Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ordering Cigars from the Internet.

Thumbs down Ordering Cigars from the Internet.

Well I guess in hot and humid climates you take your chances ordering cigars online. As I posted in another thread, I ordered both Camacho Corojo and La Gloria Cubana Series R #7 from cigarbid. They came in ziploc bags, well packed, but with no humidification device and the things were hot as So I put them in the humidor and had my first one today, about 5-7 days later.

It was dry and tasteless and the damn things wrapper cracked as soon as I lit up. So of course I started to say
    being totally disgusted. I don't think I'll be ordering any more cigars online unless I move somewhere more temperate.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Well I guess in hot and humid climates you take your chances ordering cigars online. As I posted in another thread, I ordered both Camacho Corojo and La Gloria Cubana Series R #7 from cigarbid. They came in ziploc bags, well packed, but with no humidification device and the things were hot as So I put them in the humidor and had my first one today, about 5-7 days later.

It was dry and tasteless and the damn things wrapper cracked as soon as I lit up. So of course I started to say
    being totally disgusted. I don't think I'll be ordering any more cigars online unless I move somewhere more temperate.
    that stinks i got about two hundred dollars worth coming,thanls for the bummer on friday
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Default Chin up......

what you must remember is that the shops around you have them shipped too.

I often cringe at ordering cigars during the summer. But the shops around me have them sent to them the same way I would receive them by UPS.

On my last trip to FLA visiting friends I stopped at a favorite shop that carries Torano and bought a box of 1859 Silver Gran Churchills later that day they had to sit in a closed up car for two hours in Florida heat. That night aftyer arriving home in New England I lit one up to find that the heat had affected them. After a one week rest in the humidor they are much better, two weeks even more so. Are they as good as non-heated? I don't think so, but close.

Ask your local shops what they think about cigars being exposed to heat. Ya know, I'm starting a new thread with that question!!!

The next time down to FLA I will remember to bring my cigars indoors with me while traveling!

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    what you must remember is that the shops around you have them shipped too.

I often cringe at ordering cigars during the summer. But the shops around me have them sent to them the same way I would receive them by UPS.

On my last trip to FLA visiting friends I stopped at a favorite shop that carries Torano and bought a box of 1859 Silver Gran Churchills later that day they had to sit in a closed up car for two hours in Florida heat. That night aftyer arriving home in New England I lit one up to find that the heat had affected them. After a one week rest in the humidor they are much better, two weeks even more so. Are they as good as non-heated? I don't think so, but close.

Ask your local shops what they think about cigars being exposed to heat. Ya know, I'm starting a new thread with that question!!!

The next time down to FLA I will remember to bring my cigars indoors with me while traveling!
    good point mm
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

Ok MMAB, after reading your post I am going to let them rest in the humidor (damn I need another one, this one is constantly full!) for a few weeks or so and try one again. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Ok MMAB, after reading your post I am going to let them rest in the humidor (damn I need another one, this one is constantly full!) for a few weeks or so and try one again. Thanks!
    yeh,im with cnb,that evil cbid can fill a humi pretty fast
    -Winston Churchill

reaganyouth84 Guest

I know here in East TN the humidity is CRAZY!!! My friends that have humis are going nuts right now, because it is so hard to keep up with in humid weather. I've heard of big shops here in the south having the same problems. I know I was in South Carolina last week and bought a few cigars. By the time I smoked the last one, I could tell the weather had affected it. Damn summer time!!! I'm ready for fall/winter, enough of this 115 degree shit with 90% humidity.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by reaganyouth84
    I'm ready for fall/winter, enough of this 115 degree shit with 90% humidity.
    -Mike

AMEN!!

I keep my humidor on the bottom shelf of the endtable in the living room. I find that it is much cooler down near the floor. The heat and humidity has been pretty intense here in WI too. Since I have my own place now and have to pay the bills, I have only used the A/C for about a week out of the whole summer. I am never home during the day and I leave the windows open, luckily we live in a small town where there are not too many problems. I even leave my patio door open sometimes. I just leave a fan in the window of the living room to keep the temp. down in there. Leaving the humi on or near the floor, I have found keeps it at a nice 70-75 degrees. Also, the needle has not moved off the 68% humidity mark, so that works great for me!

Cbid shipped my stuff by DHL. I know their vans are AC'd but not sure about the warehouse. UPS does have a refrigerated warehouse for medical stuff. I'm not sure if this would work but you could ask your online retailers to mark the box as perishable and that it should be kept refrigerated.

