Thread: softness of cigar

Default softness of cigar

hey everyone,

i was just wondering how soft a cigar should be at 70% humidity. if you take one out of your humidor and gently squeeze it on the ends, does it feel like a sponge?? i have noticeds that sometimes when i gently squeeze mine, that it will make a cracking sound on the end that you smoke from?? is this okay or are my cigars dried out??/ also, when smoking, sometimes, they will begin to unwrap..

Squeezing the cigar shows the quality of the wrap. If your cigars feel like a sponge when you squeeze them, they are poor quality cigars that are wrapped to loose. You want a cigar that you can squeeze lightly and you can feel some firmness, but, it also gives a liitle and then returns to its origional shape. You don't want it so firm that you cannot squeeze it all becuase most likely you will have a hard time drawing off it.

Out of curiosity, what cigars do you have this issue with??

Default Not to shoot any holes in Jonsey's reply, but.....

the "loose cigar" thing is a variable.

Some cigars may be packed more than others, others less. This is one of many ways to affect a cigar's burn and flavor.

Now when I say loose, that's difficult to explain here in print. You'll see as you smoke more and more and can compare the major brands.

Granted a quality cigar shouldn't be "squishy". Some give or squeezability is normal. We are dealing with a leafy, organic material here! It will vary from brand to brand and type to type.

The only thing one could tell from GENTLY squeezing a cigar is uniformity. However, I don't recommend squeezing your cigars. You risk cracking the wrapper.

The crackling sound bit is a myth. ANY cigar will make that sound when gently squeezed and rolled between your thumb and finger, but yes a DRY cigar will do it much more. It's a poor way to judge a cigar's rh.

So, IMO, there's no way to tell you how soft any given cigar should be at 70%rh. I wouldn't sweat it as long as your rh% is under control.

My two cents
    Last edited by MMAB; 09-21-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Blog Entries

Another thing you want to remember is consistency through out the length of the cigar. You want to feel the same "give" (for lack of a better term) from end to end (granted some torpedo's will obviously be much different towards the pointed end).

If you feel a tight spot in the middle of the cigar this can be indicative of a "knot" which will affect the draw until you get through it.

You also want to check for sections which are looser then the rest of the cigar. A looser section will burn faster and hotter then the rest of the smoke.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Hehe the owners at my local B&M call that "finger-fucking" when people manhandle cigars in the humidor - they get pretty pissed off when they see people finger-fucking their sticks.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information