Thread: New Humidor

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Default New Humidor

Jsut bought a new humidor today. cost only $55 bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

$15 for the humidor and $40 for the shipping...hahahaha, still a great deal, seeing as i paid more for my 100 count humidor than i did for this one.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

Congratulations crazyman!
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

man, make sure you reply on here and tell us how it is. i've been looking at these humidors on ebay for weeks. i just don't understand how they sell them for so freakin cheap?! Let us know!
    Last edited by chefchris; 09-30-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Default eBay WARNING

Wow watch out, As a person whose fallen into that trap I must warn you...

I have ordered two humidors from eBay and I must say I'm thoroughly dissapointed. I got my first one, which I have kept until now, I noticed it was imparting a huge organic/spice flavor to cigars it was god awful I got my third humidor today from a JR retailer.
    My first one, solid contruction but not spanish cedar..

http://cgi.ebay.com/150ct-Glass-Top-...em300035630295

The wood was definitely not 'spanish cedar' as advertised I physically noticed the flavor of my cigars warping in the matter of two weeks for lighter smokes and a month at most for heavier ones.

Then I bought this peice of junk: The plexi glass is is held on with four screws and doesn't even come close to humidity requirements.

http://cgi.ebay.com/300-ct-GLASS-TOP...em280035519719

heres a useful link:
    http://www.fakehumidors.com/
    While I cannot vouch for either the companies making the claim my experience has shown it to be completely true.

After all this I spent basically 150 bucks on humidors, one from JR - Hopefully decent, one for dog rockets to be gifted to college freshman I hate, and one that can be thrown away as its absolute trash... Let my bad judgement be a warning for you guys,,,, watch out...

bigpoppapuff Guest

tell me the mfrs of both boxes...and what did you pay...the boxes look allright to me.....
    Last edited by bigpoppapuff; 10-06-2006 at 10:27 PM.

Default I don't have anything left from the packaging.

Originally i didn't detect a flaw with the first humidor until a few days ago i put soemn shakeapeares into the box for two weeks and they have nothing but acrid flavor left. Same happened to some Cabanas that i left in there for a few weeks I immensely enjoyed cabanas fresh out of the box medium mild and smooth, I had some GOOD cigars I have been saving in there and now I am hoping the organic taste can be overcome with frequent aerating in a new humidor. Before you put any nice sticks into it just test the water with two comparable mild cigars. I may have ruined the flavors of well over 500 worth of cigars.

I paid around fifty with shipping for both boxes of ebay. one was from the gadgets seller.

bigpoppapuff Guest

i need to know where they got the boxes...who supplied to them...from the pics they seem okay.....see4 what you can find out...i may be able to tell you something...

sounds like i'll be sticking with cuban crafters. got one from them, and if it were legal, i would have relations with it.

maybe we should list some other good sites that we know for a fact that they are reliable.

9. Default

Cuban Crafters humidors are top notch. Be careful of ebay as it is mostly a nasty flea market with carneys selling garbage
    The older I get ,the better I was

Hey Leeroy I am curious how that humidor is working for you? DId you have the same experience as me?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post
    heres a useful link:
    http://www.fakehumidors.com/
    But then when you go to their website, it's the same cookie-cutter humidors that everyone else is selling.

I wish I had temporary access to a thickness planer and a jointer.

The foothills of the Sierra mountains about 50 miles west of Lake Tahoe.

Just got my Cuban Crafters humidor with their 15 stick sampler package.

The humidor looks nice. I don't think it's lined with cedar. It looks like the whole thing is made of cedar and has a a cherry veneer laminated onto the outside.

The salt test showed the hygrometer to be dead on at 75%. I lightly wiped down the inside of the humidor with distilled water and primed the humidifier with CC's humidor primer liquid (50%-50% water and glycol) and it seems to be holding at 65% humidity.

It looks great, The craftsmanship is nothing to write home about but it's a tight box. I can feel the cedar in the lid meshing with the base every time I close it. So far so good.

Now about those smokes. It may just be my newbie pallete but every one of them looks and smells the same. It will be interesting to try a couple and see if I can tell any significant difference between them..

Quote Originally Posted by Dru Lee Parsec View Post
    Just got my Cuban Crafters humidor with their 15 stick sampler package.

The humidor looks nice. I don't think it's lined with cedar. It looks like the whole thing is made of cedar and has a a cherry veneer laminated onto the outside.

The salt test showed the hygrometer to be dead on at 75%. I lightly wiped down the inside of the humidor with distilled water and primed the humidifier with CC's humidor primer liquid (50%-50% water and glycol) and it seems to be holding at 65% humidity.

It looks great, The craftsmanship is nothing to write home about but it's a tight box. I can feel the cedar in the lid meshing with the base every time I close it. So far so good.

Now about those smokes. It may just be my newbie pallete but every one of them looks and smells the same. It will be interesting to try a couple and see if I can tell any significant difference between them..
    Dru, what 15 stick sampler did you get?

Thread Information