I have to say that living in the UK has its advantages.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    Cbid shipped my stuff by DHL. I know their vans are AC'd but not sure about the warehouse. UPS does have a refrigerated warehouse for medical stuff. I'm not sure if this would work but you could ask your online retailers to mark the box as perishable and that it should be kept refrigerated.
    That is a really good idea! I know the UPS driver who picks up here at the office pretty well. I'll ask him if they would actually keep them refrigerated if you mark them perishable. Who knows if they really would or not! He did tell me to never mark a box fragile, because then there is always the dumbass who really doesn't care if he keeps his job who decides to see how far he can drop kick the box. I will talk to him about the perishable thing when I see him tomorrow.

Blog Entries

I've got a couple of orders from CBID myself. You got to remember when your ordering from places like CBID that you are buying from a bottom line/budget retailer. Many of the cigars you are ordering have been bought at close out from distributors that want to get rid of stock ASAP. The cigars have probably not been taken care of at optimal conditions for some time. The cigars I bought from CBID needed some major rest time. I smoked a Don Juan the day after I got it that was simply horrible. A month later I smoked a second one and it was pretty darn good comparably speaking.

As far as shipping goes, I ship all my orders from www.caminoviejo.com (my online retail store) via USPS Priority mail and never had a problem (this happens to be one of the preferred methods of shipping for many box passes and trades). I have been in business for over a year and never had a quality complaint.

That being said, you should ALWAYS let your cigars rest in your humidor for at least a few days after getting them shipped before passing judgment.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

I have noticed that cigars that I buy online need to rest in the humi for at least a week and two is even better. Here lately with the heat as bad as it is even the cigars that I buy from my local store need to rest for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    I've got a couple of orders from CBID myself. You got to remember when your ordering from places like CBID that you are buying from a bottom line/budget retailer. Many of the cigars you are ordering have been bought at close out from distributors that want to get rid of stock ASAP. The cigars have probably not been taken care of at optimal conditions for some time. The cigars I bought from CBID needed some major rest time. I smoked a Don Juan the day after I got it that was simply horrible. A month later I smoked a second one and it was pretty darn good comparably speaking.

As far as shipping goes, I ship all my orders from www.caminoviejo.com (my online retail store) via USPS Priority mail and never had a problem (this happens to be one of the preferred methods of shipping for many box passes and trades). I have been in business for over a year and never had a quality complaint.

That being said, you should ALWAYS let your cigars rest in your humidor for at least a few days after getting them shipped before passing judgment.

That seems to be the consensus so as I am still a proto-noob, I will take all of your sage advice and let my sticks I get online rest at least a week in my properly maintained humidor before I try them.

If Cigars are shipped by Priority Mail there should be no problem. All Cigars received should rest for a few days before smoking.
    Keep in mind the fact that rapid changes in humidity and temperature will cause Cigars to "crack".
    When I am driving from our shop in Miami to my home in Virginia Beach, Va my Cigars are carried in an Igloo Cooler, which has an Aquafoam foam humidifier filled with 50/50. I never have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by opie
    If Cigars are shipped by Priority Mail there should be no problem. All Cigars received should rest for a few days before smoking.
    Keep in mind the fact that rapid changes in humidity and temperature will cause Cigars to "crack".
    When I am driving from our shop in Miami to my home in Virginia Beach, Va my Cigars are carried in an Igloo Cooler, which has an Aquafoam foam humidifier filled with 50/50. I never have a problem.
    I am going to be in Naples, FL next month. I was thinking about taking a trip down 75 to Miami. Where is the shop??

OK I let the cigars I ordered online rest another two weeks and they are still dry, tasteless and burn way too fast. Not my regular experience with these two cigars. Could be that the cigars themselves were flawed for some reason that had nothing to do with shipping. Still, it still sours me on ordering on the internet.

I think your problem was the shipping time. My first order from cbid left their shop late weds. like 11 pm or something and I got them Friday before 9. They have all been fine. I did order some of the "slow aged" allegedly perdomo's (see daily smoke) and they took 5 days and totally suck.

Get this.. In the same order with the slow aged were two, yes two of the humidity gel jars, both activated. Did they use them for the slow aged you ask? No. I can't believe it, they ship my cigars with two pre-activated humidity jars and tightly and separately wrap both.

I'm not sure these guy no what their doing. I don't care if they are cigar international and have a store front biz. I'm starting to think there a bunch of boobs.

Default OK, I still want to know.......

what the situation is when a dealer has cigars shipped to them.

They receive them the same way we do. Generally by UPS. By the same trucks, the same routes, etc.

Lets go further. How are cigars shipped from the Dominican Republic, Honduras, Jamaica? I mean it's DAMNED hot down there.

Do huge shipments of cigars sit out on loading docks in the sun? Or in the steamy hold of a cargo ship or worse yet out on deck in a sealed container IN THE SUN?

I know there are a few dealers out there on this board. What's up guys? Is this whole "cigars exposed to heat" thing just a moot point???

Thread Information