Thread: Avalon-Masters - Honeyboy Edwards 5 x 50

Default Avalon-Masters - Honeyboy Edwards 5 x 50

I am not that great at reviews. Initial foot and wrapper sniffing had a nice sweet tobacco smell. Not as sweet as lets say a J. Fuego Maduro wrapper but a nice warm tobacco smell. well built, wrapper looks "rugged" but not bad in any way.

Clipped nicely, prelight draw was good to slightly loose, nice flavor with a twist...unsure of what it was.

Light was easy, for sure no harshness and a nice "flower bouquet" is one of the scents I picked up. Beyond that it had a nice "sweetness" that coated my mouth(similar to the sweetness that alot of my favorite cigars give me(J. Fuego maduro/natural, Gurkha Shaggy churchill, PAM 64's etc...) I did notice, it could have just been me but I swear I picked up some of that pecan on the exhales...

Burn was nice and even through out. It did make that slight protruding cone on the end(I don't mind that, some do).

It was a good cigar, nothing that blew my mind or wow'd me byond belief but I enjoyed it and nubbed it. It did have a very different characteristic which while not mind blowing will keep me wanting more until I can figure it out. There is something about this cigar that is captivating. I forgot to mention but definitely it seemed like a medium strength cigar.

Nice Review!
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Default Same Cigar, Same Day, Same result

My experience is pretty much the same. Here is a short review of my experience

I picked an Avalon on purpose, with everyone begining to review these from the pass, I felt it was time. The Construction was firm yet slightly soft and forgiving, a few small veins, a nice lookin stick IMO. Pre light aroma reminded me of vintage leather. I clipped it without missing a beat. Pre light draw was easy, smooth and made me think of earthly sweetness. I lit the cigar with a wooden match at 9:15pm, and it burned even all the way through. It had nice clean thick smoke. Draw through out the smoke was almost effortless at times, which I enjoyed very much. I forced ashed about halfway through just to not end up with a lap full of ash. I got a nicotine kick about halfway in, nothing too severe, but made me slow things down a bit. The only thing bad I would say is even once I slowed things down, it still burned hot, I guess it is a trade off for the loose draw. Overall, I liked this stick very much, the last week or two have been really busy for me work and personally, so this was the first time in too long I gave myself a chance to sit down and relax and smoke, I am happy with my choice.

Blog Entries

Default Same cigar-Different Day

Smoked this puppy while I was on vacation. Pre-light aroma was simple tobacco, nothing out of the ordinary. Construction was good, no soft spots detected and I agree with the "rugged" appearance guado mentioned. Cut and light were not a problem, but the draw was quite a bit looser than I like. The burn started off o.k., but worked to uneven pretty quickly, within the first 1/2 inch or so. I slowed down to try to give it time to self-correct...but sadly, no go, so I touched it up at about 1" in and all was well from there. The ash was a dirty gray color and held on well, no flaking that I observed. The flavor was nice, earthy tobacco with the slightest hint of sweetness. I would put this at med strength, I smoked it very early in the morning with only a couple of do-nuts to eat and had no problems with the nic strength. All in all a solid smoke. I was able to nub it, but I had to significantly reduce my draw frequency during the last 1/3 or it just simply got too hot to draw.....but once I slowed down it was fine.

I smoked all of mine in the last couple of days. I really liked two out of the three. Honeyboy was tasty. I had the same experience as the rest of you. There was this interesting sweetness and a pecan flavor. Very interesting. I would like to have more of these.

I'll post all my reviews when I find the note book I wrote it down in.

Just finished smoking one of these. Overall, very enjoyable. I nubbed it.
    Predraw was nice and loose with a sweet earthy tatse. I usually can't notice it, but the smoke smelled very nice from this cigar. Draw and burn were near perfect and the cigar tasted nice and sweet with a distinct flavour which probably came from the pecan aging. It became a little hot in the last inch or so, which actually felt nice on my fingers since its cold out and they were becoming numb. It had a short, woody finish and left my tongue a bit tingly. I found it full bodied, and got a little head buzz from it.

Yeah, all in all I thought those where pretty good. I'd like to try more if I can find them.

Thread Information