Thread: Neverending battle 4 good cheap smoke

Default Neverending battle 4 good cheap smoke

In my neverending battle to find a above average smoke under 3 dollars I'm trying to figure out the best approach. Ive triied a sampler from Famous Smoke but wasnt real impressed. I've also done cigar swaps in other forums with out much success. One reason being, there was a lot crap to filter through and by the time the cigars got to me many were in very tough shape. My personal taste is medium and full body and it seems that in the inexpensive range full body cigars just means hot and strong. Some of my more expensive favorites are Bolivar Fuerte, Aston VGS, Perdomo Champagne, Padron, and some of my favorite ISOM's are Partagas Series D No. 4 and Monticristo No. 2.
    What have people on this forum done and/or suggest as a good way to sample a variety of cigars without getting a lot of crap. Ive signed up for the Newbie sampler and will be doing that exchange this week. But are there any other good avenues/options to get a good wide variety of inexpensive smokes to sample.

Thanks
    Quint
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Every now and then you can get a good deal on some good smokes for cheap on Cbid, but other than that and trading with friends, your not going to find "cheap" smokes.

If you have expensive tastes, then expect to pay more than $3 a smoke. You can find alot of good cigars for under $3 a stick, but if you dont like those ones, then your not going to find em.

Have you tried the 5 Vegas Serie 'A' yet? Thats a really good smoke for about $3 or so depending on where you get them.
    2 Funky Chickens!
    2.5 Pomegranates

Quote Originally Posted by Empire23 View Post
    Every now and then you can get a good deal on some good smokes for cheap on Cbid, but other than that and trading with friends, your not going to find "cheap" smokes.

If you have expensive tastes, then expect to pay more than $3 a smoke. You can find alot of good cigars for under $3 a stick, but if you dont like those ones, then your not going to find em.

Have you tried the 5 Vegas Serie 'A' yet? Thats a really good smoke for about $3 or so depending on where you get them.
    Ya I guess I'm not expecting to find a "$20 stick taste" for a $3 or $4 dollar price tag. But would really like to find a couple of different brands that are cheap but better than average tasting for an everyday smoke. I actually really like the Onyx Reserve # 4 great price for an excellant tasting and constructed stick. I'm thinking about trying others in the Onyx line because the Onyx #4 is a great cigar but small 5x44. I'm wondering if the exceelant taste tranlates to their belicoso, churchhill, and robusto sizes.

Anybody have any medium to full body samplers they would recommend ??
    A girl phoned me the other day and said ... Come on over, there's nobody home. I went over. Nobody was home.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

5 Vegas my friend....their gran reserva and their series A are both GREAT cigars. drop me your address and I'll send some gran reserva your way

Blog Entries

Sancho Panza's are great smokes for ~3-4 a stick.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by dHUTCH View Post
    5 Vegas my friend....their gran reserva and their series A are both GREAT cigars. drop me your address and I'll send some gran reserva your way

That would be excellant dHutch. PM on the way. Let me know what I can send your way. My dad is 79 on a fixed budget so I'm always triing to find a good smoke for small money for him also.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

You can definetly get some everyday cigars for $3 or less but keep in mind that they will most likely be mild to medium bodied smokes. Try the 1876 Reserve (mild) and the Indian Tabac Classic (medium).
    Also remember that the individual unit cost goes down when you buy full boxes. The trick is finding something that you can some regularly without getting tired of it.
    That the Tiger’s roar may echo
    O’er the mountain height!

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    +1

That's a great smoke for the money.
    Family, Friends and a good cigar. Oh and some fishing too!

Blog Entries

I enjoy the Flor de Oliva maduro's, about $2 in the Toro size at my local b/m. They have good flavor, to this newbie anyway, and have been pretty consistent as far as construction and taste.

+1
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I have a JR store around here that has cigars of the week... last tiem i checked it was RyJ Reserve Maduro coronsa for two bucks a peice. I use that to stock on decent smokes to try. I found Hoyo de Monterrey Executive to be a whoel lotta smoke for not alot of money. But then again its not a good smoke, its alotta smoke. It cost me under two bucks a stick.

+2

You cant beat the Sancho Panza Double Maduro

http://www.jrcigar.com/index.cfm?pag...w&itemcode=SPC

Or one of my new favorite cheapies, the Cubita SMS

http://www.famous-smoke.com/cigars/s...cfm/inum/19365

2nds on Sancho x fuertes and the 5 Vegas A's. Also don't forget the nic3000s. I haven't tried the JR Ults yet, but I like them connie #9s; for an $.88 smoke, you can't beat it.

Thanks for all the great ideas BOTL. I'll start grabbing some for my dad and myself to try out.

Keep the ideas coming though.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

15. Default Good Inexpensive Cigars

I have found through much trial and error that the best cigar for the money is the JR Alternative. There are 3 that I like. The JR Alternative to the Excaliber I, The JR Alt. to the HOYO Sultan and the JR Alt. to their own JR Ultimate (Ultimate 1) all can be had in Maduro and all have a great flavor without being harsh. These are all 7.25 X 54 cigars. They have other sizes so if you don't like the larger ring sizes you can look around.

Unfortunately, they are having a rather serious stocking problem right now and you have to search all 3 of these cigars to find what they currently have in stock. Go to:

jrcigar.com and on the left side click on Cigars, then scroll down the list to JR Alternatives and click there. Then you can go down the list and select what you want.

Hope you try these and like them,

Killian6pk

Jiaguy,I too have some of the Hoyo Executive bundles. Mine are maduro. They are a little over 2 yrs old and are smoking wonderfully. They start out kind of sweet and fruity and slowly change to a leathery earthy goodness. Smoked one the other night and had to put it out because it was burning my moustache(sp?)I highly recommend these as they are only $2 each from JR.

Blog Entries

Hey Quint,

Ya ever heard of "The Fools?" a Boston-based music group that's been around for a long time. Every now and then, they play at Tequilla's in Danvers. The guitar player, Rich Bartlett lives in Peabody.

I woulda sent you an email but you set your board settings to not accept email and I don't do PMs.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for cheap cigars since I don't smoke them.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Hey Quint,

Ya ever heard of "The Fools?" a Boston-based music group that's been around for a long time. Every now and then, they play at Tequilla's in Danvers. The guitar player, Rich Bartlett lives in Peabody.

I woulda sent you an email but you set your board settings to not accept email and I don't do PMs.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for cheap cigars since I don't smoke them.

Yep...saw them many times years ago at a place called the Summit Club in Peabody. My Band has played at Tequilla's a few times. Not a bad place. Hit or miss with the crowd though. We mostly played in Boston and Southshore. Music scence in the Northshore has really dropped of over the past 20 years.

FYI I just changed my email to accept the other day. I'm getting noticies from the forum now so I think its up and running properly.
    -- Rodney Dangerfield

Blog Entries

What's the name of your band and do you have a website?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information