Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: National Guard-Which Border?

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    When I was growing up, it was not a bad thing to work in a restaurant - or mow lawns - or clean horse stables. It was a way of making money - I don't care how much it paid, it paid cash... And now those jobs aren't good enough for our youth???
    When I was 18, summer time before going off to school, I worked for a moving company. I was the grunt doing the hardest work because I was new. Sitting with the gear shift up my ass because I wasn't good enough for a seat in the cab, 16 hour days. I made $7.50/hr starting and was up to $8.50/hr after a month probabtion period. If I wasn't going off to school I could have been up to $9.50/hr after 6 months. Today, same company, all the grunt crews are illegals, $3.50/hr off the books and that's all the time, not for a probationary month. The drivers are legals or Americans and that's it. It's not that people think they are too good for a job, it's they can't live off what they will get paid because illegals work for nothing and live 20 to a house and do nothing but drink in the yard or work. There is no logical argument that makes it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagaroo
    When I was 18, summer time before going off to school, I worked for a moving company. I was the grunt doing the hardest work because I was new. Sitting with the gear shift up my ass because I wasn't good enough for a seat in the cab, 16 hour days. I made $7.50/hr starting and was up to $8.50/hr after a month probabtion period. If I wasn't going off to school I could have been up to $9.50/hr after 6 months. Today, same company, all the grunt crews are illegals, $3.50/hr off the books and that's all the time, not for a probationary month. The drivers are legals or Americans and that's it. It's not that people think they are too good for a job, it's they can't live off what they will get paid because illegals work for nothing and live 20 to a house and do nothing but drink in the yard or work. There is no logical argument that makes it ok.

I'm with you guys. I just graduated from college in 1988, but along the way, I had a paper route, mowed a shitload of lawns, sacked groceries and worked for UPS unloading trucks during the graveyard shift, which was backbreaking work. I just cant fucking believe that kids today won't take jobs like this and put some hard work into their lives. Seems to me that illegals do most of the work I did as a kid less than 20 years ago.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

My 15 yr. old son complains about needed money. I give my kid my old lawnmower, which (after being fixed up by me so he could use it) worked perfectly well. He looks at me like I'm crazy and says, "never mind..." He could have easily charged $20-30 per lawn in my neighborhood and cut 5 - 6 lawns within a few blocks of my house each week. $100-180 per week for about 10-12 hours does not equate to $3.50/hr. While he couldn't necessarily live on that wage, he certainly could have used the money. But he'd rather sit watching TV... And he's not the only one I see like that...

When I first moved into my neighborhood about 20 yrs ago or so I used to have kids (multiple) at my door weekly asking if I wanted them to cut my lawn. It's now been at least 10 years since I've had one stop by... And I've NEVER had anyone stop by asking to shovel my driveway after a snow storm - I'd GLADLY pay them $30.00 to do that, for an hours worth of work...

Nope - in my experience (limited as it is), todays youth expects to make the big bucks without the necessary sweat...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    My 15 yr. old son complains about needed money. I give my kid my old lawnmower, which (after being fixed up by me so he could use it) worked perfectly well. He looks at me like I'm crazy and says, "never mind..." He could have easily charged $20-30 per lawn in my neighborhood and cut 5 - 6 lawns within a few blocks of my house each week. $100-180 per week for about 10-12 hours does not equate to $3.50/hr. While he couldn't necessarily live on that wage, he certainly could have used the money. But he'd rather sit watching TV... And he's not the only one I see like that...

When I first moved into my neighborhood about 20 yrs ago or so I used to have kids (multiple) at my door weekly asking if I wanted them to cut my lawn. It's now been at least 10 years since I've had one stop by... And I've NEVER had anyone stop by asking to shovel my driveway after a snow storm - I'd GLADLY pay them $30.00 to do that, for an hours worth of work...

Nope - in my experience (limited as it is), todays youth expects to make the big bucks without the necessary sweat...

Geez... My kid is 10 and he already works for his cash. I don't mean making up his bed and stuff either. Yard work and stuff at our house and my parents house. Him and his buddy are already trying to figure out a job they can do to start saving up for Space Camp in 3 years. And I had teenagers in a bid war to cut my yard before I got my riding mower a couple years ago. I'm not use to kids not understanding work.

5. Default

Geez... My kid is 10 and he already works for his cash. I don't mean making up his bed and stuff either. Yard work and stuff at our house and my parents house. Him and his buddy are already trying to figure out a job they can do to start saving up for Space Camp in 3 years. And I had teenagers in a bid war to cut my yard before I got my riding mower a couple years ago. I'm not use to kids not understanding work.
    You need to move out to ultrayuppieland... Kids don't work, they just get whatever their rich little hearts desire.

When I was a wee lad, I really, really wanted a Sega Master System. It was $100, came with 2 controllers, the light gun, and 2 games. My parents' response? Save up and you can get one. So I did. And I was filled with hours of Hang On Goodness...

A few years ago, the PS2 came out at $300, which included the box and a single controller, no games. And every damn last yuppie kid had one right away. Parents were clawing and biting and paying hundred of dollars over retail so little Timmy wouldn't have to be the only kid in town with LAST year's playstation.

Hell, if the Walmart didn't have any PS2s when my parents went, I'd get a Speak and Spell instead. My aunt would probably get one of those "16 great arcade games you've never heard of" systems and claim it's the same damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    You need to move out to ultrayuppieland... Kids don't work, they just get whatever their rich little hearts desire.

When I was a wee lad, I really, really wanted a Sega Master System. It was $100, came with 2 controllers, the light gun, and 2 games. My parents' response? Save up and you can get one. So I did. And I was filled with hours of Hang On Goodness...

A few years ago, the PS2 came out at $300, which included the box and a single controller, no games. And every damn last yuppie kid had one right away. Parents were clawing and biting and paying hundred of dollars over retail so little Timmy wouldn't have to be the only kid in town with LAST year's playstation.

Hell, if the Walmart didn't have any PS2s when my parents went, I'd get a Speak and Spell instead. My aunt would probably get one of those "16 great arcade games you've never heard of" systems and claim it's the same damn thing.
    It seems as if some people want to lower the standard of living in the US just because they have a deep seated resentment towards people who have/had more than they do.

Sega Master System? You are a young pup, aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChuck
    It must be a north south thing. I live about 2 feet from where the 10+ million dollar homes on Lake Lanier start and they are filled with yuppies. Kids still have to work and a super nice new ride is a Honda Civic or something and more often than not the kids have to help pay for it. Of course, they do work, when they can find someplace that hasn't hired all illegals working for slave wages.

It must be a north south thing. I live about 2 feet from where the 10+ million dollar homes on Lake Lanier start and they are filled with yuppies. Kids still have to work and a super nice new ride is a Honda Civic or something and more often than not the kids have to help pay for it. Of course, they do work, when they can find someplace that hasn't hired all illegals working for slave wages.
    You're right.
    Wanting or not wanting to work is a moot point if there aren't any jobs not already filled by, or reserved for, illegals.

Thread Information