Thread: Buy a Digital Hygrometer, Forget Analog

1. Default Buy a Digital Hygrometer, Forget Analog

To all newbies, :)

Take the advice of the members here and buy a digital hygrometer :).

I finally got my humidor setup and the biggest PIA was calibrating that stupid analog hygrometer! I will say that I was pretty stoked when I ran it through the salt test a second time and it read the same exact reading it did the first time.

I probably wasted a lot of time doing this, but it was still an interesting learning experience. My humidor is at a stable 70% and will be getting fed some stoagies shortly

I'm sure you can expect a post in the near future about questions regarding purchasing a coolidor and beads for it.

Have a good remainder of the weekend everyone.

Default I Agree

My Little Havana is cigar shaped, and nestles nicely amongst my stoagies. Now that I know it's accurate, it gives peace of mind.

But, I kept my analog in its place on the lid of my humidor; partly as a double-check (they're close in their readings), but more importantly because it looks good. Can't forget the details of style....

Can you recommend some good digitals? Or are they all about the same?

Just because its digital doesnt mean its accurate and doesnt need calbrating.

bigpoppapuff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA5
    Can you recommend some good digitals? Or are they all about the same?

for the money,the digital from buddy products/don salvatore is the best...

I got this one, made by Little Havana. It sits nicely atop my cigars in the humidor, and correlates with my other hygrometers.

The digital Don Salvatore I have is a similar price, is square (maybe attach it to the lid?) and seemed to be "off" for a day or two when I first got it. It's now happier.

I also noticed that Walmart has small, square hygrometers for under ten bucks, which might be OK for a coolidor. (I also bought my Coleman cooler there for under $10).

I can't vouge for the reliability or accuracy of any of these, but right now all 3 of my hygrometers (2 digital and one analog) are in sync, so I'm done.

7. Default

FYI: After relying on analog hygrometers for years, I finally spent the money on a very nice digital unit for my humidor.

Guess what I found out?

The analog readout was accurate to within 1/10 of a %. Had it exactly right. All this time I've worried about whether I was in that stable 65-68% range (70% is a little wet for me), and it turns out it was dead on.

Just something to consider before you worry about it too much.

Thread Information