Thread: What to look for in a humidor

Default What to look for in a humidor

So Im new to this as most of you probably know by now. Ive been looking for a small humidor to buy for my place. As of right now, I dont have one, so I usually buy a cigar, one at a time. Ive found some on E Bay, but with my lack of knowledge on the subject, Im not to sure what to look for. One with a built in hygrometer? One that has a seperate one?

I dont want to spend a whole lot, just becuase I cant afford a fancy one right now. Nor do I need a huge one, just because I cant afford alot of expensive sticks right now also. I just need one so I dont have to keep going and buying singles when I want a smoke. Thanks in advance!

Right now I have an ebay one and a cheap cooler that I found sitting around. The ebay humi requires charging every few days because of it's crappy seal. The cooler has been good now for over 2 weeks. I have heard good things abotu cubancrafters. Check them out.

edit: if you just need something for singles, why don't you just buy some viper beads (or use floral foam) and put it in a tupperware container.

The main thing that matters in a humi is the seal. If it has a good seal, you're golden. If it has a poor seal, you can count on spending a lot of time pissing around with it.
    Last edited by drew_goring; 04-04-2006 at 08:09 PM.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

I bought my first humi from Ebay for about $45. I guess I just got lucky, because it's a good, solidly built box that holds humidity nearly as well as my Boxpressed humi.

The one from Ebay is maple with a blue transparent stain, a top tray with a divider and a divider for the bottom portion. It was advertised as a 100 count, but actually holds about 75 smokes when full. It came with an analog hygrometer and a thin rectagular humidifier.

I don't know if these are still available on Ebay, because that's a site I try to avoid these days for budgetary reasons. lol If you can find it, they used to call it the Blue Danube, or something like that. I sniped it to get that price, they were selling for about $80-$90 back then, about four years ago. Whatever you do, get a larger one than you think you need. You'll thank me later.

I'm sure others will be along with suggestions soon.

Good luck!
    Who the hell's been peeking at my member?

Just get a high quality piece of tupperware, not the new disposable stuff, and a new sponge (the inexpensive, plan old sponge, not a fancy kind) and a jug of distilled water.

Saturate the sponge and put it in the microwave on high for 2 mins or so. (until it's almost dry) and it should be sanitized if not sterilized. Then add more distilled water and squeeze it until no water comes out and put it in the tupperware. Add cigars and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    Just get a high quality piece of tupperware, not the new disposable stuff, and a new sponge (the inexpensive, plan old sponge, not a fancy kind) and a jug of distilled water.

Saturate the sponge and put it in the microwave on high for 2 mins or so. (until it's almost dry) and it should be sanitized if not sterilized. Then add more distilled water and squeeze it until no water comes out and put it in the tupperware. Add cigars and enjoy.
    All I did for the first few months I smoked was use a tupperware cake pan with a sponge (wasn't smart enough to sterilize it though) and a $6 analog hygrometer from a local shop. You should probably salt test it first, mine way almost 10% off originally.

Thread Information