Thread: These constant colds are ruining my cigar smoking!

Default These constant colds are ruining my cigar smoking!

I get few enough chances to enjoy a fine cigar as it is. These damn constant colds this season are ruining what I do have! I have had SIX frickin' colds/coughs since the end of summer! I usually don't get that many in two seasons!

The new baby has to be the reason. Being the cute little petri dish he is, he collects the viruses at day care and lovingly spreads them around at home. That can't be the only reason though. Has this been a particularly bad cold/flu season? Are there that many variants of bugs running around this year? Others I know are saying the same thing. They've caught a lot of colds this season. It's enough to drive me nuts! Each illness costs me one to two weeks without a cigar. I don't know about you, but I just can't properly enjoy a cigar with a cold. It ruins the taste and aroma, and the smoke just irritates things.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Blog Entries

I'm with you brother! I have a chest cold right now and it's really pissing me off. For instance, I found a new Bar/Restaurant/Liquor Store that A.) Has a Micro-brewery B.) Sells cigars C.) Sells a huge variety of foreign and domestic beers, and most importantly D.) Lets you smoke in the bar. So, I could have had a cigar and drank some beers to soak up the atmosphere if I didn't have this cold.

I have only had one cold this season, just like always. According to what I've seen with others I work with, this season seems mild.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Quote Originally Posted by illilli
    I'm with you brother! I have a chest cold right now and it's really pissing me off. For instance, I found a new Bar/Restaurant/Liquor Store that A.) Has a Micro-brewery B.) Sells cigars C.) Sells a huge variety of foreign and domestic beers, and most importantly D.) Lets you smoke in the bar. So, I could have had a cigar and drank some beers to soak up the atmosphere if I didn't have this cold.

I have only had one cold this season, just like always. According to what I've seen with others I work with, this season seems mild.
    Sounds like my kind of place. Cigar friendly lounges are hard to find. Particularly one's with micro-breweries! There are two places around here that have huge open rooms with high ceilings. Cigar smoke is easier to keep away from others there. That's the best I've got.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

I found a new Bar/Restaurant/Liquor Store that A.) Has a Micro-brewery B.) Sells cigars C.) Sells a huge variety of foreign and domestic beers, and most importantly D.) Lets you smoke in the bar.
    WHERE WHERE!?!?

Blog Entries

It's call Duffy's III. It is at the intersection of Route 4 and Route 408. It's about 30 minutes from New Carolton. I want to hang out there a couple of times to see how the people are, but I went in the first time and one of the employers took me around and showed me the place, gave me a card, and made me feel welcome. This is not your typically city-like bar. It has a good-ol' boy feel, but that is kind of nice.

There were plenty of middle-aged women drinking brews and looking enticing (wink and laugh).

Sorry for the temporary high-jack Kenyth. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    puro pot pass VI loser

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

came down with a coughing fit this morning. Then round 12 got that nasty feeling in my throat, and threw up during class. It was so embarrassing and nasty. Got a virus, so ill be out for a few days.

It's call Duffy's III. It is at the intersection of Route 4 and Route 408. It's about 30 minutes from New Carolton. I want to hang out there a couple of times to see how the people are, but I went in the first time and one of the employers took me around and showed me the place, gave me a card, and made me feel welcome. This is not your typically city-like bar. It has a good-ol' boy feel, but that is kind of nice.

There were plenty of middle-aged women drinking brews and looking enticing (wink and laugh).

That's all right. Your post was more interesting than mine anyway. Most folks here would really like to have a place like that nearby. I found out from someone there is a cigar friendly lounge located in an upscale restaurant here, but that's not my style either. Overpriced food and drinks along with a dress standard and the fact it's uptown so you have to park in the garage and walk all kind of turn me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroy_Fan
    came down with a coughing fit this morning. Then round 12 got that nasty feeling in my throat, and threw up during class. It was so embarrassing and nasty. Got a virus, so ill be out for a few days.

Ohhhhhh, public hurling!

Ouch! Sorry about that. Sounds like the flu. Take care of yourself.

Tell me about it, this year has had a bumper crop of viruses in the UK, with two particularly bad ones. The one that I have had lasts for 6-8 weeks and just chucks different symptoms at you each week, muscular pain then a bad head cold then a bad chest then chills, fever and dizziness then sneezing and runny nose, absolute nightmare. The other one (that touch wood) i have not had, but it basicly involves puking and bad stomach upsets and lasts for a week. Jeeez, who need to worry about bird flu hey.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

10. Default

You guys need to get one of the 3, or all.

Zicam
    Emer-gen-C
    Airbourne

I use zicam regularily when I feel like Im about to get sick, cuts everything in half. If I do get sick, I start pounding the Emer-gen-C. Good stuff.

Airborne is the da bomb!
    Take it once every three hours once you start to feel the cold come on and it really helps keep that cold away!

Usually the colds I've been having hang on for a week or more. This one I'm on Day 3 and feeling a tiny but stuffed up but overall I feel great. After a hot shower I may be tempted to get a coffee and light up!

Wow, illilli, thats miles away from my jobsite! Thanks.

I know what you mean, when my stepson came to live with us, voila, I started getting sick several times per year, mostly minor stuff, coughs and colds. I just took Dayquil and Nyquil and kept smoking, but only cheaper sticks, mostly bundles, as Damn if I'm gonna smoke a premium cigar and not be able to taste anything.

It's a good time to use up those bundled smokes you've had lying around, if you're like me and want to try bundled smokes from time to time. Plus you're loopy from all the cold medicine so the nicotine hit makes life interesting.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by hortsch
    You guys need to get one of the 3, or all.

Zicam
    Emer-gen-C
    Airbourne

I use zicam regularily when I feel like Im about to get sick, cuts everything in half. If I do get sick, I start pounding the Emer-gen-C. Good stuff.

Agreed, see your doc and get the good stuff. I have allergies so a good solid snort of Albuterol keeps me from coughing up a lung when colds work with allergies to try and kill me.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    Agreed, see your doc and get the good stuff. I have allergies so a good solid snort of Albuterol keeps me from coughing up a lung when colds work with allergies to try and kill me.
    You guys have cheap smokes, we have cheap drugs!!!!

16. Default

Saw a guy get pepper sprayed last night...I know his sinuses are clear today. What a mess.

Thread Information