Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the wrong guy....

bigpoppapuff Guest

Default the wrong guy....

Testing Available Since ’90s DNA from ’83, ’84 rapes matches Sanchez, DA says
    By Maki Becker NEWS STAFF REPORTER
    Updated: 03/29/07 6:34 AM

SAVE EMAIL PRINT POPULAR + Larger Font + Smaller Font An innocent man who has been in prison for almost 22 years after being wrongly convicted of two Delaware Park rapes was exonerated Wednesday by DNA evidence — evidence that had been stored in a cabinet at Erie County Medical Center for as long as he has been behind bars.

“At last, he’s been vindicated,” said Thomas C. D’Agostino, the defense attorney who represented Anthony J. Capozzi during his trial and has been fighting for his release ever since.

“He’s always said he didn’t do it,” D’Agostino said.

Erie County District Attorney Frank J. Clark made the stunning announcement during a packed news conference Wednesday morning that not only did the newly found DNA evidence prove that Capozzi was innocent — but that it matched the DNA of the alleged Bike Path Killer.

“The DNA was not of Anthony Capozzi,” Clark said of the slides submitted under subpoena by the hospital last week. “It was Altemio Sanchez.”

Experts say the technology to analyze such DNA evidence has been available since the mid-1990s.

Sanchez, arrested in January, has been indicted in three murders and has been linked through DNA to a series of rapes of women on bike paths and other secluded spots throughout the area.

Capozzi, who is currently in prison at Marcy Correctional Facility, is expected to be granted parole when he goes before the Parole Board next week, based on the new evidence and letters of support from the district attorney and police officers who reopened his case, D’Agostino said.

Capozzi already has gone before the board five times, but his refusal to admit to the rapes has led to his being denied parole.

D’Agostino also is filing a motion to have Capozzi’s conviction vacated, and Clark said he has agreed not to retry him. That will mean Capozzi will not only be free, but also rid of any suspicion. Capozzi could be let out of prison next week, or by the end of next month at the latest.

The path to Capozzi’s vindication began as detectives on the Bike Path Rapist Task Force, who helped catch Sanchez, came across Capozzi’s case as they pored over paperwork from old rape investigations.

The case caught their attention because the rapes Capozzi was accused of committing occurred in Delaware Park in 1983 and 1984.

The investigators already had conclusively linked Sanchez to two other rapes in the park: in 1981 and 1986.

Detectives Dennis A. Delano and Lissa M. Redmond continued to look into the Capozzi case, even after Sanchez’s arrest, and began raising questions about whether the wrong man had gone to prison.

Simultaneously, D’Agostino was working with Clark to try to free his client.

But time and again, the investigators, D’Agostino and Clark kept running into a wall — the shared belief that there was no physical evidence that could point to Capozzi’s innocence or guilt.

Capozzi, who resembled Sanchez at the time of the Delaware Park attacks, had been convicted based on the testimony of the rape victims, who had picked him out of police lineups.

The best anyone hoped for Capozzi was for the Parole Board to take into consideration the developments in the bike path investigation when Capozzi came up for parole next month.

But that all changed on one snowy day shortly after Sanchez’s arrest as Evans Police Detective Lt. Samuel V. De- John drove in the Southtowns with Amherst Detective Eddie Monin. While not on the official task force, they, too, were investigating unsolved rapes with possible connections to the Bike Path Killer, including one in 1977 in Evans.

DeJohn recalled lamenting to Monin that his department had thrown out physical evidence from that investigation — leaving no chance of testing for traces of DNA that could connect it to the Bike Path Killer.

Monin had a suggestion: “Did you ever think that maybe ECMC retained some of that stuff? You never know.”

DeJohn called the hospital and learned, much to his surprise, that the hospital did, in fact, have a huge catalog of glass slides, taken as part of standard rape kits performed on victims, that dated back from 1973 and went up to 2002.

The hospital did not have a slide for the 1977 victim, DeJohn said.

But DeJohn said he decided to e-mail Deputy District Attorney Frank A. Sedita III to let him know — just in case he didn’t — that these slides existed.

It appears that no one in local law enforcement had any idea that these slides existed, although there had been rumors about the possibility of old evidence lingering at ECMC and other hospitals.

Clark said Wednesday that his office, and numerous other law enforcement agencies, had made inquiries to ECMC previously about old evidence but never got anywhere until a subpoena was served to the hospital last week. “We were chasing our tails,” Clark said.

Clark said his office made three or four attempts to obtain old evidence. D’Agostino said that it was his understanding that another lawyer, a friend of the Capozzis, also contacted ECMC.

No one got any results, according to Clark, until his office made contact with Dr. James J. Woytash, who is both the head of pathology at ECMC and the chief medical examiner for Erie County.

