Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Review These - Reviews

Bump - Finally got to the second cigar.

Cigar #1

A beautifull toro the color of dark chocolate. The cap looked a bit rough. The smell was ok but not spectacular. Construction looked qute good.

The cut was almost effortless and the wrapper stayed perfectly intact. Pre light draw was a bit tight but no signs of the cigar being plugged.

It took nicelly to the light and a pleasant aroma hit my nostrils. Started out with very smooth and creamy smoke full of chocolaty notes and some leathery undertones. This continued for about half of the stick and the rest was just as pleasant with a little spice showing up every once in a while. All throughout not even a note of harshness

Burn was also perfect with tight greyish white ash. The flavor started to disappear with about an inch or so left and I decided to let this one go out before my enjoyment would pass.

Overall a very nice experience and I think this was a 5 Vegas Serie A. At least I had a very similar experience with the last serie A that I had.

Review on # 2 to follow shortly ( hopefully sometime tom )

Good review Dan, I 'll let you know what it was after the second review.

Quote Originally Posted by WOXOF View Post
    Good review Dan, I 'll let you know what it was after the second review.
    Here is what you smoked: Stick 1 is a Padron 1964 and Stick 2 is a RP1992.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Cigars # 2

Also a toro sized cigar. This one had a beautifull brown wrapper ( perhaps corojo ) that was oily with almost indistinguishable veins. The aroma was exceptionally pleasant and i knew I would enjoy this one.

Cut it and lit it up quite easilly. The draw was perfect and I got hit with a taste of spices. The spice was not overwhelming like some cigars have but rather just enough and smoth as well. So every puff begged for another. Burn was perfect with tight ash.

There were also some cedary notes and someting else I can't quite put my finger on.

Overall an awesome experience

I loved both cigars and would love to have both in my regular rotation if the price is right.

If IU had topickbetween the 2 as far as price I would say that #2 is more expensive.

Well can't wait to find out what they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drew_goring View Post
    Here is what you smoked: Stick 1 is a Padron 1964 and Stick 2 is a RP1992.
    O.K., Now I officially feel stupid. Maybe the chilly(shitty) weather had something to do with it. Is it possible the Brazilias and Antanos have fried my taste buds? At least I picked which one was more expensive. That was my first Padron '64. I have another '64 and a R.P. Vintage '92 in the humi. I will have to have a do-over under more suitable conditions.

Sorry Paul, thanks for the wonderful smokes though.

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan View Post
    Cigar #1

A beautifull toro the color of dark chocolate. The cap looked a bit rough. The smell was ok but not spectacular. Construction looked qute good.

The cut was almost effortless and the wrapper stayed perfectly intact. Pre light draw was a bit tight but no signs of the cigar being plugged.

It took nicelly to the light and a pleasant aroma hit my nostrils. Started out with very smooth and creamy smoke full of chocolaty notes and some leathery undertones. This continued for about half of the stick and the rest was just as pleasant with a little spice showing up every once in a while. All throughout not even a note of harshness

Burn was also perfect with tight greyish white ash. The flavor started to disappear with about an inch or so left and I decided to let this one go out before my enjoyment would pass.

Overall a very nice experience and I think this was a 5 Vegas Serie A. At least I had a very similar experience with the last serie A that I had.

Review on # 2 to follow shortly ( hopefully sometime tom )
    Cigar #1 was a Gurkha Master Select Maduro. I paid $10 each for a couple of these at a local B&M a while back. They can be had for much less online.

Cigars # 2

Also a toro sized cigar. This one had a beautifull brown wrapper ( perhaps corojo ) that was oily with almost indistinguishable veins. The aroma was exceptionally pleasant and i knew I would enjoy this one.

Cut it and lit it up quite easilly. The draw was perfect and I got hit with a taste of spices. The spice was not overwhelming like some cigars have but rather just enough and smoth as well. So every puff begged for another. Burn was perfect with tight ash.

There were also some cedary notes and someting else I can't quite put my finger on.

Overall an awesome experience

I loved both cigars and would love to have both in my regular rotation if the price is right.

If IU had topickbetween the 2 as far as price I would say that #2 is more expensive.

Well can't wait to find out what they are !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cigar #2 was a Cubita SMS. I got a bundle of 20 of these from cbid for $30. A helluva deal imho.

Unlike my latest attempt, those were great reviews Dan. I would definately agree with you.

Ok now I feel really stupid

At least now I can pick up a Cubita SMS and make it my daily go to smoke for $30 a bundle

Hey St JOhn did you get a chance to smoke the sticks I sent you

Ok now I feel really stupid

At least now I can pick up a Cubita SMS and make it my daily go to smoke for $30 a bundle
    don't worry about it - I got 'em backwards too. It still blows me away that slsraiders nailed his - not one, but both, not only which was more expensive, but named the fucking sticks! sheesh.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    don't worry about it - I got 'em backwards too. It still blows me away that slsraiders nailed his - not one, but both, not only which was more expensive, but named the fucking sticks! sheesh.
    Pure luck. This was my third go round. On the first review pass, I managed to identify one of the cigars and which was more expensive. Round two, no recognition of the smokes and I think I got the more expensive part wrong as well. I amazed even myself with that last one. Maybe it was just those two cigars. I have smoked several of each and the hunch came so easily as I was smoking them. Bizarre, nonetheless. I say this because I could smoke the same type of cigar from the same box just at different times or with different surroundings and they can taste quite a bit different???

