Thread: Suggestions?

Question Suggestions?

Hello everyone, I'll start this off as many do by saying this is my first post and that I have just recently gotten into cigars. Several weeks ago my father brought me a couple cigars home from a business trip. I didn't used to be a fan of tobacco because the two most popular forms - Cigarettes and Chew - Are simply nasty, but I had my first cigar last month, and I was amazed by the great taste it had. And it was no where as disgusting as cigarette smoke, which I have always tried to steer clear of. So my first Cigar was a very fine Cohiba. Since then I've had a few cheap ones and a Dominican (which was very pleasing). I am now looking into grabbing a humidor so I can store some better cigars for use whenever the time may arise, which will probably be a couple times a week.

My first question is do you guys think I should grab a small humidor from a local cigar shop or would I find a better quality one online?

Next, what are some good brands that aren't too expensive, but would be fine enough for a special occasion or get together?

Now, here's my last one. While visiting my father again last week I opened up the fridge to grab some steaks for grilling when something caught my eye through a plastic shelf. There were 2 ziplock bags. Both had a mixture of Cohibas, MonteCristo's, Romeo Y Juliettas, and there were a couple other brands that I didn't recognize. Each one was in cello, then in a zip-lock bag, and then in another bag with ones of the same brand then they were grouped together in one of the large gallon sized bags. I'm not sure how long they have been there, but I opened one up and it seemed a little dry compared to other cigars I have encountered. I was thinking that I had hit the mother load, but now I question whether or not the cigars are still good. I don't think they've been there more thana year, and each one was in a total of one cellophane wrapper and 3 zip-lock storage bags. Do you think they can be salvaged? Should I put them in a humidor after I pick one up and leave them for a couple months or what?

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri
    Next, what are some good brands that aren't too expensive, but would be fine enough for a special occasion or get together?
    This is very very subjective. Best advice go to a Cigar shop and try them all. Many people like different Cigars for different reasons. I'm a Romeo y Julieta fan, however some swear to the Montecristo For me, I try to give someone something like a Romeo Y Julieta or Partagas or a nice Cohiba. However, again, everyone has their tastes.

There were 2 ziplock bags. Both had a mixture of Cohibas, MonteCristo's, Romeo Y Juliettas, and there were a couple other brands that I didn't recognize. Each one was in cello, then in a zip-lock bag, and then in another bag with ones of the same brand then they were grouped together in one of the large gallon sized bags...Do you think they can be salvaged? Should I put them in a humidor after I pick one up and leave them for a couple months or what?
    I'm not sure the answer to this one. What your father did is what we in the traveling/military world call a poor man's humidor. Get a Ziplock bag, put a sponge or damp rag in it, put your Cigars, wait about 3-4 days and you are good to go. (I have done this a lot on Deployments and TDY's, works awesome!!) However, I've never heard of putting them in a fridge, someone else maybe able to answer that question better than little ole me.

Lopaka
    Last edited by Lopaka; 07-17-2005 at 04:41 AM.

Hello everyone, I'll start this off as many do by saying this is my first post and that I have just recently gotten into cigars. Several weeks ago my father brought me a couple cigars home from a business trip. I didn't used to be a fan of tobacco because the two most popular forms - Cigarettes and Chew - Are simply nasty, but I had my first cigar last month, and I was amazed by the great taste it had. And it was no where as disgusting as cigarette smoke, which I have always tried to steer clear of. So my first Cigar was a very fine Cohiba. Since then I've had a few cheap ones and a Dominican (which was very pleasing). I am now looking into grabbing a humidor so I can store some better cigars for use whenever the time may arise, which will probably be a couple times a week.
    Welcome aboard!

My first question is do you guys think I should grab a small humidor from a local cigar shop or would I find a better quality one online?
    Being new to cigars, my advice would be not to spend too much on accessories. Get an inexpensive lighter (I use my zippo 99.9% of the time), get an inexpensive cutter (cheap plastic one $1-$5), and build a Tupperdor.

