Thread: RSS Viewer (Cigarsmoker News Client)

Blog Entries

Default RSS Viewer (Cigarsmoker News Client)

I set up a little RSS viewer to play with tonight. I ended up coming up with a neat little news client.

http://www.cigarsmokers.com/newsview.php

Would any of you guys use it? My idea is to add Cigar Blogs and what not so you can keep track of things from one place. The script is set to refresh every 5 minutes, so it will update automatically.

If they idea catches on I'll probably add it to the top navigational menu.

BTW - I'm still playing with it, so if it breaks temporarily its probably me doing something.

Just to understand this better. a new window opens up when the lin is clicked and we should have that window open?

Also will pop up all the news stories that break on the update or just from a certain selection?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CgarDan View Post
    Just to understand this better. a new window opens up when the lin is clicked and we should have that window open?

Also will pop up all the news stories that break on the update or just from a certain selection?
    Its only a new window right now because its a link in a forum post it won't nessicarily open up in a new window if I put it up at the top. Basically what its doing is taking the http://news.yahoo.com/rss feeds and converting the data into HTML so you can read it.

When the page refreshes its just reloading the RSS feed and displaying the new headlines first.

I mainly wanted to learn a little more about the vBulletin plugin architecture so I can start writting my own stuff here at some point (how is that for a fun Friday night), but I thought some of you might use something like that. Instead of leaving the site to go read news or blog posts somewhere else you can stay here...

4. Default

I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    Its only a new window right now because its a link in a forum post it won't nessicarily open up in a new window if I put it up at the top. Basically what its doing is taking the http://news.yahoo.com/rss feeds and converting the data into HTML so you can read it.

When the page refreshes its just reloading the RSS feed and displaying the new headlines first.

I mainly wanted to learn a little more about the vBulletin plugin architecture so I can start writting my own stuff here at some point (how is that for a fun Friday night), but I thought some of you might use something like that. Instead of leaving the site to go read news or blog posts somewhere else you can stay here...
    Haha, I spent my friday night in front of my computer and I don't even have my own forum to play with...

This is a cool idea, I'll use it.

Good idea - Yahoo is where I get all my "pop" news, entertainment, sports, etc. So, I'd use it here.
    Equality is not seeing different things equally. It's seeing different things differently.
    - Tom Robbins

- Like I needed you to tell me I'm a fucking prick . . . Did you think you're posting some front page news? I am a fucking prick . . . - MarineOne

fancy

Default cigarcommunity.com

check out cigarcommunity.com they have rss feeds as well
    \

Thread Information