Thread: Newbie Questions

Default Newbie Questions

Ok, I have a few (two) questions that I'm sure many of you will be able to easily clarify for me...what exactly is B&M? I'm assuming it's a tobacco shop BUT is it some chain thing? or just a general term? And second, I've realized talking about Cubans on the forum is a bit in bad taste..BUT..at the local tobaaco shop by my house they've been advertising these "legal Cubans", is that some bogus thing? I want to try them, but I don't entirely trust the advertising.I mean, the guy says that they're pre-embargo tobacco(some person "forgot" he had all of this Cuban tobacco in storage somewhere,found it, had it rolled blah....blah...blah), which I understand would make them perfectly fine to purchase/own etc. etc....BUT they seem entirely too cheap to be true Cubans. (You can grab a small stick for 4.50, and the larger ones for roughly $10-$12) I'm hoping that one of you know better about this. Again, thank you for for the welcome...and thank you in advance for any replies.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBear7987 View Post
    Ok, I have a few (two) questions that I'm sure many of you will be able to easily clarify for me...what exactly is B&M? I'm assuming it's a tobacco shop BUT is it some chain thing? or just a general term? And second, I've realized talking about Cubans on the forum is a bit in bad taste..BUT..at the local tobaaco shop by my house they've been advertising these "legal Cubans", is that some bogus thing? I want to try them, but I don't entirely trust the advertising.I mean, the guy says that they're pre-embargo tobacco(some person "forgot" he had all of this Cuban tobacco in storage somewhere,found it, had it rolled blah....blah...blah), which I understand would make them perfectly fine to purchase/own etc. etc....BUT they seem entirely too cheap to be true Cubans. (You can grab a small stick for 4.50, and the larger ones for roughly $10-$12) I'm hoping that one of you know better about this. Again, thank you for for the welcome...and thank you in advance for any replies.
    First off, look up at the search option... its very usefull... i suggest browsing the 'newbie guide' thread http://www.cigarsmokers.com/showthre...t=newbie+guide ; but to answer your question, B&M is just a general term for cigar shops.

Second, say ISOMs.... thats seems to be the P.C. term around here, its defined in that newbie guide i mentioned.

Third, who cares if those sticks are true ISOMs or not, if they're cheap, go try em. If ya dont like em, so what they were cheap... if you do, well you found yourself a good cheap smoke.

B&M = Brick and Mortar

You could give the pre-embargo cuban stuff a try. Don't get your hopes up. It is possible to get cigars that have pre-embargo cuban tobacco in them. It's more hype than anything, for that amount of money you can buy some really good cigars. I'd pass.

Alright, thanks for the information and advice.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by UCBear7987 View Post
    The cigars you are talking about sound like Pinar. Does that ring a bell ? I hear they are very good.
    "You shut your mouth while your talking to me"

Pinar? No, doesn't really ring a bell...but then again I haven't been to the smoke shop in a while. Finally, going home for the weekend so I'll be able to take a look then. I guess I'll give them a try when I do. God, I hope the weather stays nice enough for me to be able to sit out on my porch and enjoy them. Again, thanks for the replies.

bigsmoke Guest

ISOM's are the best cigars in the world. These ones they are trying to sell you are not legit.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    ISOM's are the best cigars in the world. These ones they are trying to sell you are not legit.
    Actually they most likely are legit in a sense. They are rolled with pre-embargo tobacco. However this could mean that a bit of the stuff is sprinkled in. And who knows the quality of the tobacco, or how it was stored for the past 50 or so years.

From what I understand, they aren't bad sticks, but aren't great either. If you want, try them. If you like them, great. If not, good too. You are only out 10 or so bucks.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke View Post
    That is extremely subjective. While most ISOMs are very good, I don't think they are the be all/end all. A lot of the allure of ISOMs is that they aren't legal in the US. When I first started this hobby I tended to think that an ISOM would be heads above other cigars that were legal. as the song says, "It Ain't Necessarily So."

The Pre-Embargo cubans have not been given a good reception. From what I understand, bales of cuban tobacco imported into the US before the embargo were supposedly found in some warehouse in the US which makes it legal. There was no mention of the quality, care, or specific origin of the tobacco, only that it was Cuban. Since then a bunch of cigar makers have jumped on the bandwagon and started using this tobacco to roll "pre-embargo cuban" cigars.

That doesn't mean that they are 100% cuban, nor does it mean that they are among the best cigars in the world. In fact, most reviews that I have read haven't been too kind.

While you can buy pre-embargo cigars that were rolled before the embargo and properly cared for, they are very expensive and not usually generally available in your local B&M.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 03-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Atleast now I don't feel like an ass for my skepticism when I was talking to the shop's owner. Thanks again for the incite.

