Thread: Ziploc Humidor

Default Ziploc Humidor

Ok, i've tried searching this but didn't find anything. I've got some overflow on the way and was gonna test out some ziploc bags to see how well they do as far as storage. I've been testing some cigar boxes i've got laying around. I got one stabilized at about 62%. It'd still like it to be a little higher.

My question: If i'm using a ziploc bag, do i need to treat it just like the salt test? As in, double bags and a cap of salt slightly wet with distilled water. I know that should level it out to about 70%. Or do i just need to put a cap of water or wet sponge in there and keep it from touching the cigars?

If anyone keeps there stash in ziplocs, get back to me and let me know your secrets.

Thanks in advance.

I had to use one once, but it was only a temporary thing. I had bought a Fuente ziploc bag which had a 70% relative humidity "humidpack" pouch in it. The fuente ziploc was not so big so I just put the humidity pouch in a bigger ziplock. Seemed to work fine. I smoked some cigars out of it. But like I said it was only a temporary thing. Try to find one of them at a local store. If you can't, I couldn't give any more advice. I've heard of wetting a paper towel but it doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I wouldn't want to jeopardize wetting the cigars.
    Last edited by cls515; 10-10-2006 at 10:04 PM.

i met my senorita at walmart just after posting that and was browsing around and found some of those old jars with the lid on them that has a latch. has a phenominal seal on it, so i thought i would try it out instead. it was like 5 bucks, and it looks alot better than a ziploc. i've got some extra beads laying around, so i'm gonna test it out.

4. Default

Salt test is 75%, not 70%. Any sealed container should work. You can always go to a cigar store and get some cedar "scraps" to put in so the cigars think they're in a humi; this would probably take some time to equilibrate while the cedar absorbs some agua.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    Salt test is 75%, not 70%. Any sealed container should work. You can always go to a cigar store and get some cedar "scraps" to put in so the cigars think they're in a humi; this would probably take some time to equilibrate while the cedar absorbs some agua.
    right when i read this, i just looked at a cigar box i had sitting on my desk, grabbed it, and ripped the cedar out of it. these should work fine. those cigars will never know the difference as long as i'm sneaky. i hear their eye sight is based on movement.

I'd take a look into a tupperware container if you're looking at storing anything over a week or so. Not quite as cheap, but pretty close.

What you're looking for is an airtight seal, which is what the double-bagging (hopefully) does.
    Look at that... I plumb got myself 5 raisins and 7 termites.

Coolers are dirt cheap right now. You should be able to get one for around $20 from Wal-mart. You're gonna need one eventually anyway. I would go that route.

just to update. i've been storing some sticks in that wal mart jar with the latch. works great! i've got some beads in there with some cedar scraps and it's holding humidity between 68-72. not bad for five bucks. i think i'm gonna glue a piece of a sponge to the lid and spray it with some distilled water as well.

it's also good to travel with. i took them camping with me last night.

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Quote Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
    just to update. i've been storing some sticks in that wal mart jar with the latch. works great! i've got some beads in there with some cedar scraps and it's holding humidity between 68-72. not bad for five bucks. i think i'm gonna glue a piece of a sponge to the lid and spray it with some distilled water as well.

it's also good to travel with. i took them camping with me last night.
    The jar works great. At my local Herf house, they had the H. Upmann jars for sale. And they had a couple of empty ones. I bouth one for 7 bucks. It is working great.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

Jars are a great sealed environment but I understand they can damage the foot of the cigar if they are stored upright. Also, the environment is so airtight that over long periods of time ammonia builds up as the cigars age. So store them on the side and open the jars up every once in a while to exchange the air.

Midlothian, Virginia in the Subs. Longwood University....in FARMVILLE Virginia....

Oh yea that common knowledge. You need to let your cigars breathe every once n a while, even in a regular humidor. I open my humidor every 2 weekes, to let my cigars breathe a fresh breath of air.
    "After a truly good meal, an outstanding cigar is still the most satisfying after-dinner activity that doesn't involve two human beings."
    Brad Shaw

"Pull out a Montecristo at a dinner party and the political liberal turns into the nicotine facist."
    -- Martyn Harris

1 termite
    +1 raisin

Thread Information