Thread: Making the most of limited space

Default Making the most of limited space

I just bought a 12-bottle (appx. 2 cubic feet), thermoelectric wine cooler. I know it's small, but my smoking budget doesn't allow me to accumulate much. I could easily continue to get by with only my 50-count humidor, but temp control is becoming an issue. The plan is to use it for my current rotation as well as for the odd box or two that must wait until room is available in the humidor.

The only mod I'll have to make is to add a custom shelf with extendable rails that will allow me to slide/roll out my 50-count humidor (end first) far enough to allow me to open the lid. The cooler will be stocked with one pound of 65% beads while the humidor has 60%.

1) Is it best to place the beads at the top, bottom, or middle, or a combination of those locations?
    2) Would there be any adverse effects from placing individual sticks directly on the metal racks or should I keep them in their boxes until ready to move into the humidor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	2470

Blog Entries

1) I'd say a combination of locations would be best.
    2) The boxes offer protection, and will make it easier to pull some out without spilling a pile on the floor, however they take up space. If budget is an issue, why not just keep them in their boxes until a point where the boxes are taking up too much real estate?

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    If budget is an issue, why not just keep them in their boxes until a point where the boxes are taking up too much real estate?
    That's the plan, but I'm sure I'll have some odd singles from samplers and what not. I'd hate to find out the hard way that the metal racks would transfer a metallic taste.
    "I took the liberty of... bullshitting you; okay?" ~Elwood
    "You lied to me man!" ~Jake
    "It wasn't lies; it was just... bullshit." ~Elwood

Blog Entries

Yes on the metallic taste, but not everyone can taste it. (I can taste stainless steel flatware, but most can't.)

As for bead location, water is heavier than air, and so moist air sinks, and dry air rises. Thus, beads up high release moisture faster, and beads on the bottom absorb moisture faster. Thus, bead location depends on ambient conditions (and impediments to circulation, fans, etc.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hed View Post
    That's the plan, but I'm sure I'll have some odd singles from samplers and what not. I'd hate to find out the hard way that the metal racks would transfer a metallic taste.
    Have a box for mixed singles.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

So, find a box with a half-way deep lid. Rip the lid off. Wha-la, two singles trays.

Simple and effective! Thanks guys.

On another note, is the Newbie Sampler trading still active? I noticed there hasn't been any recent posts. I sent a PM to the "next up" a week or two ago but it remains unread. Perhaps he's on vacation. I have since made my purchase for the month but would like to try again next month if it's still active.

Blog Entries

Simple and effective! Thanks guys.

On another note, is the Newbie Sampler trading still active? I noticed there hasn't been any recent posts. I sent a PM to the "next up" a week or two ago but it remains unread. Perhaps he's on vacation. I have since made my purchase for the month but would like to try again next month if it's still active.
    AFAIK, the thread's still active. SLCraiders, unfortunately hasn't been active lately, so just PM the next guy on the thread.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

AFAIK?? OK, thanks. I'm set for this month but I'll try again next month.

Blog Entries

AFAIK??
    As far as he knows.
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Thanks. I searched for and found a thread with a list of other acronyms/initialisms that I was wondering about too. Not always an easy task. I usually end up with hundreds of results to read through before getting to what I searched for.

Default Change of plans

The cooler arrived Monday and the inside dims are a bit smaller than I expected. My 50-count will not fit so I'll just keep it on hand for dryboxing. Also, the bottle-contoured shelves are kind of a hassle with rectangular boxes, so I've designed some shelves that should work nicely. I've sent a drawing and quote request to two shops. One can't get to them for several months and the other hasn't replied. My brother says he can build them so I think I'll give him a shot and use the boxes until he's finished.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Yes on the metallic taste, but not everyone can taste it. (I can taste stainless steel flatware, but most can't.)
    I can sometimes but not always. For me it is usually older stainless stuff. Older meaning more heavily used I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    As for bead location, water is heavier than air, and so moist air sinks, and dry air rises. Thus, beads up high release moisture faster, and beads on the bottom absorb moisture faster. Thus, bead location depends on ambient conditions (and impediments to circulation, fans, etc.)
    Never thought of it that way but of course it make perfect sense.

Have a box for mixed singles.
    Yep. And if you don't have a good cedar cigar box get an empty from a cigar store.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    So, find a box with a half-way deep lid. Rip the lid off. Wha-la, two singles trays.
    Like a AF Hem. box. or if you can get one an Anejo 49 box. That will fit pretty much any other stick in it.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Like a AF Hem. box.
    You're making me drool all over my keyboard.

Thread Information