Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: cigar and a drink?

Blog Entries

I won a bottle of Glenfiddich single malt at a white elephant game with the family. Can't wait to try it. It will be my first single malt!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ndv21 View Post
    I won a bottle of Glenfiddich single malt at a white elephant game with the family. Can't wait to try it. It will be my first single malt!
    I just bought my first single malt 2 weeks ago. I really enjoy it on the rocks with a good cigar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camzben View Post
    I just bought my first single malt 2 weeks ago. I really enjoy it on the rocks with a good cigar.
    Which scotch do you pair with the anus cigars?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    The wife came home with some Chivas Regal 12 for me to try. It’s about gone now. I am not sure what kind I will get next but I will get some more scotch. It went very well with a VSG.

Blog Entries

LMAO.

The wife came home with some Chivas Regal 12 for me to try. It’s about gone now. I am not sure what kind I will get next but I will get some more scotch. It went very well with a VSG.
    That's not an anus cigar...
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    LMAO.

That's not an anus cigar...
    I am fresh out of them.

Blog Entries

I am fresh out of them.
    All is not lost, you have the source.

Blog Entries

All is not lost, you have the source.
    Yeah, didn't craig post the 800 number for ordering more of those on a thread here recently?

-Buzz
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Blog Entries

What single malt did you buy?

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrtr33 View Post
    What single malt did you buy?
    The kind I bought was called Balvenie 17 year. It was kind of pricey so I have been drinking the Chivas and saving the single malt for special occasions.
    Last edited by camzben; 12-18-2009 at 03:53 PM. Reason: I forgot the year. I am sure it makes a big difference.

Blog Entries

I had a glass of 10 yr. Tawny port last night with a smoke. It paired nicely and was sweet enough to accompany a cigar with a sweet flavor compenent. I'm not a scotch drinker, but I do enjoy a tawny port with a smoke. However, I am not particularly fond of ruby port with a smoke.
    Smoke em' if you got em'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    I love Ardbeg, Caol Ila and I managed to get my hands on a bottle of Port Ellen which is FANTASTIC! My favorite (and most the most ridiculously expensive bottle in my collection) is Ardbeg "Lord of the Isles" which is almost impossible to get these days. I also have a 30yo Bowmore kicking around here. A less peaty Islay is Bunnahabhain and I have a bottle of that as well. It's much lighter than the regular big-name Islays like Lagavulin and Laphroaig.

Earlier this evening, I had a few fingers of Ardbeg Uigeadial. At 108 proof, I can't drink it neat, I have to drop in an ice cube or two.
    I had a couple fingers of Ardbeg 10 year last night with a cigar. Not bad, very peaty with maybe some lemon taste. Got a good deal on it at totalwine too - $50

-Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I had a couple fingers of Ardbeg 10 year last night with a cigar. Not bad, very peaty with maybe some lemon taste. Got a good deal on it at totalwine too - $50

-Buzz
    Ardbeg - good stuff!

One you may wish to consider that has some of the Ardbeg characteristics, but is not so "in your face" (with the peaty-ness) is Oban. It's produced between the West Highlands and the Islands - so it has (I think) some of the best characteristics of both. I've quite enjoyed pairing Oban with a good cigar.

I personally like the Speyside Scotches. Craggenmore and Dailuaine are two of my favorites. Much lighter than the Islay's - citrusy, is the best way I can describe them.

...and Highlands Scotch - Dalmore. Momma was good to me and picked me up a bottle of the Dalmore King Alexander III last Xmas. I haven't opened it yet, but the samples I've had have blown me away...

Blog Entries

I have almost picked up a bottle of Oban twice now - I'll have to grab it on the third look. I think I have only seen the 14 year - should I seek out a different age?

-Buzz

The 14 yr is the youngest as far as I know but the 18 yr is well worth the coin if you can spare it. Oban has been my single malt of choice since visiting Scotland in college. I completely agree with George about it being a good balance between the Highlands & Islands. It's peaty but not so strong as Talisker and its ilk.

Blog Entries

Hopefully I will be able to pair this with a cigar tomorrow, because I think it would do extremely well. I am drinking a Goose Island Bourbon County stout. Simply amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    The 14 yr is the youngest as far as I know but the 18 yr is well worth the coin if you can spare it. Oban has been my single malt of choice since visiting Scotland in college. I completely agree with George about it being a good balance between the Highlands & Islands. It's peaty but not so strong as Talisker and its ilk.
    Have you tried the Dalmore Gran Reserva (formerly their "Cigar Malt")? It's a Highlands Scotch. To me - just a wee bit different, but it has many of the same rich, earthy kinds of characteristics (including the peaty-ness) I like in Oban. And - it also pairs very well with a cigar.

You lads have so much to learn.
    If it ain't made in Ireland, It's crap !
    Red Breast Pot stilled. LOL !
    It will always be a battle a day between those who want maximum change and those who want to maintain the status quo.
    ~ Gerry Adams

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Have you tried the Dalmore Gran Reserva (formerly their "Cigar Malt")? It's a Highlands Scotch. To me - just a wee bit different, but it has many of the same rich, earthy kinds of characteristics (including the peaty-ness) I like in Oban. And - it also pairs very well with a cigar.
    I've tried the Dalmore on several different occasions - can't do it. Maybe the Gran Reserva is different. Maybe.

I'm a big fan of the Oban as well. It's my second favorite.

Picked up a bottle of Old New Orleans Rum - Cajun Spice and drank the better part of the bottle while throwing darts with the father-in-law a few weeks back. Don't know if ya'll can find it where you are at, but it's really tasty!

Age Quod Agis

1 Strike

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I love a good full bodied smoke with a tall Oban and a splash of water I haven't tried Dalmore, at least not that I remember. There were a few hazy days in Edinburgh...I'll definitely have to pick up a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    You lads have so much to learn.
    If it ain't made in Ireland, It's crap !
    Red Breast Pot stilled. LOL !
    I've never enjoyed Irish whisky as much as single malts but I'll keep an open mind if I can ever find a bottle on this side of the pond.

Thread Information