Thread: Eville's CostaRican Reviews

Blog Entries

Default Eville's CostaRican Reviews

This will be the thread were I post the reviews of the cigars sent to me by costaricacigarstore.

Cumbres de Puriscal Gold Label Toro: from Tabacos de la Cordillera.
    Drink: Feckin Irish Whiskey on rocks

Prelight:
    Construction:one or 2 significant veins, and the wrapper appears to be sloppily applied with the edges coming up. Wrapper appearance is toothy and it feels to be consistently, adequately dense throughout.
    Scent: Musky tobacco - I like it.
    Cut: Cut easily with a cheap plastic double guillotine.
    Draw: a little on the easy side, but nothing to complain about.
    Prelight taste - Sweet tobacco

1/3
    Aroma: Stale tobacco, reminiscent of the Kinky Friedman the Willie. I hope this gets better.
    Strength: Medium
    Ash: Dark grey and flakey with a hole in the end
    Burn: At least it is even

2/3
    Aroma: Second verse worse than the first - Dog rocket.
    Burn: Getting uneven.
    Tapped off ash at about 1 inch

That's as far as I am going to go with this turd. I don't care what the last third was like. Even if it turned into a Vegas Robaina, it would not have been worth going through the first 2 thirds. I cannot, in good faith, recommend this cigar to anyone.

Don Juan Reserva Ecologica Black Label Torpedo: "This is a Costa Rica Puro using pesticide free tobacco. This is the strongets of this cigar line."

This one was far better than the last.

Prelight:
    Construction: This cigar was wrapped using a beautiful, oily, dark maduro leaf with no significant veins.
    Cut: Cut easily with a cheap plastic double guillotine.
    Draw: Spot on
    Prelight taste: Sweet tobacco

As I already said, this one was far better than the last one and was actually quite good. It started off kind of flowery. By the second third I was picking up some cocoa notes and later a little bit of cherry. I have never tasted cherry notes in a cigar before, so I had a couple buddies of mine try it out and they reported the same thing. Overall, this was a fantastic smoke, full bodied with some great flavors and a long smooth finish. I would definitely recommend grabbing a 5er of these.

Flor Real Petit: from Isthmus

Prelight:
    Construction: Seemed good enough. No prominent veins or soft spots.
    Cut: Xacto knife.
    Draw: Not bad
    Prelight taste: Sweet tobacco

This cigar has been sitting in my humidor for going on a year now. I had the lowest expectations of this cigar out of all the ones Mr. Costa Rica sent me, so I decided to let it sit the longest (I was afraid of it). It started out pleasant enough with nice woodsy notes and was smooth on the palate. About 30 seconds in, it turned very bitter, as many cheap cigars do. The bitterness lessened several minutes later, but was still quite prominent. I gave up half way in. I would place the value of this cigar at around 60 cents.

Last edited by Eville; 10-24-2011 at 02:43 AM.

Well, that's a shame...

Blog Entries

Thanks for the review.

Blog Entries

Can't say I'm surprised.

I'm glad that clown refused to send me a sampler to try because it would have been a very unpleasant experience.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Eville,

Thank you for the honest review. Tabacos de la Cordillera has some unique cigars that are not everyone's cup of tea. I do believe that there are very few people in this world who know more about cigars than John Vogel. I hope you at least enjoyed the other cigars from the other manufacturers that I sent.

Coventry,

I believe I did not send you cigars because you were the fifth person to reply (first three received the free cigars) and you asked me to send them to a Haywood U. Blowme. I doubted the existence of said person.

Mike
    The Costa Rica Cigar Store

Blog Entries

Haven't gotten around to the other cigars yet. The cold weather has slowed my smoking pace down some. When I do smoke them, though, I will edit those reviews into the first post.

Blog Entries

New review added

Blog Entries

I am finished reviewing the Costa Rican cigars, thankfully.

Thread Information