Thread: humidor beads. do i still need hygrometer?

Default humidor beads. do i still need hygrometer?

I was wondering how accurate the beads really are. Would i need a hygrometer still if i kept the beads moist? I have heard they keep great accurancy and need very little maintanence and i wondering if i would save on buying a hygrometer if its guarenteed to hold say a 65% humidity level. I mean as long as i keep them moist it shouldn't be a problem right?

Im brand new at this so sorry for any ignorance. I really appreciate any knowledge past onto me.

-victor

yeah, they're pretty accurate, i keep one extra hydrometer on hand just to occasionally check the rh in my coolidors/otterbox... as long as you have 1 hydrometer and use it to make sure the beads are keeping the rh, you shouldn't have to get a seperate hydro just for whereever you got your beads, but it couldn't hurt. by the way, go post an introduction so we can know who you are.

Blog Entries

Check around your local Wal-Mart. I found a temp/hygrometer combo for less then $3.00 while on one of my late night Wal-Mart trips last week. I bought the last 2 at my local store.

It's made by a company called Springfield and I found it close to the hardware section with the other temprature/humidity guages. Its +/- 5% on the humidity (which seems kind of high) but for $3.00 you can't really go wrong.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848 View Post
    Check around your local Wal-Mart. I found a temp/hygrometer combo for less then $3.00 while on one of my late night Wal-Mart trips last week. I bought the last 2 at my local store.

It's made by a company called Springfield and I found it close to the hardware section with the other temprature/humidity guages. Its +/- 5% on the humidity (which seems kind of high) but for $3.00 you can't really go wrong.
    Nice find, I have to check that out.

I use 65% beads in my cooler and havent used a hygro for a long time,seems to work out fine.IMHO

im still deciding between 65% and 70%. i would rather have a more moist cigar as it would be easier to dry out if anything. there is a prediction of a really hot summer here in toronto. does the higher temperature usualy raise the humidity level or lower it?

thanks again! i really appreciate all the advice.

I started out with 70% beads.I feel like my cigars burn a little better at 65.

I started with 70 (and still have 3 humidors at 70) but just set my new 100 count up with 65 for my i s o ms.

If I was to start over I'd just stick with 65 ('cause you know you're gonna end up with a bunch of i s o ms sooner or later).
    "Science is a candle in the dark" - some science guy

MMmmm... scotch. Another love.

Quote Originally Posted by rsanz View Post
    I started with 70 (and still have 3 humidors at 70) but just set my new 100 count up with 65 for my i s o ms.

If I was to start over I'd just stick with 65 ('cause you know you're gonna end up with a bunch of i s o ms sooner or later).
    so i should keep cigars at 70 and isom cigs at 65?
    is this a hard fast rule? or preference?
    im just starting out and dont really have the cash to start up 2 humidors.

thanks

If you wanna save cash set up a coolerdor.

I have one hygrometer for two humidors even though I use beads. I like to check the RH level to see if the beads need a little spritz of distilled water. I use a Diamond Crown hygrometer; it's very pricey but very accurate, to +/- 1%.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I have one Digital Hygrometer for my Humidor and Coolidor. I mainly keep it in my Coolidor, and move it around to make sure I have 65% in different areas. I'd put it in my humidor if I'm about to add more Distilled water to the beads, just to make sure I don't put too much or too little.

I used to think 70% was a good level for humidity, but after a while, I prefer the burn and taste of the cigar with 65%. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyCold5 View Post
    I have one Digital Hygrometer for my Humidor and Coolidor. I mainly keep it in my Coolidor, and move it around to make sure I have 65% in different areas. I'd put it in my humidor if I'm about to add more Distilled water to the beads, just to make sure I don't put too much or too little.

I used to think 70% was a good level for humidity, but after a while, I prefer the burn and taste of the cigar with 65%. Hope this helps.
    thanks! im just setting up my humi. i ordered 70% beads from heartfelt. i duno which i would prefer but i figure i can always let it dry out a lil if anything vs. the other way round.

i do plan on having cubans tho. is it gona be a problem keepin them at 70% or should i build a secondary lil set up just for them at 65%. ive heard a few people state that 65% is best for them and 70% best for other cigars.

can anyone validate this? i dont wana end up damaging any cigars my first go.

thanks

To each his own. Cigars will not damage if your Humidity is at 65% or 70%. As you smoke more cigars, and start tasting the different flavors and characteristics of each cigar you smoke, you tend to pin-point certain things to improve on your cigar experience.

You will start finding out you prefer a cigar with more humidity, and certain cigars with less humidity. At this point in your cigar-life, you should experiment on what you want out of your own "experience". Keep your cubans (since you are in Canada and it's legal) at 70% and smoke one. If you find that it burns uneven, or having to re-lite the cigar because it burns out a lot, or was too harsh for you, etc, then adjust Humidity and maybe the temperature you have in your humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by victory01 View Post
    thanks! im just setting up my humi. i ordered 70% beads from heartfelt. i duno which i would prefer but i figure i can always let it dry out a lil if anything vs. the other way round.

i do plan on having cubans tho. is it gona be a problem keepin them at 70% or should i build a secondary lil set up just for them at 65%. ive heard a few people state that 65% is best for them and 70% best for other cigars.

can anyone validate this? i dont wana end up damaging any cigars my first go.

thanks

I find that I prefer something like 68%, at least that is the humidity that seems to have the best results for me.

I have one reliable hygrometer that i switch between my stashes to identify when things need topping up.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Thread Information