Thread: El Meijor Espresso Maduro Torpedo

Default El Meijor Espresso Maduro Torpedo

One of the various cigars CI puts out to keep things interesting. The one striking thing about this cigar is it's looks. It's a beautiful stick. A gorgeous dark oily wrapper with no real veins to speak of. The band is nice looking and compliments the dark wrapper nicely, making for a very pretty smoke. That's where the impressiveness ends, a pretty cover. As I picked up the cigar I noticed an abundance of soft spots. The bouquet smelled a bitt off too. The burn on this cigar was constantly uneven and needed touch ups with the lighter. The draw was OK. The taste was completely mediocre. The cigar tasted a little bit green, so maybe some aging will help, but I think the biggest problem with this cigar is that the filler just tastes a bit cheap. The fillers are nowhere near as rich and dark as the wrapper. Outside of what the wrapper imparts, there's no complexity. Now, this cigar doesn't cost that much, and it's quite smokable so I certainly don't feel ripped off, but it's not the gem I hoped it would be. If you want a good maduro at a great price, stick to the Nestor Reserve.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

"He did for bullshit what Stonehenge did for rocks." -Cecil Adams

Thanks for the review. What color is the band? I have a box pressed Mad. Torp that has a green band. My thoughts of that cigar was very similar to your review.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    Thanks for the review. What color is the band? I have a box pressed Mad. Torp that has a green band. My thoughts of that cigar was very similar to your review.

- Jason

I'm pretty sure it was a burgundy color. Mine was box pressed also. It's a shame. The cigar sure is pretty. I'll make up for it by smoking a nice Montecristo Platinum tonight.
    "some people are like slinkies, they're not really good for anything but they can bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." –Unknown

4. Default

Cuban Crafters makes these IIRC
    The older I get ,the better I was

These smoke much better after 6 months or longer.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Penguin View Post
    These smoke much better after 6 months or longer.
    I had to return mine, they were horrible. Burned even, but taste was really bad. I dont think that aging was going to fix the flavor, not to mention id rather have two $15 cigars than 20 nasty ones.

Ya....I wont buy them again myself.The maduro washes off on my fingers/lips to buy the way.
    A good cigar is as great a comfort to a man as a good cry to a woman. ....Edward G Bulwer-Lytton

I was about to pull the trigger of some of these, they look so damned tasty in the 'logue. Beautiful glossy pictures and ad hype almost ran away with my $ and humi space...again.
    Thanks for the review!

ok, i got a fiver of these from cbid. tried one a couple of weeks ago, not too bad. then gave one to a friend. smoked one tonight, and absolutely hated it. tasted horrible, and just like dude said, it left residue wherever it touched you. the think is, just before i smoke a cigar, i like to rub it all over my face. it's a ritual of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    ok, i got a fiver of these from cbid. tried one a couple of weeks ago, not too bad. then gave one to a friend. smoked one tonight, and absolutely hated it. tasted horrible, and just like dude said, it left residue wherever it touched you. the think is, just before i smoke a cigar, i like to rub it all over my face. it's a ritual of mine.
    That's a sure sign the wrapper is dyed. It explains why it looks so pretty, but doesn't live up to it's looks.

Default A follow up

Been letting the rest of these age. Primarily because I had no desire to smoke them. It was aging with a bunch of better cigars. The aging leveled out the humidity and made the pre-light aroma better, but that's where the improvement ends. It still tasted nasty. Charry and bitter, with an uneven burn. I would stay away from these, period. Cedar aging did little for it.

I have a couple of these in my humidor and have yet to smoke one. Its true that they look great, but they dont seem to have a decent scent. I have not found any soft spots. Im somewhat disappointed at the poor reviews, as I was hoping the smoke to be at least ok.

Thread Information