Thread: Gifts and being a true BOTL

Shearstown, Newfoundland (A suburb of Bay Roberts)

Default Gifts and being a true BOTL

I started a thread similar to this once before, but this incident justifies another thread, IMHO.

Touching story, and one of my best memories of the trip to VA and DC:

We here at Cigar Smokers are all used to gifts and packages of good health and wishes flying around, but I experienced true Brotherhood from someone I'd never met before (even on a BB) and will probably never hear of again. I went in to OVTC in Woodbridge to meet a member of another board to do a trade we had arranged. While we were sitting and smoking, a couple of other guys who frequent this shop were talking and were fascinated a Canadian would go "all the way" there to get smokes. I was talking about the prices and general unavailability of good N/Cs in this area and one retired (ex-USMC) gentleman took special interest in what I was saying. He seemed particurlarly interested in the fact I had to talk to the Manager of another OVTC in Richmond and almost beg him to sell me a couple of Opus X as a gift for the HERF Friday night (he ended up selling me a single Fuente Fuente for $8). After a few minutes, he went over to the Manager (Jeremy, great guy), took him to one side, chatted quietly for a minute and then went and sat back down. A few minutes later, Jeremy came and handed me a baggie containing 2 Opus. I looked at him kinda funny and asked what these were for. He waved his hand at the ex-Marine and said "Ask him". The guy said "A gift for my new Canadian friend, eh!!" To say the least, I was touched, right to the heart. I'm not ashamed to say I almost choked up. I couldn't thank the guy enough. What I am ashamed of is that I can't even remember the Marine's name!!! I have already contacted Jeremy and asked if I sent him a small ISOM Missile, would he pass it on to the generous BOTL. He told me he'd be glad to.

Between the Brotherhood I found at every shop I went into, and the Herf at Shelly's Friday night, I only wish I could justify a monthly trip.

OK, enough mushy shit for one night. I'm off to bed soon.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>

Hi. My name is Jim and I like to shave!

bigpoppapuff Guest

that is what it's all about....just continue to pay it forward...........

Great story. Hope your package makes his day as much as he made yours.

Blog Entries

I’ve had something similar happen a while ago, so I know how you feel. Being military, people sometimes go out to say thanks to those of us that wear the uniform. I've never, and no one I know, have ever wanted anything from anyone just because I wear the uniform.

After 9/11 I was getting on a flight to go to Chicago to pick up a cat. That's right, just to pick up a cat. All I had was a book to read for the flight. I got to the counter and checked in using the electronic check in. I noticed that none of the window seats where open. I asked the counter agent if there were any emergency seats open. He said there were and asked for my I.D. Military always give our military ID, it's natural. He asked if I understood the duties of the emergency seat and I explained that I'm an aircrew member on a AWACS, which is a modified 707 and I prefer to sit there because I trust myself verses anyone else to get the door open and follow instructions. He put the seat in and then stepped over the counter and wanted to shake my hand. He told me that he was very proud that I serve this country and wear the uniform. I said thanks; I appreciate it, made the rest of my day.

One day, I was in my blues (formal uniform) with all my ribbons and wings on and I was running into the store to pick up some smokes. One of the guys recognized that I was Air Force and asked if I deployed. I said yes, I just returned about 3 months ago from a deployment. While I was paying for my smokes, he threw in an extra smoke and thanked me again for my dedication to the defense of this nation. I thanked him and then went back to work.

I know how you feel. Humble and just awed.

I try and not display that I'm military although the haircut gives it away a lot. However, I do feel very honored when people say thanks for what we do. I just would rather they give thanks to those that are returning from Iraq and Afghanistan versus someone who is teaching new airmen what it's like to fly.

Not surprising to me at all... I've seen it a number of times already... Generous bunch of guys in this hobby of ours...

Great stories guys. I knew that people who call themselves BOTLs are a great bunch, so glad to hear things that keep reaffirming my opinions every day

7. Default

I am glad you had a great trip Jim!!! I was disappointed that I missed you but maybe next time!

~Mark

Thread Information