“Then, it was like ‘open sesame,’ ” Clark said.

ECMC attorney Anthony J. Colucci III said he is not aware of any law enforcement agencies having asked for slides until the hospital was sent a subpoena via e-mail March 16.

He also said he does not know of any other subpoenas for the slides or any other attempts by law enforcement officers or lawyers to obtain the evidence.

The March 16 subpoena included a long list of slides and other possible physical evidence connected with the investigations of attacks on several rape victims, including the women involved in Capozzi’s case.

The hospital was ordered to produce the evidence by March 20, Colucci said.

“We were digging around like crazy,” he said. “People came in over the weekend, even though they didn’t have to.”

The slides from the victims of the rapes for which Capozzi was convicted, along with those of other victims that police were interested in having analyzed, were submitted March 20.

D’Agostino said Capozzi and his family are not ready yet to consider whether they might pursue any kind of civil action against the county or the hospital for his wrongful incarceration.

Clark said that he does not know why law enforcement agencies were not able to access the slides until now but that he expects many inmates convicted of rape to try to have their cases reopened.

“I have no doubt that we will be deluged,” he said.

Woytash, too, said he does not understand why there was so little information available about the slides.

“All I can say is that when I was asked — and that was just a couple of weeks ago — that’s when we said, ‘Oh, yeah, we’ll look for so-and-so’s slide.’ ”

Woytash, who has been at ECMC since 1999, said he cannot recall ever being asked to find the slides for investigations. He said there might have been some confusion because rape kits are now handled exclusively by the countyrun Central Police Services forensic lab.

“I don’t think its anyone’s fault,” he said of the lack of communication over the slides, but he said he is ecstatic to help exonerate an innocent man.

“Unfortunately, in my line of work, you see every sad case that’s possible,” he said. “This is one of the times when you really make a difference.”

Blog Entries

There are hundreds of similar stories, why is this one so special?

Was there some reference to cigars in there that I missed?

Nice waste of bandwidth!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

This is "General Discussion" is it not? No cigars need be mentioned.

On the other hand, I don't really give a shit about the story.

The story brings up a question as to whether or not it is more important to save one person from incorrect prosecution as opposed to occasionally incarcerating one person incorrectly for the good of society. It also seems to bring up some pretty interesting discussion points about the inadequacies of law enforcement to look for relevant evidence in a case.

Of course, it's not nearly as interesting as some guy in Chicago who owns a hot dog stand being fined $250.

Hefty, and others - I wouldn't worry too much about replying to Bill's nonsense posts. Let's get this all out in the open once and for all...

Bill is just trolling for a fight that Sid and I are not going to give him. I would suggest that others just ignore these kinds of posts from him. Bill has been stalking me and Sid ever since we had a little political disagreement last year. We have tried not to reply to him only because of a request that Hex made to all of us involved in the disagreement last year, including Bill. Hex has been tearing his hair out with Bill trying to get him to let the past go, but Bill just continues to be an irritant. Apparantly he wont consider the job finished until Sid and I either leave the board or get banned.

Now that it's out in the open, I will say publically that I have a couple of things going on the board, I have my anniversary contest going, I am involved in the Birthday club and Chefchris and I are trying to pull a herf together in Atlanta at the end of May - which I will make. I have told Hex, as has Sid, that come June I am gone. It really hurts that I have to leave this board. I have made quite a few friends here, but I can't see continuing here knowing that it's just a matter of time before Bill starts up again.

So there you go Bill. Just stick around until June and you will "win." No need to harass me any more, you've accomplished your mission.

Now, let's see what other names you can pull out of your ass for me.

Whew... Bill has been a busy little newsboy, hasn't he?

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    that come June I am gone.
    I think you need to reconsider. You are an active member that contributes to the value of this board.

Might I suggest a truce between Bill, Sid and you. All three of you guys have something worthwile to offer this place.

Just my two cents worth.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    I think you need to reconsider. You are an active member that contributes to the value of this board.

Might I suggest a truce between Bill, Sid and you. All three of you guys have something worthwile to offer this place.

Just my two cents worth.
    What he said.
    {*insert snide remark here*}
    Trader Rating: +2112

Thanks for the support here. Unfortunately I don't think there can be a truce with Bill. I have tried since last year to keep things down on this board. I've bit my tongue and kept quiet too many times here. Even if we come to an agreement, it'll be just a matter of time before he starts up on someone else. The truth of the matter is that we've already lost members because of Bill's bullying. I really don't think I will be able to stand by and watch it happen to somebody else again.

For those of you who have sent PM's, thank you.

By the way, I will continue to be an active member until the birthday club thread is completed. Don't let this affect your vote in my anniversary contest. I'm still gonna do what I can to be as unpredictable with my number of posts as possible!

