fact that you're ignoring ggiese and my question means that we are correct in our statement that you had never heard about vcigar until he posted here the day before yesterday.

You're pathetic......
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Do we really want to expose the newb to CBid? Before we do, I think we need to consider his marital status and income level.
    Why martial status? Not everyone is in your situation where the wife wears the pants in the family.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Response moved to a more appropriate thread....

In Search of a Great Cigar with Scotty!!!
    Last edited by ggiese; 06-30-2005 at 01:06 PM.

16. Default

Thanks for all your replys and the 'welcome to the board' greetings.I plan on ordering some of those beads very soon. They seem like there easy to use and to maintain.
    As far as what i smoke, been smoking romeo and julieta's for a while , my bosses cohibas and whatever ones are on special in the store i by from( last couple of cigars from each box gets marked down from %20-50%).
    I have bought a couple of sample packs from thompsoncigars.com ,and i really like the Arturo fuente imperiale de oro)and the h.upmann (hamilton)cigars that where in there. so i will be trying a few diffrent ones from there lines of cigars for a while.
    Thanks Again for your responses.
    ROLLMAN

SFG75 Guest

Roll-

The samplers are really good at trying a wide range of cigars. After you find out what you really like, switch on over to CI, where prices are a lot cheaper than Thompson's. If you don't believe me, check out the Fuente prices. If you'd like some everyday yard-gar smokes from them, let me know. There are a few diamonds in the rough, though most aren't. The CI deals are very good as well.

Thread Information