Thread: humidor is warped

1. Question humidor is warped

I have recently become a cigar newbie and have purchased a new humidor online about 1 month ago. I started to season the humidor but had problems with the humidity being to high at about 80%. I kept drying it out a little. But I have noticed that the bottom of the humidor is no longer flat. Its a tiny curved. Will this warp affect my humidor? Perhaps the humidor is of cheap construction. Im not sure. Any ideas if this is bad?

Thanks

Rich

Welcome to the boards rich, a lot of knowledgeable folk here and a lot of good folk too. I'd say a warped humidor is not a good thing because it can effect how the humidor seals (how air tight it is). Two comments then as relates to your post: 1) see if you can return the humidor, since humidors should be made with treated wood and humidity even 80% shouldn't effect them, and 2) your humidor might be at 80% because of where it is in your house. It is summer, and so the best bet is to keep your humi in the basement or if you do not have a basement, the coolest place in your abode. This will help with both humidity and heat. Best of luck, and oh yeah, go to http://www.heartfeltindustries.com and buy a bag of 65% humidity beads, they work better than anything else.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I agree with BigMacFu, see if you can return the humi. Even if it was at 100% humidity and 90 degrees, it should not have warped that quickly. That tells me that either the company gave you a used humi or they got a few years ago and it sat it a storage locker or some other uncontrolled environment for a while before it was shipped to you. If the company has any type of credibility or class, they should gladly take it back and replace it with one of a better quality. Call them, and explain the problem...be nice about it and you should get far. If you don't get anywhere being nice, then it is time to do a little ass whipping and create a post on here and let everyone know where not to buy anything.

4. Default

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it is a good humidor and perhaps i didn't let the humidifier dry out enough and then it dripped some water. Right now it is holding 70% on the hygrometer so I am going to see. I hope I don;t have to return the humidor. I closed it and put my laptop on the lid......hope this will flatten out on the bottom...sigh....perhaps it is folly but if the humidity holds and there is no sign of cracking or severe drop in humidity then I presume it will be okay?

Current stock:

1 Cohiba from the island south of Florida
    2 Montecristos from ditto
    1 Romeo y Julieta from cuba

1 punch gran puro
    1 casa blanca reserve
    1 arturo fuente gran reserva
    1 Olivia Grand Maduro
    1 H Upmann

Ya you should be fine, and welcome to the board!!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Question

I am also new here and I bought a humidor off of Ebay (I know that was not the best idea).It has a clear top and the humidity level wont go below 80%.I need help.

I got my humidor off ebay and it is great. I'd suggest you buy some beads from http://www.heartfeltindustries.com

Get the 65% humidity beads. Also, move your humidor to the lowest level of your house and keep it away from sunlight.

Finally, search the forum with keywords like "Humidity Problems" and stuff like that and you'll probably find the answers in those search results.

BTW, Welcome to the board!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

toledo,ohio 1440 royalton toledo oh 43612

[QUOTE=marioman]I am also new here and I bought a humidor off of Ebay (I know that was not the best idea).It has a clear top and the humidity level wont go below 80%.I need help
    I was having problems wih high humidity also,take BigMacs advice ,since i've gotten my humidity beads ,haven't ha done problem
    I drink a great deal.I sleep a little,and i smoke cigar after cigar.That is why i am in two-hundred percent form
    -Winston Churchill

9. Default

Marioman:

I love the clear top humis, too ... but you HAVE to keep them out of any direct sunlight. Mine's in my office, and I have to toss a coat on top of it whenever the sun shines in the window. If you let the sun in, the humidity (not to mention the temperature) will go through the roof and you may ruin some stogies.

Nice tobe able to admire your sticks, but my next humi won't have a clear top, as much as I like the look.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    Welcome to the boards rich, a lot of knowledgeable folk here and a lot of good folk too. I'd say a warped humidor is not a good thing because it can effect how the humidor seals (how air tight it is). Two comments then as relates to your post: 1) see if you can return the humidor, since humidors should be made with treated wood and humidity even 80% shouldn't effect them, and 2) your humidor might be at 80% because of where it is in your house. It is summer, and so the best bet is to keep your humi in the basement or if you do not have a basement, the coolest place in your abode. This will help with both humidity and heat. Best of luck, and oh yeah, go to http://www.heartfeltindustries.com and buy a bag of 65% humidity beads, they work better than anything else.
    The knowledgable ones aren't always good?!?

The beads are great - they come in 65 or 70 rh. Welcome onceaweek and marioman.
    Last edited by basil; 09-13-2005 at 03:43 PM. Reason: add text
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

If you have an analog hydrometer don't forget to calibrate it. Search "salt test"

Thread Information