Just grab a decent size tupperware container with a good seal, get a household sponge and soak it in distilled water or humidifying solution (which your local shop will have), place the sponge in the tupperware and presto, you have a working cheap humidor.

Like Lopaka said, this is subjective. My advice would be go to your local shop, tell them your looking for some inexpensive smokes, and tell them what you have had before that you liked and didn't like. Get them to suggest 4 or 5 brands that they feel might suit your taste and grab 2 different sizes of each brand.

The reason I say get 2 sizes of each brand is for me, on some occasions size difference have given me different smoking experiences within the same brand. A good example of this are the Diablo Picante cigars. While I really disliked the larger ring guage smokes (spec. the Torpedo), I really liked the smaller ring guage cigars. This way, you can try the brand twice and no certainly wether you like them or not.

Now, here's my last one. While visiting my father again last week I opened up the fridge to grab some steaks for grilling when something caught my eye through a plastic shelf. There were 2 ziplock bags. Both had a mixture of Cohibas, MonteCristo's, Romeo Y Juliettas, and there were a couple other brands that I didn't recognize. Each one was in cello, then in a zip-lock bag, and then in another bag with ones of the same brand then they were grouped together in one of the large gallon sized bags. I'm not sure how long they have been there, but I opened one up and it seemed a little dry compared to other cigars I have encountered. I was thinking that I had hit the mother load, but now I question whether or not the cigars are still good. I don't think they've been there more thana year, and each one was in a total of one cellophane wrapper and 3 zip-lock storage bags. Do you think they can be salvaged? Should I put them in a humidor after I pick one up and leave them for a couple months or what?

Thanks in advance.

The cigars are salvagable. They certainly need to be place in a more controlled environment. Take them out and toss them in a Tupperdor and let them sit for a few weeks and they should be fine.

Hope this helps you brother.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Blog Entries

grand cru no 2,

I'm moving down to San Antonio in a month. You have any recommened Cigar shops? The only one I know of is at the mall, although I can't remember the mall I was at.

5. Default

The only thing I disagree with Ray on is the cutter issue. A cheap cutter usually means a bad clip which can spoil the cigar experence.

I use a Bic lighter...very cheap.

Blog Entries

Putting cigars in the refrigerator is one of the best ways there is to ruin a cigar. The Relative humidity inside a refrigerator is pretty darn low. Now granted, you said the cigars were in zip-lock bags but if those cigars were in the refirgerator for any great lenght of time, I'd bet they're ruined by now.

Hmmmmm, Cohiba, Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta, JACKPOT!!! You just named the three most faked Cuban cigars in the world. Do you know where you father got these cigars? Like when he was on a cruise or something?

So okay, you can try and "salvage" them but I wouldn't bother because if you go through all that trouble then smoke them, odds are you'll be smoking fake Cuban cigars that have lost all their necessary oils, they'll taste like crap and you'll think Cuban cigars aren't all they're hyped up to be.

Go with a tupperware humidor or look on eBay for deals. Lots of people who have outgrown their humidors put them up on eBay where you can get them for pennies on the dollar.

Inexpensive brands?
    El Rey del Mundo
    Hoyo de Monterrey
    Excalibur
    Oliva "O" Bold
    Arturo Fuente Flor Fina 8-5-8
    Onyx
    La Gloria Cubana
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Hmmmmm, Cohiba, Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta, JACKPOT!!! You just named the three most faked Cuban cigars in the world. Do you know where you father got these cigars? Like when he was on a cruise or something?
    OMG, this is such a true statement! I have loved RyJs for a while and have smoked the good ones (Cubans and Dominican) and have had the fakes (last time was in Turkey). Just be careful were you get them. Even in Equador, there was a shop selling fake Cuban RYJ and Quinteros.

