Thread: CAO Criollo

Default CAO Criollo

I got 10 of these in a sampler. I believe these are the Pato size (4 7/8 x 50).

I have only smoked one so far but here is my review of the first (I will update after I smoke a few more).

Initial Impression Well cronstructed with a beuatiful reddish brown wrapper and a small "rat-tail" type top. Firm to the touch and round.

Pre-Light Aroma Rich and aromatic with a slight cedar undertone and a hint of vanilla.

Draw Smooth to firm draw, a bit difficult at first.

Flavor Medium at first then built to a Med-Full rich flavor. Rich thick smoke with a cedar undertone and lingering finish. For a smaller stick it was suprisingly rich and strong toward the end.

Burn Even burn with a firm salt and pepper ash.

Over-all Impression CAO makes another great cigar. Not as spicy as the Gold label I have tried in the past. Very smooth and if you like thick rich smoke that lingers on the pallate then pick some up. 91
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

The Criollo is one of my favorites. I haven't had a bad one yet.

3. Default

I'm not a fan of the Criollo line. The Brazilia line is much more to my liking.

What is it about the Criollo line that you do not care for? And on the flip side (since I have never tried the Brazilia) what is it about the Brazilia that you do like?
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

5. Default

The ones I've tried seemed to never develop any complexity. The Brazilias start off spicy and get very full flavored...coffee, cedar, and dark spice. I nubbed one out last night. They go very well with rum and coke.

The Criollo seems spicy to me and so does the Brazilia just on different ends of the spectrum.

The Brazilia have a very nutty taste for me.

I tried one of these. Not a bad smoke at all, but nothing to rave about IMHO. This cigar was well constructed. A little loose on the draw for my taste, but nothing to complain about. A good burn, but the ash was a little weak. That is to be expected with a looser roll from my experience. A better, but quicker burn, and a weaker ash. The cigar did have a very nice bouquet. I found the smoke to be nice and thick, but a little one dimensional for a cigar in this price range. I expected more richness and spiciness to the smoke from the bouquet. I'm guessing that's because they used a great wrapper, but are a little lacking on the filler.

Thread Information