Thread: Pine humidor

1. Default Pine humidor

I have a question for some of you. ( I realise that I've only just joined and if you would prefer not to answer due to that fact then that's cool)

I've outgrown all my Tabletop Humidors and to be frank, a cabinet humidor in the UK is around £1100.00 which I just can't afford right now, my collection is currently in a fridge (Turned off), I could but from the US but the shipping would be conciderable.

So, my question to you is, if I bought a pine cabinet and sealed it, the one I have my eye on has glass doors and cthey too could be sealed, all the cigars would be in cedar trays and the UK is fairly humid anyway. Would this work? I think that Pine is fairly inert and shouldn't cause a problem.

Your thoughts if you will.

Blog Entries

Save yourself the trouble and get a cooler and set it up for storage. You can find instructions by searching this site.

I would agree that a cooler would be the best option, but if you are wanting a cabinet style humidor as a nice piece of furniture and a conversation piece I don't think pine is the best option. Pine is a very soft wood and has it's own distinct and pungent scent. Most humidors seem to be made of very hard woods such as cherry, mahogany, etc. and then lined with Spanish Cedar.

Mark

You could compromise - and put a cooler into the pine cabinet!

You need consistent humidity and temperature so that you do not destroy your cigars. The cooler is a good alternative for "mass" storage, since it has a very nice seal and is relatively cheap. You should store your cigars in cedar trays (I use old cigar boxes), but you do have to set up the humidification. I use humidification beads in an old nylon stocking.

To prevent any mold to the cigars, the air in the "coolidor" must circulate. I use an "Oust" fan (it's a fan that runs on a "D" sized battery and normally circulates "Oust" air freshener - I removed the air freshener parts and just use the fan). If you can find a small DC fan, or even convert a processor cooling fan, it works just as well.

Good luck!

To answer, yes you can. but it's a lot of work and I'd use the cooler idea. (which I do)

6. Default

Okay points taken.

How about a sealed mahogany cabinet if I line it with Thin Spanish Cedar?

Would the mahogany route work?

Yes, but no harder than pine. It's the glass that is an issue.

8. Default

Okay, why is the glass an issue?

I don't understand all this. You can keep cigars in a tupperware box or a beer cooler or old fridge without any problems.

However you cant keep them in a box made with other wood, even if you put loads of Spanish cedar in it?

Please can someone explain all this it seems far to complicated for my little brain.

Blog Entries

If the glass is not sealed very well, it will leak and you'll have trouble maintaining your RH. Glass also allows light to enter which is not good for the cigars either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    If the glass is not sealed very well, it will leak and you'll have trouble maintaining your RH. Glass also allows light to enter which is not good for the cigars either.
    This is true. If you still like a good glass sealed door or lid, you can keep it from facing direct light. I have glass on mine, and I've not had any problems with light. I did have to run a bead of sealant around the glass.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    This is true. If you still like a good glass sealed door or lid, you can keep it from facing direct light. I have glass on mine, and I've not had any problems with light. I did have to run a bead of sealant around the glass.

Will
    I should probably mention that one of my humis has glass in the lid as well. It works just fine for me.

Thread Information