If you haven't voted, do so. I'm having fun with the contest and I hope those who entered are, too. Hell, I'll even send the prize to Bill if he enters and wins. All I will need is his current address up there in Nova Scotia.

bigpoppapuff Guest

virtually every time i post bill stalks me...fuck him and his ass lickers...i'm out of here soon...if he's still here...i'm gone...

bigpoppapuff Guest

By the way, I will continue to be an active member until the birthday club thread is completed. Don't let this affect your vote in my anniversary contest. I'm still gonna do what I can to be as unpredictable with my number of posts as possible!

If you haven't voted, do so. I'm having fun with the contest and I hope those who entered are, too. Hell, I'll even send the prize to Bill if he enters and wins. All I will need is his current address up there in Nova Scotia.

i have his address in chaplin...nova scotia,it isn't...

There are plenty of stories out there like this that most people never hear of. Unfortunately the justice system isn’t perfect, look at the current state of Quntanomo Bay. If you don’t know what I’m talking about you should read up on it.

Thanks for the support here. Unfortunately I don't think there can be a truce with Bill. I have tried since last year to keep things down on this board. I've bit my tongue and kept quiet too many times here. Even if we come to an agreement, it'll be just a matter of time before he starts up on someone else. The truth of the matter is that we've already lost members because of Bill's bullying. I really don't think I will be able to stand by and watch it happen to somebody else again.

For those of you who have sent PM's, thank you.
    You are at odds with Bill because you don't understand Bill. If you understood him, you would not be at odds with him. Believe me - it's true.

Bill is not a big green ogre. Bill is Bill. He's brash - he's loud - many times he's obnoxious - but Bill is a very stand up, trustworthy guy. Agree with his politics or not - Like his personality or not - Bill really is the kind of person you'd want to be a member of your cigar board if you really wanted it to be a good place to be.

Sid - you did screw up big time. You've done things you'd would be all over others for doing. I know you really don't think you screwed up. I having serious doubts you'll ever understand how or where you screwed up. And I see you growing more bitter by the day. I've resigned myself to that. It is what it is. It's a shame - I miss the old Sid - but I honestly don't see how it can return to the way it was "back then".

So - do what you must. Stay. Leave. Argue. Kiss and make up.. Whatever you think is best - just do it...

Blog Entries

The story brings up a question as to whether or not it is more important to save one person from incorrect prosecution as opposed to occasionally incarcerating one person incorrectly for the good of society. It also seems to bring up some pretty interesting discussion points about the inadequacies of law enforcement to look for relevant evidence in a case.

Of course, it's not nearly as interesting as some guy in Chicago who owns a hot dog stand being fined $250.

Hefty, and others - I wouldn't worry too much about replying to Bill's nonsense posts. Let's get this all out in the open once and for all...

Bill is just trolling for a fight that Sid and I are not going to give him. I would suggest that others just ignore these kinds of posts from him. Bill has been stalking me and Sid ever since we had a little political disagreement last year. We have tried not to reply to him only because of a request that Hex made to all of us involved in the disagreement last year, including Bill. Hex has been tearing his hair out with Bill trying to get him to let the past go, but Bill just continues to be an irritant. Apparantly he wont consider the job finished until Sid and I either leave the board or get banned.

Now that it's out in the open, I will say publically that I have a couple of things going on the board, I have my anniversary contest going, I am involved in the Birthday club and Chefchris and I are trying to pull a herf together in Atlanta at the end of May - which I will make. I have told Hex, as has Sid, that come June I am gone. It really hurts that I have to leave this board. I have made quite a few friends here, but I can't see continuing here knowing that it's just a matter of time before Bill starts up again.

So there you go Bill. Just stick around until June and you will "win." No need to harass me any more, you've accomplished your mission.

Now, let's see what other names you can pull out of your ass for me.
    If you're leaving, I'm leaving..........

Tell me where you're going
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapuff View Post
    virtually every time i post bill stalks me...fuck him and his ass lickers...i'm out of here soon...if he's still here...i'm gone...
    No need for your constant use of vulgar language or your lies, no one is "stalking" you. If you really think that, you're one sick little boy.

I'm not going anywhere sid, if you want to continue to sulk, cause trouble and pollute the board with your BS. You just keep doing that, you're only hurting yourself.

As George said, you screwed up here BIG TIME and it's truly a shame you can't and/or refuse to understand that.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You are at odds with Bill because you don't understand Bill. If you understood him, you would not be at odds with him. Believe me - it's true.

Bill is not a big green ogre. Bill is Bill. He's brash - he's loud - many times he's obnoxious - but Bill is a very stand up, trustworthy guy. Agree with his politics or not - Like his personality or not - Bill really is the kind of person you'd want to be a member of your cigar board if you really wanted it to be a good place to be.