I think I will not do this pass going forward. I want to retire on top of my game...
    Last edited by slcraiders; 11-16-2006 at 07:35 PM. Reason: to add last sentence.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Dan, hell of a busy at the moment, but this is at the top of my todo list. If the weather is reasonable tomorrow I plan on going for a long walk with the dogs and smokin one of the monsters that you sent. Review soon.

Cheers

Stjohn

Hey St JOhn did you get a chance to smoke the sticks I sent you
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Finally got a chance to spark up one of these and I decided to start with stick #2.

Curchill like in size (7") but hard to determine the true ring guage do to a triangular cross section. Lovelly colarado wrapper with a matt finish and fairly evident veins.

Popped the cap with a double guilotine and the pre light draw was good, not to free, not to tough. Slightly dusty under the cap, but that was easily solved with moistening from the lips.

Took my time to get a nice healthy and even burn and then set off on a walk with the dogs.

Initially this cigar was a bit of a beast, dry and harsh. This lasted for the first inch or so, however as the stick warmed up a more pleasant body started showing through.

The first third mainly tobacco with an overtaste of liquorice, reminiscent of the Sancho Panza Double Maduro.

The second third added a nice mollasses flavor to the mix and the smoke became a lot more juicy.

The last third of this cigar settled into a nice leather and pepper combo.

For the most part an even burn, though about half way it started tunnelling but quickly recovered. Right at the end developed a major pair of antlers, but nothing bad enough to spoil the smoke.

Not a bad smoke for an hour and a half.

All in all, OK but I wouldnt travel far or pay much to smoke one.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Review These from StJohnRoe

These sticks arrived sometime last week while I was in Cuba, and my daughter opened the "package from the UK" per my instructions and laid it to rest in my coolidor. Last night things slowed down so I got a chance to smoke both, back to back with some time in between.

CIGAR # 1:

This was a very nicely constructed ciger, Petite Corona size (~ 4" X 40) with a medium brown wrapper that was very smooth & oily feeling with no prominent veins. The cap looked almost perfect and snipped off easily and cleanly with my Xikar revealing a very nice roll pattern. The pre-light draw was almost perfect with flavours reminding me of many of the cigars I smoked in Cuba last week.

It lit easily and initial impressions were a little harsh, but that's possibly because I wasn't expecting (or ready for) either the amount of smoke or the power in this little beast. . It settled down to a nice, strong, flavourful smoke after the first 1/2 inch or so.

The burn was a little wonky on this, but easily self-corrected. The ash was on the light side of med-gray with a little flaking but held it's shape very well.

1/2 way found the flavours of Cubans (cedar & leather) very prominent, but the strength seemed a little milder with still a wonderful amount of smoke for a cigar of this size.

Getting to the end, the strength picked up a bit again, but still a very smooth smoke. It started burning my lips so I let it go out. This smoke lasted 25 minutes.

Cigar # 2:

Another Petite Corona size, ~ 4-1/4" X 42 with a wrapper slightly darker then #1, and a little rougher with some veins showing. It also had one tiny white spot about 3/4" from the foot. This one also had a near perfect cap that snipped cleanly to once again reveal a nice roll pattern. The prelight draw on this one was tighter, but not to the point of being uncomfortable and also showed some "Cuban" flavour characteristics.

Lit easily, and with the tighter draw, I found it milder with less smoke. It showed a much cleaner burn than the other with no hint of even needing a correction. The ash was slightly darker, but smoother and firmer than #1.

At 1/2 way, it seemed like it was going to plug, but after a few more puffs, the draw settled out again. The flavours became more pronounced at this point and started to become a little stronger with more smoke. It strengthened close to being harsh by the end of the smoke. This stick lasted 35 minutes.

OVERALL:

Here's a picture of the nubs side by side with corresponding caps. #1 is on the left and this picture doesn't really give the slight colour difference justice.

Dare I say that I think both these cigers were Cuban in origin?? I thoroughly enjoyed both, but I have to say I enjoyed #1 more, mainly because I liked the draw better. Both had their good points, but I would have to give #1 a slightly higher mark. I don't know if I was sent two ISOMs to play with my skull or not, and maybe neither is Cuban, but I would buy either as a short smoke (depending on price, of course). In spite of my preference, I may have to say #2 may be the higher priced smoke.

So, what are they??

I can't wait!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
    These sticks arrived sometime last week while I was in Cuba, and my daughter opened the "package from the UK" per my instructions and laid it to rest in my coolidor. Last night things slowed down so I got a chance to smoke both, back to back with some time in between.

