Thread: help. Varied lighting techq.

from the future. here are tonights winning lotto numbers

Default help. Varied lighting techq.

Hi All! This be my first post. Firstly, apologies for this post. I ran a search, and didn'[t come up with anything to help me out.

I have only recently taken up cigar smoking, and I have been told the way I light them is incorrect. Can I get some guidance, so I can at least look like I know what Im doing.

Well, you say, what is he doing?. Holding the cigar in my hand, light the lighter (dont use matches due to sulphur? ) hold the cigar above the flame, and rotate it slowly, ensuring that the cigar lights evenly. Bring to mouth, puff thru it a couple of times, to get rid of any, for lack of a beter word, crud due to lighting, then enjoy.

What am I smoking? Well like all new things, you dont go out and blow your pay cheque on something new, that your not sure your going to like, so I have some Old Port Colts, Hav-A-Tampa Jewels, and some Henri Wintermans Corona DeLux. You may scoff at my choice, but Im doing this blind, so I am finding what I like, and searching the web for some good cigars, that I can easily get here in NSW, Australia.

Well, any input would be well read.

Cheers!!
    Smokey the bear says:.....

It seems to me you're lighting them correctly, however, many people don't like to use regular lighters or zippos due to fuel taste, so most use a torch. I don't have a torch, so I light a strip of cedar, and then light my cigar with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteWidow
    so I light a strip of cedar, and then light my cigar with that.
    Man, that would get me laughed out of work. The guys at work are idiots though.... I thought it was the correct way to light them. One of the boys at the Horses snatched my cigar off me, shoved it into his cigarette to light it, when that didnt work, straight into the flame of his lighter. Not happy.

A strip of cedar. Sounds cool. Im looking at a boxed gift set at teh moment. Humidor, 50 cigars, cutter, and torch for about $150AUD. Might be a step in the right direction.

You’re doing fine, welcome to the board. If you want to use a match go ahead, just let the head completely ignite to before sucking it in to avoid sulfur. My experience is that the more stable your humidity control the less important all the steps of lighting become. Just spark the flame and roll the cigar while your sucking on it and you should be fine.

And don't sweat your choice in cigars, ya you may get some crap for smoking flavored cigars but don't worry about it. Smoke what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    And don't sweat your choice in cigars, ya you may get some crap for smoking flavored cigars but don't worry about it. Smoke what you like.
    Thankyou. Im doing just that

Welcome to the board . I've heard several different ways to light correctly . I've used stick matches , strips of cedar , zippo lighters and torch lighters . If using matches do as nhcigarfan says - let the sulfur burn completely off to avoid a nasty taste . When I use cedar strips I usually get an audience - kind of a eye catcher - works great . I no longer use a zippo because I didn't like the taste it gave at the beginning of a good smoke , mostly I use a torch lighter . When you start to light it - lightly toast the foot - then begin to draw on it but don't let the flame touch the foot but keep it pretty close to touching , while you are drawing in - rotate it and keep drawing in - check it and if it needs more go ahead and finish lighting it . That is the way I do it . At first I didn't know how to light up either . I read this technique somewhere either on the net or in a magazine . Good luck and smoke what you want . The Fuente line is nice .

7. Default

I think lighting technique is kind of overrated, personally.

I think the most important part is to get the cigar lit fairly evenly.

With matches, I usually do a draw and turn technique. Then a take a second to inspect it to make sure it looks lit all the way around..

With a torch, I usually sear the end pretty evenly first, then stick it in my mouth for a draw and turn technique. Again, check it's lit evenly before settling in.

If you find something that works for you, then that's the best way to do it.

Moheganson Guest

Just the the cigar. It's not rocket science. This "toast the foot" or whatever I've been told by people is silly. I use Zippos and have never experienced any ill side affects that people claim they sense when they use a Zippo. Matches are fine too. Don't make a big deal over it.

ForgedByFire Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Moheganson
    Just the the cigar. It's not rocket science. This "toast the foot" or whatever I've been told by people is silly. I use Zippos and have never experienced any ill side affects that people claim they sense when they use a Zippo. Matches are fine too. Don't make a big deal over it.
    Agreed, I use a regular lighter with a rotation draw and never have any problems. I think alot of this is for show, kind of like smelling the cork off a bottle of wine. After I light a bit I blow on the foot a bit to see where I'm hot and where I'm not. As long as you are burning even you did it right.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ForgedByFire
    Agreed, I use a regular lighter with a rotation draw and never have any problems. I think alot of this is for show, kind of like smelling the cork off a bottle of wine. After I light a bit I blow on the foot a bit to see where I'm hot and where I'm not. As long as you are burning even you did it right.
    Um, actually, you smell the cork of a bottle of wine looking for a musty smell. If a wine with a real cork is stored standing up, the cork can get moldy, lending off flavors to the wine.

Thread Information