Thread: Humidity Lessons Learned

Default Humidity Lessons Learned

I wanna thank yous guys for all the chat 'bout humidity. It's really helped me a lot. Based on what I've been reading, I won't freak out again because my coolador hits 60%. Besides, I just ordered 65% humidity beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com to make my life easy.
    VernBob
    "Life is a vacation from your real job. Act accordingly."

Default Speaking of BEADS

I was cruising around the internet the other day and I stumbled upon a little tidbit of info that I though was amusing and usefull!

I had done a search for the Climaxx beads (sounds like a sex toy) and I came upon another board somewhere and one of the guys mentioned using Silica Gel based kitty litter as a substitute.

WELL! It turns out that there are a few brands of "expensive" kitty litter brands out there that are composed of straight silica gel!!! I was never aware of these since our cat is an outdoor cat.

From what I understand, Climaxx beads is merely "conditioned" silica gel. My main concern is controlling high humidity in the summer months. Silica gel is an adsorbent, which will take moisture out of the air. These few brands of kitty litter are merely the same stuff!

So I went out and bought a four pound bag of Ultra Pearls kitty litter. It's pure silica gel beads!!! I paid 9.99 for it. I put about three cups in my cabinet humi, in a small tray and by morning the high rh was under control! Not amazing BUT INEXPENSIVE!!!!

I also understand that you can condition this stuff yourself, making your own Climaxx beads! I'm still investigating that end of it but it seems very simple.

If you do go out and buy any of this stuff beware that many brands have additives and fragraces that YOU DO NOT want in your humidor!!

Read the label to see if it is pure silica. Again, the brand I bought is "Ultra Pearls". If you see any colored beads or crystals don't buy it. That's usually fragrance crystals. Of course upon opening the bag , if you smell anything don't use it!

No, our cat has no urge to pee in my humidor!

Blog Entries

Interesting. I would be very curious to see if you can condition these your self. It gets rather expensive buying pounds of beads at a time for cabinet humidors.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

So far all I can find on conditioning these is to mist them with water, let it absorb, then stir it around. repeat until they maintain the RH in their container at whatever you want. Does this sound right? Anybody got a link to more detailed instructions? I found this on a site about preserving art in museums.

Van55 has written extensively about this subject over at CigarWise.com.

There is a "sticky"/ pinned thread in the Cigar Education forum which has all the information:

http://www.cigarwise.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10823

It is worth registering!

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Default Thanks Hugh!

That's basically all the info I could find on another board.

Place the litter in a container ( 1 pound per 5 cubic feet of humidor ) with a small bowl of water and a hygro. When the rh reaches the desired rh%, maintain that for 2 weeks and the crystals are done. I guess they actually retain a memory (?).

When rh begins to drop below 65% it's time to recondition them.

Simple. Cheap. I love it!

PLUS! Thanks again Hugh! Now I'm a member of Cigar WIse!

Cheers for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by VernBob
    I wanna thank yous guys for all the chat 'bout humidity. It's really helped me a lot. Based on what I've been reading, I won't freak out again because my coolador hits 60%. Besides, I just ordered 65% humidity beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com to make my life easy.

hey vernbob

i have also just purchased the 70% beads from heartfelt. how long after i place the tube in the humidor will it take effect.. a day or so?
    Last edited by jayrob33; 09-20-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayrob33
    hey vernbob

i have also just purchased the 70% beads from heartfelt. how long after i place the tube in the humidor will it take effect.. a day or so?

See post #13 of this link - a good summary of function of a humidor.

It's difficult to say how long before a humidifying system will "take effect." Search, either on this board or online to find simple steps to prep your humi. This conditioning can take from a couple of days (in humid climates) to a few weeks (dry climes), dependent of course on where you live. Placing any humi system in a dry box is usually not a good way to get it ready for cigars. Good luck.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Thread Information