Keep in mind that pre-embargo tobacco is really, really old.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    That is extremely subjective. While most ISOMs are very good, I don't think they are the be all/end all. A lot of the allure of ISOMs is that they aren't legal in the US. When I first started this hobby I tended to think that an ISOM would be heads above other cigars that were legal. as the song says, "It Ain't Necessarily So."

That doesn't mean that they are 100% cuban, nor does it mean that they are among the best cigars in the world. In fact, most reviews that I have read haven't been too kind.

I tired one of those pre-embargo sticks, wasn't great they are rolled a little too loose and had quite the acidity too them. The only reason people buy them is because the novelty of the 'cuban' tabacco. When I bought one my B&M owner warned me not to expect much. Genuine ISOMs are pretty good but not the best of the best and are more for the status symbol most of the time. Most BOTLs have a few sticks usually to have in celebration or something like that. Start trading and you may get one or two I know I have personally sent five and received one!
    Last edited by jiaguy; 03-21-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: spelling monster
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

bigpoppapuff Guest

these aren't bad,imho....less expensive than pinar etc.....and they're available through camino viejo (hex)....

Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars

These Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars are hand made in the Dominican Republic with tobacco harvested in Cuba before John F. Kennedy signed the Cuban embargo in 1962. These medium bodied cigars have an earthy taste with hints of dark chocolate and cream. This amazing blend combines Pre Embargo Cuban and Dominican filler with a Brazilian maduro wrapper. You will smoke these until your fingers burn!

Each 5 pack is wrapped in burlap and contains a label with the lot number of the tobacco used to make the cigar. 5 packs come in an open faced wooden box and make great gifts.

Each bundle of 25 is wrapped in burlap and contains a label with the lot number of the tobacco used to make the cigar.

Free Shipping! (within the United States)

price quantity
    Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Toro (Box of 5) $44.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Torpedo (Box of 5) $44.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Churchill (Box of 5) $44.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Toro (Bundle of 25) $149.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Churchill (Bundle of 25) $154.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Vuelta Abajo Pre Embargo Torpedo (Bundle of 25) $159.95 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Out of stock

bigsmoke Guest

I stand by my words that ISOM's are the best cigars in the world. I have the luxury of being able to choose what I smoke. My friends south of the border who supposedly are free to decide for themselves do not legally have the choice of picking a Cuban or another cigar. As for the pre embargo cuban cigars? How cuban can they be if they were not rolled in Cuba? I have been to the Partagas factory in Havana and it is quite a sight to be seen. Often immitated never duplicated, the saying goes. There is no novelty about Cuban cigars, they are the best, and for many reasons.

bigsmoke Guest

Once agian my post above is just my opinion. If you don't agree, that is fine. I don't want to start a war here.

Bigsmoke - I respect your opinion. In my opinion there are others that are just as good, maybe even better if subjectivity were a non issue. If ISOM's were legally available in the US I would still be buying more expensive non-ISOM's as well. I suspect many others would do the same. My message to newbies in the US is not to get wrapped up in the hype. There are lots of great cigars that are legally available right around the corner.

JMHO

BTW: The original question was in regards to what are pretty universally known as "pre-embargo Cuban cigars." No one was discussing cuban cigars until you brought it up.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 03-21-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Indeed, often ISOMS are underaged, ammonia filled cause they have only been shelved for a few weeks from the date code. If thats what you mean by the best then go for it. I seriously think the quality of the tabacco is the best but the rollers are no longer the best.

In Camaguey I saw a Cohiba cabinet box with a date stamp that was most 15 days old. There was probably enough ammonia in it to set off a bomb detector. Any ISOM fan can tell you their quality is going south as production is upped at a huge rate. Also a large percentage of ISOMS are still consumed in the US embargo or not.
    Jia Li
    1345 Washtenaw Ave
    Ann Arbor, MI

Quote Originally Posted by jiaguy View Post

Indeed, often ISOMS are underaged, ammonia filled cause they have only been shelved for a few weeks from the date code. If thats what you mean by the best then go for it. I seriously think the quality of the tabacco is the best but the rollers are no longer the best.

In Camaguey I saw a Cohiba cabinet box with a date stamp that was most 15 days old. There was probably enough ammonia in it to set off a bomb detector. Any ISOM fan can tell you their quality is going south as production is upped at a huge rate. Also a large percentage of ISOMS are still consumed in the US embargo or not.
    I agree with both of you. My favorite stick is an ISOM, but there are a lot of non-cubans that are very close.

jiaguy, arguably the same could be said for a lot of non-cubans as well...*cough*ESG*cough* I had one fresh, and it was horrible. Had one recently and they are sure coming around. Definitely one of my top 5 sticks ATM.
    Last edited by drew_goring; 03-21-2007 at 09:08 PM.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thread Information