Thread: How to ship to my Deployed buddy in Kuwait

1. Default How to ship to my Deployed buddy in Kuwait

If anyone can help please let me know.
    I just got back a few months ago and over there they only have a limited selection in the PX (stores on base).
    My buddy that is still out there has asked that I send him some CAO since they do not sell them on post (he isn't as lucky as I am I was able to get off post and grab some cubans)

Since it takes time (not much money because it is considered a US post office) what is the best way to ship them to him?

would a humidor tapped close work

would a strong tuperware container tapped work

one of those rugged cigar holders

Someone let me know thanks

How long does it usually take for a package to get there ??
    I'm not big on doing reviews, tobacco doesn't taste like "cocoa" or "nutty" or "mocha" to me, it tastes like freakin' TOBACCO. I know what I like and I really don't care what other people think of other cigars. I've never read a review and said to myself "Wow, that sounds like a cigar I'd like to try!"

Any thing I've sent APO usually gets there in less than 3 weeks. Month max...

A good ziploc bag should work fine, but the tupperware container is an even better idea because he can use it as a makeshift humidor over there. Then just make sure you pad the crap out of the cigars so they don't get jumbled around in the box (use the free USPS Priority Mail boxes with bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts).

Please PM me an addy for him if you would, I'd like to put together a little package for him as well... I've got some CAO's and other goodies I can part with...

Very classy gesture, George!

p.s. You can have the raisin that was given to me yesterday.
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

5. Default

thanks guys that's cool, I will pm you his address.
    I just found out he was moved up to baghdad

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    snip.....Please PM me an addy for him if you would, I'd like to put together a little package for him as well... I've got some CAO's and other goodies I can part with...
    Someone with some clout around here give this guy a raisin, or a termite, or something!!

While I'm not American, I've always been astounded with your Patriotism and respect for those serving overseas!!!

<<insert smiley saluting and holding an American flag here>>

If a couple of cigars will make the guy feel a little better while playing in the desert, I'm all in!!!

I couldn't POSSIBLY show my full appreciation for what those guys are sacrificing for me to sit on my sorry ass in front of my computer and make fun of asshats...

8. Default

I hear you I was out there for a year got back in September.
    Man I never experienced such high temps, when I left it was 130 and still going up
    at night it was nice and cool 100
    man I am glad to be home

Quote Originally Posted by alfredtv
    If anyone can help please let me know.
    I just got back a few months ago and over there they only have a limited selection in the PX (stores on base).
    My buddy that is still out there has asked that I send him some CAO since they do not sell them on post (he isn't as lucky as I am I was able to get off post and grab some cubans)

Since it takes time (not much money because it is considered a US post office) what is the best way to ship them to him?

Someone let me know thanks
    I have a buddy in the northern part of Iraq. I'm planning on sending him a Otterbox with a small cigar sized tube filled with cyrstals and then a bunch of cigars, a few books and maybe some DVD's. He just had a kid and i had the pleaseure of getting to hang out with him for a few hours this last weekend when i was up by Philly.
    Any comments or suggestions on shipping/packaging would be helpfull.
    I vote for the Otterbox, as i am putting all my eggs in one basket per se.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredtv

I'd go with something plastic - tupperware (not the disposable kind) is pretty light, durable, economical, and has a good seal. Just put a water pillow or a moist folded paper towel in a plastic bag, fold the bag in 1/2, and then insert it in the bag with the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaiguan Juan
    Any comments or suggestions on shipping/packaging would be helpfull. I vote for the Otterbox, as i am putting all my eggs in one basket per se.
    Otterboxes are fantastic... hard as hell and your buddy could probably use it well after the goodies are gone. Do you have foam or cotton balls? If you cushioned the cigar bags, etc. in foam (like egg crate or travel humis), you might as well put eggs in 'em b/c they'll get there in great shape.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Well, I know from being over here, that you all are very generous with donating smokes. They are very appreciated, Thanks.

The Otterboxes are awesome, but I have to tell you that they are heavier to ship and are quite a large gesture on your behalf. A Tupperware container with some beads, or spare floral foam are perfect for helping the deployed soldier maintain a small but ready supply of properly stored cigars.....you can imagine how fast cigars can dry out in the desert.

Maybe a few pieces of spanish ceder if ya have some old seperators lying around, or possibly a old empty wooden box.

These are just a few suggestions, ultimately as long as you pack them so they dont get crushed and they can maintain some moisture, you will succeed in making him a very happy soldier.

Thanks again for all you send,

Doug

I love experimentation!!!

I have come across the perfect combo - shipping and storage!!!

I purchased the Rubbermaid "Takealongs" Rectangles 32 Oz (4 cups). They come 3 to a pack, and were $2,99 for the whole shooting match at my local grocery store. They're not real heavy, but heavy enough to protect the cigars during shipment, and seem to have a nice enough seal to hold in the moisture. This is a pefect temporary humidor. I was able to fit about 12 sticks or so, with a little humidificiation device (I'd suggest you check with your local shop, they usually have left over humidi-packs from Fuente stuff - if not, they usually have the <$1.00 water pillows).

I taped the outside of the Rubbermaid to keep it from popping during shipment. I then put it inside of the USPS O-1096 LARGE Video Cassette box. It fits PERFECTLY in there, without any additional padding. As long as the cigars are nicely packed and don't roll around they will stay safe. The great thing about these boxes are if you order them from the USPS site, they're FREE!!!

The only disadvantage I see to the system is if the box is crushed... That's never happened to me, and hopefully that won't happen this time....

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    I love experimentation!!!

I have come across the perfect combo - shipping and storage!!!

I purchased the Rubbermaid "Takealongs" Rectangles 32 Oz (4 cups). They come 3 to a pack, and were $2,99 for the whole shooting match at my local grocery store. They're not real heavy, but heavy enough to protect the cigars during shipment, and seem to have a nice enough seal to hold in the moisture. This is a pefect temporary humidor. I was able to fit about 12 sticks or so, with a little humidificiation device (I'd suggest you check with your local shop, they usually have left over humidi-packs from Fuente stuff - if not, they usually have the <$1.00 water pillows).

I taped the outside of the Rubbermaid to keep it from popping during shipment. I then put it inside of the USPS O-1096 LARGE Video Cassette box. It fits PERFECTLY in there, without any additional padding. As long as the cigars are nicely packed and don't roll around they will stay safe. The great thing about these boxes are if you order them from the USPS site, they're FREE!!!

The only disadvantage I see to the system is if the box is crushed... That's never happened to me, and hopefully that won't happen this time....
    Great idea, and an even greater show of respect.

Thread Information