Lopaka

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    Thanks guys, I'll look into some of those. And I'm not positive where exactly these came from, but he said a buddy of his who works in a tobacco shop in Chicago gave them to him to repay a favor he owed after returning from a trip to the caribbean. So I guess I don't know who authentic they really are.

Blog Entries

If they are true Cubans and you have never smoked a good Cuban before, you'll know. If they are still good. Really good Cubans (when you are not use to them) can litarly kick your ass. I've watch people just have to sit down after starting to smoke a cuban, they can be that powerful. However, each Cigar is unique. The "high/buzz" you get from a true Cuban is unique. Just saying, if they are true Cuban's you'll be able to tell the difference.

Just something to note- Cubans are not the only ones that can knock you on your ass, some really sweet DR's, like the Romeo y Julieta Reserve Maduros, can kick your ass also.

Ok, now I need to smoke...damn it!

Default [URL=http://www.humidorsat.com]Click Here[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka
    grand cru no 2,

I'm moving down to San Antonio in a month. You have any recommened Cigar shops? The only one I know of is at the mall, although I can't remember the mall I was at.
    The only one I frequent is The Humidor in Alamo Plaza. They have another location on San Pedro.

Click Here

Shoot me a pm after you're settled in and we'll get together for a smoke brother.

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

Blog Entries

Sweet, I'll have to look for that place. Finally got the wife convinced to allow me to smoke without hearing the old "You shouldn't smoke, Cigars" Took 4 years.

Now I can get a Humidor and start my collection. I already know where to look for some nice suggestions...

I'll PM when I get to SA and look forward to smoke

Okay, here's is a list I compiled of the cigars from my first post. I don't know much of anything about the different brands etc, and just recorded some data on the label and it seems most of them are from the Dominican Republic, but some may actually be ISOMs.

Waste Management - Dominican

La Fuente Grand Reserva 2x

Romeo Y Julieta Medalas de Oro

Montesino 4x

Mendez Lopez - Dominican 2x

Colorado by Don Lino

Partagas Cifuentes Y Cia

Bolivar

Nat Sherman

Montecristo #4 3x

La Fontana

Cuesta Rey #95 - Domnican

Padron

St Luis Rey

Cohiba - Dominican

Padron Aviversario Serie 1964

Cubita

No Label - 8 inches, 50+gauge 3x

Cohiba - Cuba 2x

So, any comments on any of these? Such as where the manufacturer is located or any past experiences with them? They feel and look a little dry, I hope to get them in a Humi ASAP so they may be saved.

The only advice I can offer is something I've experienced being relatively new to cigars myself. If you shop for a humidor at a local tobacconist you will do yourself a favor even if the price is higher than an online distributor. Your local tobacconist is a man trying to make a living by purveying a fine commodity to a customer he can only hope to make loyal. By purchasing a modest humidor from him for $50 to $150 you will let hime know that you're willing to spend money on a fine products and he will respect that and try to retain your business. Most every tobacconist I've been to has pitched in a freebee or two after I start a conversation and lay down some money. Whether it's on a humi or on a box of smokes or sometimes even when picking just up a few sticks. In my three years of experience, I've never paid for a cutter (which is something I lose frequently) but I have spent enough dough there to satisfy the shop owner's needs.

In short, if you take care of your tobacconist he will take care of you. Enjoy!

By the way,
    The smokes that my local guy recommended to me when I started were Baccarats (sp?)

They are not on par with a cohiba by any means but are cheap enough and have good consistent flavor. They are very mild and are friendly enough to the palate to be enjoyed by whomever you gift one to.

Default Waste Management Cigars?

Wha???? Must be a private label.

Would I want to be seen smoking a WM Cigar?

LOL, someone actually called Cigar Dave last week and mentioned that he found his first cigar (recently) in a trashcan and LOVED IT. The guy wanted to get advice on other types of cigars.. and first thing dave said was "What in the hell are you doing smoking a fine cigar thats been in the trash.." so funny. Oh well..

Thread Information