CIGAR # 1:

This was a very nicely constructed ciger, Petite Corona size (~ 4" X 40) with a medium brown wrapper that was very smooth & oily feeling with no prominent veins. The cap looked almost perfect and snipped off easily and cleanly with my Xikar revealing a very nice roll pattern. The pre-light draw was almost perfect with flavours reminding me of many of the cigars I smoked in Cuba last week.

It lit easily and initial impressions were a little harsh, but that's possibly because I wasn't expecting (or ready for) either the amount of smoke or the power in this little beast. . It settled down to a nice, strong, flavourful smoke after the first 1/2 inch or so.

The burn was a little wonky on this, but easily self-corrected. The ash was on the light side of med-gray with a little flaking but held it's shape very well.

1/2 way found the flavours of Cubans (cedar & leather) very prominent, but the strength seemed a little milder with still a wonderful amount of smoke for a cigar of this size.

Getting to the end, the strength picked up a bit again, but still a very smooth smoke. It started burning my lips so I let it go out. This smoke lasted 25 minutes.

Cigar # 2:

Another Petite Corona size, ~ 4-1/4" X 42 with a wrapper slightly darker then #1, and a little rougher with some veins showing. It also had one tiny white spot about 3/4" from the foot. This one also had a near perfect cap that snipped cleanly to once again reveal a nice roll pattern. The prelight draw on this one was tighter, but not to the point of being uncomfortable and also showed some "Cuban" flavour characteristics.

Lit easily, and with the tighter draw, I found it milder with less smoke. It showed a much cleaner burn than the other with no hint of even needing a correction. The ash was slightly darker, but smoother and firmer than #1.

At 1/2 way, it seemed like it was going to plug, but after a few more puffs, the draw settled out again. The flavours became more pronounced at this point and started to become a little stronger with more smoke. It strengthened close to being harsh by the end of the smoke. This stick lasted 35 minutes.

OVERALL:

Here's a picture of the nubs side by side with corresponding caps. #1 is on the left and this picture doesn't really give the slight colour difference justice.

Dare I say that I think both these cigers were Cuban in origin?? I thoroughly enjoyed both, but I have to say I enjoyed #1 more, mainly because I liked the draw better. Both had their good points, but I would have to give #1 a slightly higher mark. I don't know if I was sent two ISOMs to play with my skull or not, and maybe neither is Cuban, but I would buy either as a short smoke (depending on price, of course). In spite of my preference, I may have to say #2 may be the higher priced smoke.

So, what are they??

I can't wait!
    Newf:

All cuban, but not intentional to screw with you mind.

#1 Cohiba Siglo1 (apr $9)
    #2 Partagas Short (apr $5.50)

To be honest I think that the cohiba is overpriced, but it still is a nice cigar. The cohiba might have been a bit young.

Great reviews, Jim.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by slcraiders View Post
    Great reviews, Jim.
    Thanks James.

Cool, I'm not losing it!!! I figured at first the #1 was a Monte Cristo, but I've never had a small MC with a nice draw. I find 'em too tight. I didn't think of the Party Short for #2 because of the "milder" start.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

Well Jim has put me to shame, both with the quality and promptness of his review, not sure if this is going to help my case much either.

Crappy weather has kept me from smoking this stick (#1) for a while, but finally the clouds clear and I am able to clip the cap from this churchill (7⅛" 46(?) RG), again a lovelly colarado maduro wrapper with an easy pre-light draw.

First draw on this after lighting gave me an almost sweet (burnt sugar) flavour and plenty of body, but this did not last long. For the most of the cigar I got leather and pepper and a lot of well bodied smoke. The stick burnt incredibly well and easily dealt with a sip on the smoke every three to five minutes, such an even burn circle.

As I came into the last two inches the smoke became a bit sour and acrid, and I stubbed with an 3/4 inch left.

All in all a very nice smoke, definately in the medium to full range as it left me feeling kind of full.

On the comparison between the two cigars, I would have to say that i prefer #1 as it just seems to fit my taste range better, and given a better day with my pallate I think that I could have really got a lot out of it. Given the distinctive shape of #2 I guessing that it was a Trilogy and the cheaper cigar, but if it was what my research led me to believe, then it is damn good value for money.

Thanks for the opportunity Dan and I look foward to learning what these sticks were.

Great revews man

You are right on the money with #2 -- Trilogy Corojo ( although not the best cigar out there, still a very good deal for the money IMO )

#1 was in fact the more expensive one AVO maduro. I also agree that it is a very pleasant smoke and I am glad you enjoyed it

Default #1

Review These From Newfie

Ok well I started the review these today I started with #1 it was a short cigar about 5" with a small ring gauge it snipped really well it lit kinda hard at first the draw was tight and the burn was a little uneven for me at the start the taste was not real good at first then about the second half it really started to develop and burn evenly but really it was over to quick for me as far as what kind of cigar it was I would have to guess some kind of Cohiba I am not a real big fan of short small cigars as far as rating this I would have to say on a scale of 1-10 I would have to give it a 4 I will post #2 as soon as get a chance to review it
    Last edited by TheNakedGun; 12-03-2006 at 12:10 AM.
    GO AHEAD PUNK MAKE MY DAY

Thread Information