Sid - you did screw up big time. You've done things you'd would be all over others for doing. I know you really don't think you screwed up. I having serious doubts you'll ever understand how or where you screwed up. And I see you growing more bitter by the day. I've resigned myself to that. It is what it is. It's a shame - I miss the old Sid - but I honestly don't see how it can return to the way it was "back then".

So - do what you must. Stay. Leave. Argue. Kiss and make up.. Whatever you think is best - just do it...
    You know, George, I'm a nice, stand up, trustworthy guy, too, in my own way. So is Sid in his own way. In fact, Sid has gone out of his way to help people feel comfortable on this board and to help people on and off this board. I don't understand how you can say that it's OK for Bill to bully, try to intimidate, stalk and abuse others just because he's a "nice guy."

You say Bill is the kind of guy you would want on a cigar board. Maybe you want a person who is constantly at odds with one person or another for one thing or another, somebody who is always in the middle of whatever controversy is going on, and a guy who stalks other members and drives people away from your board, ignores your requests as the board operator and uses the forum as his own personal sandbox, but I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't understand how you can defend that behavior while condemning Sid in the same breath. I can only assume that you are defending him because he is your friend, but his past behavior tells me you are just plain wrong to side with him on this.

I have been visiting other boards here lately and I have to say that this is the only one where personal attacks on individual members is condoned. I don't understand it and I don't want to continue to see it. Since I can't change things here, the only way I can get it out of my life is to go away.

So the bottom line is that he will be free to continue his little tantrums while he's being a nice stand-up guy. I have chosen to respect Hex's request. If Bill had done the same maybe we wouldn't be here, but I don't think Bill will ever respect anyone but himself. So I will leave rather than continue to look over my shoulder. He has not made me feel welcome or even comfortable on this board. I didn't come on this board to be stalked and abused, yet that is exactly what Bill has done. Rather than disrespect the wishes of the guy who pays the bills and provides the board. I will leave. Just remember what a good guy Bill is the next time he runs somebody off.

By the way, if it's ever going to return to the way it was "back then" everybody involved has to commit to it. It can't be all one sided.
    Last edited by Shelby07; 03-30-2007 at 12:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    If you're leaving, I'm leaving..........

Tell me where you're going
    What a NICE GUY!

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    No need for your constant use of vulgar language or your lies, no one is "stalking" you. If you really think that, you're one sick little boy.

I'm not going anywhere sid, if you want to continue to sulk, cause trouble and pollute the board with your BS. You just keep doing that, you're only hurting yourself.

As George said, you screwed up here BIG TIME and it's truly a shame you can't and/or refuse to understand that.
    What a NICE GUY!

You know, George, I'm a nice, stand up, trustworthy guy, too, in my own way. So is Sid in his own way. In fact, Sid has gone out of his way to help people feel comfortable on this board and to help people on and off this board. I don't understand how you can say that it's OK for Bill to bully, try to intimidate, stalk and abuse others just because he's a "nice guy."

You say Bill is the kind of guy you would want on a cigar board. Maybe you want a person who is constantly at odds with one person or another for one thing or another, somebody who is always in the middle of whatever controversy is going on, and a guy who stalks other members and drives people away from your board, ignores your requests as the board operator and uses the forum as his own personal sandbox, but I sure as hell wouldn't. I don't understand how you can defend that behavior while condemning Sid in the same breath. I can only assume that you are defending him because he is your friend, but his past behavior tells me you are just plain wrong to side with him on this.

I have been visiting other boards here lately and I have to say that this is the only one where personal attacks on individual members is condoned. I don't understand it and I don't want to continue to see it. Since I can't change things here, the only way I can get it out of my life is to go away.

So the bottom line is that he will be free to continue his little tantrums while he's being a nice stand-up guy. I have chosen to respect Hex's request. If Bill had done the same maybe we wouldn't be here, but I don't think Bill will ever respect anyone but himself. So I will leave rather than continue to look over my shoulder. He has not made me feel welcome or even comfortable on this board. I didn't come on this board to be stalked and abused, yet that is exactly what Bill has done. Rather than disrespect the wishes of the guy who pays the bills and provides the board. I will leave. Just remember what a good guy Bill is the next time he runs somebody off.

By the way, if it's ever going to return to the way it was "back then" everybody involved has to commit to it. It can't be all one sided.

I don't think you'll disagree that if you only have a short glimpse of something, it sure could be skewed. If you take a longer look, it tends to be more realistic.

You must have patience...

What a NICE GUY!
    C'mon, Shelby! He wants a hug!!

What - you don't like hugs??

Thread Information