Thread: Fake cigars

1. Default Fake cigars

I don't know whether you've come across this before but it is very interesting.

Point number 8 in the "additional helpful tips" is very very scary!!!

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/co...eit/index.html

I told someone that the other day, and they refused to believe me. I wonder if there's any kind of evidence to back that up. I'd guess there won't be a government study on fake ISOMs any time in the near future. Too bad, really.

3. Default

I was in a store the other day and bought a cigar which was suppose to be a cuban cigar. I asked why I was able yto purchase a cigar which was illegal in the USA and I was told that you can purchase Cubans as long as they are not rolled here.
    In others words the Tabacco leafs were from Cuba and it was rolled here.

By the way, that cigar was not marked with a band and I didnt take a look at what the box actually said on it.

Whats the deal with this scenario?

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ironworker
    I was in a store the other day and bought a cigar which was suppose to be a cuban cigar. I asked why I was able yto purchase a cigar which was illegal in the USA and I was told that you can purchase Cubans as long as they are not rolled here.
    In others words the Tabacco leafs were from Cuba and it was rolled here.

By the way, that cigar was not marked with a band and I didnt take a look at what the box actually said on it.

Whats the deal with this scenario?

Rich

If it's a deep chestnut color, with very nice construction, those are probably Pinar cigars. If it's a medium brown, rough looking and has an end that looks like it should have been cut and wasn't, that's a Gurkha Pre-embargo cuban cigar. Both are fairly expensive (I like the Pinar better than the Gurkha - and both seem overpriced for how they smoke), and fairly easy to get.

Both are "pre-embargo" Cuban cigars (the tobacco is supposed to be from Cuba from BEFORE the embargo - hence, they are legal). Most seem to think they are of questionable origin, since any tobacco leaves from pre-1960's would have to be virutally unsmokeable by now. If there is pre-embargo cuban tobacco in there, it is in a small quantity compared to the other tobacco's that are mixed with it.

My opinion - they're both interesting and "decent" cigars, but way overpriced. I guess you've got to try it once to say you have - and then go back to the Partagas 8-9-8!!! Or, if you're going to spend the money, get an Opus X or Davidoff Millenium Blend cigar. Much better for the money, IMO.

5. Default

Thanks ggise, I will try thyose other cigars too. You can't say much bad about the Partagas 898's. By far its the best cigar I have ever smoked. I cant wait to explore the world of cigars and have more knowledge like most here.

Rich.

Cohibanut, sorry for Hi-Jackin the thread

Rich

i love pinars. my old lady spent 24 on my first one, but now i get them for around 10 from seriouscigars.com

Thread Information