Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any knifesmiths around here?

Default Any knifesmiths around here?

I'm by no means an expert. But every now and then my son and I like to play around in the shop. Here are a few pics.

Blog Entries

That is really cool. My buddy has a forge that him and his son mess around with. He got some big multitool wet grinding machine they are going to use.

I don't knifesmith...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I have a coworker who dabbles occasionally. We've discussed many times the idea of utilizing medieval black smithing techniques to create knives or swords. He'd the guru, I just appreciate the hobby.

I see a few interested to keep it going here is another pick. I don't have a lot of time tonight but I will work on some more this weekend if I can.

Blog Entries

That is very cool. Do you just keep what you make or do you sell them?

Neat stuff. Thanks for sharing. I do appreciate knives but actual knifesmithing (?) is about the furthest of my capabilities.

Blog Entries

My wife has some kick a$$ fancy kitchen knives (Henckles) and some others for sacrificing goats (right George). Sorry S.A.W.B. I'm clueless when it comes to knives so I'm of no help to you.

The paint started falling off of her fancy German Henckels kitchen shears she bought 40 years ago and they are no longer available in the US, they're only sold in Germany or Austria. I contacted Wurm over on Snobs and he's getting them for us, gotta love internet BBs where ya wind up with friends all over the world.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 10-04-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Nice looking pieces. I know nothing about knifesmithing.

Blog Entries

A little different than knifesmithing, my wife is a knife hoarder. She scares the shit out of me.

S.A.W.B. - What is your preferred method for getting a good edge?

11. Default

Seriously into knives...Got a collection of way too many. I can put you on to a knive forum via pm if interested. Lots of serious guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    Seriously into knives...Got a collection of way too many. I can put you on to a knive forum via pm if interested. Lots of serious guys there.
    Sure I'll check out your suggested forum.

Thanks Cigarsarge.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    That is very cool. Do you just keep what you make or do you sell them?
    Kingbeefy I have sold several in the past but I like to keep them or give them away as gifts. People don't understand just how many hours go into forging a knife like the last one I posted. That one is 300 layer damascus. I'll post some pics of it being forged.

Here are some pics of the knife I posted with the antler handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    S.A.W.B. - What is your preferred method for getting a good edge?
    I use stones only. It takes longer but it gives a better end result.

Blog Entries

Nice work! I've hurt myself sweeping up the wood shop, so, that's completely out of my league.

17. Default

If you ever decide to make one to sell I really would like to get up with you. I need another knife like I need to be deathly ill. I can't help it. My newest one below.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    If you ever decide to make one to sell I really would like to get up with you. I need another knife like I need to be deathly ill. I can't help it. My newest one below.
    I'll keep it in mind. Shop time is far and few now days.

Quote Originally Posted by S.A.W.B. View Post
    Kingbeefy I have sold several in the past but I like to keep them or give them away as gifts. People don't understand just how many hours go into forging a knife like the last one I posted. That one is 300 layer damascus. I'll post some pics of it being forged.
    Damn, that's a lovely Damascus blade. While I've never made a knife, I have a very good idea how much work goes into one.

I have a rather large fascination for weapons of any kind but I've always especially loved cold steel. I'm a wizard with a knife and I field dressed an elk by myself last year in about 15 minutes start to finish. I've worked in slaughter houses in the past and have spent a lifetime fileting fish too. I've just always loved the feel of a good knife in my hand.

I love that Damascus blade. Like Sarge I'd love one of yours if you ever get the time/inclination to make me one. I'd prefer Damascus steel and am looking for a good hunting knife with a 4" to 5" blade and a straight handle. Most of the stuff I look at in the stores these days have "formed" handles which are completely upside down for my uses. When field dressing I'm holding it with the sharp edge up so I need a nice handle that isn't formed so it fits either way (sharp edge up or down). The formed ones are all made for sharp edge down. Obviously the mfg's have never gutted a deer, elk or moose........lol.

In fact, now that I look at your Damascus I wonder, is the tang on it straight or curved like the antler? If it's straight, a guy could remove the handle that's on it and replace it with a straight piece that fits comfy either sharp edge up or down.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Damn, that's a lovely Damascus blade. While I've never made a knife, I have a very good idea how much work goes into one.

I have a rather large fascination for weapons of any kind but I've always especially loved cold steel. I'm a wizard with a knife and I field dressed an elk by myself last year in about 15 minutes start to finish. I've worked in slaughter houses in the past and have spent a lifetime fileting fish too. I've just always loved the feel of a good knife in my hand.

I love that Damascus blade. Like Sarge I'd love one of yours if you ever get the time/inclination to make me one. I'd prefer Damascus steel and am looking for a good hunting knife with a 4" to 5" blade and a straight handle. Most of the stuff I look at in the stores these days have "formed" handles which are completely upside down for my uses. When field dressing I'm holding it with the sharp edge up so I need a nice handle that isn't formed so it fits either way (sharp edge up or down). The formed ones are all made for sharp edge down. Obviously the mfg's have never gutted a deer, elk or moose........lol.

In fact, now that I look at your Damascus I wonder, is the tang on it straight or curved like the antler? If it's straight, a guy could remove the handle that's on it and replace it with a straight piece that fits comfy either sharp edge up or down.
    Thank for all the compliments I'm with you on the skinning knife handle. I'm a bow hunter myself so I know where you are coming from. Like I said shop time is rare now days but that doesn't mean there may not be something in the future for trade. I'll add you to the list with Cigarsarge.

Thread Information