Thread: Glass Top Humidor Leak??

1. Default Glass Top Humidor Leak??

My humidor looks like the one below, the only differrence is it has 1 smaller piece of glass on each side of the hygrometer. for some reason i can not keep it at higher than 60% I believe it has a leak that is keeping it from keeping any more humidity. I have tried several different options short of getting ready to buy a Cigar Oasis just to maintain. My question is if I wanted to add some sealer to the edge of the glass where, and what type should i use?

Should I
    A. Use the kind for plumbing and put it on the inside
    B. put it around the out side, this would really make the humidor look bad
    C. Use something like candle wax??

Just not sure what I should use and where it should go

420seth Guest

I would think silicone caulking would be good. But i am not expert. Someone will come along with the goods. I am sure.

Blog Entries

What's the temperature of the room your humi is in?
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

In addition to CC's question, what is your humidification device, and did you season the humidor as per the Herfer's guide (use search on that)?

I wouldn't rush to do anything drastic yet. (also, many consider 60% to be a good smoking humidity)

-W.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

Temp. is a huge consideration.

If it is a leak, go to a high-end pet store and buy some sealant for fish tank, If they have different kinds, tell them you want the one for the salt water tank. It should be the highest quality with the least impurities and be fairly neutral. Also, move the cigars to Tupperware or something while the sealant cures.

Quote Originally Posted by alfredtv View Post
    Should I
    A. Use the kind for plumbing and put it on the inside
    B. put it around the out side, this would really make the humidor look bad
    C. Use something like candle wax??
    I would not use candle wax because it is scented.

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan View Post
    Temp. is a huge consideration.

If it is a leak, go to a high-end pet store and buy some sealant for fish tank, If they have different kinds, tell them you want the one for the salt water tank. It should be the highest quality with the least impurities and be fairly neutral. Also, move the cigars to Tupperware or something while the sealant cures.
    Hmmm, that's a pretty innovative idea and would probably be much safer (no fumes etc like from caulking) to use.

-Will.
    The Internet - All the Piracy, None of the Scurvy

I can't believe none of you asked the obvious question - Did you salt test your hygrometer?
    Before I worried about anything else this would be the first thing I checked.

420seth Guest

You are getting sound advice my man. i wish I was in here when i was first learning the ropes. Would have made it a lot easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 420seth View Post
    You are getting sound advice my man. i wish I was in here when i was first learning the ropes. Would have made it a lot easier for me.
    Ditto I spent around 200 on humidors and humidifiers when 100 would have been plenty...
    Last edited by jiaguy; 01-14-2007 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spellin'

By the looks and sounds of it you have the same humidor (or at least style) that I have. I too had a problem with getting the RH up so I tried some aquarium sealer and it seems to have worked. In mine the glass actually came lose on it so it was easy to trouble shoot.

Thread Information