Thread: Now I need a coolidor!

Default Now I need a coolidor!

Got a 24 box of Torano Exodus! Wow! What an awsome looking cedar box they come in! Stained red with Torano engraved on the lid! Three trays! Well I didn't want to take them out of the box and put them in my humidor so I thought I would start a coolidor. Well I tried a few of the coolers we had in the garage. The Igloo brand coolers sucked bad. I added water to all the coolers and turned them upside down to see what kind of seal they had. The largest Coleman cooler we had actually had the best seal. The water would just dribble out of it when I turned it upside down. All the other coolers would just let the water pour right out when I flipped it around. Anyways, I tossed in a few empty cedar cigarello boxs and put in two humidifiers soaked in water along side a shot glass of distilled water. I threw my digital Hygrometer in so we see what it says in the morning. How well of a seal do your coolidors have people?
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    How well of a seal do your coolidors have people?
    First, let me be the first to say, congratulations!. Those are some excellent cigars. A lot of people prefer the silvers, but I maintain that the regular Exodus is better hands down. Yes, the box they come in is very impressive. I've converted the one that I have into a "keepsake" thing for the Mrs. I lined it with felt and she has put it to good use. I don't know about you, but that box is awesome to drool over.

In regards to your question-I'm not certain that coolidors are necessarily air tight. The tighter the better I suppose. What matters is that your temp and humidity can stabilize and that there isn't a wide fluctuation in either category. If you have to keep re-charging the beads/sponge all the time, it's a sign that too much air is getting in and that the porous state of the coolidor is threatening the very existence of your 'gars. After you do your salt test, it's fair to say that you can put the cigars in and try to withstand the temptation of opening the darn thing every twenty minutes to drool or fret obsessively over the rph %.

Were those GOLD or SILVER?

I am such an always stirring up the .

I am ashamed

Actually which ever you got they are very good cigars. My preference leans toward the Silver.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Uhm, it was the gold, because I didnt mention it you should of known that
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

SFG75 Guest

Uhm, it was the gold, because I didnt mention it you should of known that

Don't mind him Roham, he's just a newbie. Gotta be forgiving towards the rookies ya know.

there are these digital hygrometers that have a wireless sensor on them, to put outside. would this be accurate enough to put the sensor in a coolidor and hang the home unit on a wall next to your bed where you can always see it.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis4082
    there are these digital hygrometers that have a wireless sensor on them, to put outside. would this be accurate enough to put the sensor in a coolidor and hang the home unit on a wall next to your bed where you can always see it.
    Yes sir it would! Here's a good 'un:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=63-1089

Quote Originally Posted by SFG75
    Yes sir it would! Here's a good 'un:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=63-1089

Does this one have an alarm on it.

9. Default

I've never had a problem with my coolidor's seal, but why not try sticky sided weathe stripping? Just run it around the edge. This should help your seal.

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jdavis4082
    Does this one have an alarm on it.
    Better believe it.

I checked my digital Hygrometer tonight. And after just 24 hours its already at 75%. Thats with just one box of cigars, a shot glass of water and one humidifier

SFG75 Guest

I checked my digital Hygrometer tonight. And after just 24 hours its already at 75%. Thats with just one box of cigars, a shot glass of water and one humidifier

Sweet!, no you know that it is fairly air-tight. You have a sponge-like thingie in there? If so, you might need to get some excess water out of there and you should be set.

Thread Information